FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woe is me!

Post Date: 2008-07-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MCLMM View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MCLMM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Woe is me!
    Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 7:18pm
Yea I am new to the DS community, and while I do not have a DS system yet I do plan to get one. Unfortunately I cannot afford it right now.

Well I am mourning for my now dead "gaming notebook". I have owned it for just over two years, I had it built by Sager (I can hear the laughter) and while I normally would not purchase such a thing due to the thermal and upgrade issues they face. I was deploying to Iraq for my second time and I needed something more portable than a desktop so I could take my PC gaming with me.
My problems started while I was playing one of my favorite shooters "Day of Defeat: Source". While pwning faces my frame rates  plummeted, to what reminded me of playing Max Payne using the slow motion feature. I spent hours troubleshooting the thing until I said "hell with it". Then I decided to just wipe my raid 0 array and start from scratch. Then another issue, when I would go through the windows install process my screen would shut off at random. Then the system would reboot on its own, over-and-over-again, until I forced it to shut down.
I don't smoke anymore so at this point I had almost used up a full can of copenhagen. I decided to take it to the nearby tech shop for a diagnostic. The guy was impressed that there was no dust or dirt inside. He said that because when other soldiers bring in their laptops complaining about issues he opens them up to find not only excess dust but sand, effing sand! As an enthusiast I know how to take care of my system whatever it may be at the time, so this made me lol.
Well the guy found the problem, my CPU and video card had heat damage. The screen and boot issue was a problem with the wiring that connects the display causing a short. With the price it will cost me to get replacement parts for the thing and the fact that the only upgrade available for a clevo D900K setup is a video card that is already obsolete in my opinion. I believe it would be smarter to just get something new. But until then, I am having major gaming withdraw symptoms. 

I will rejoice and be the happiest person in Tacoma Washington the day I can receive a DS rig at my door. I may even offer the delivery guy a beer...

You all take care and keep the sand out of your rig haha

edit: horrid typos

Edited by MCLMM - 16 Jul 2008 at 7:49pm
MCLMM View Drop Down

Quote MCLMM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 7:25pm
Harleyman, you have a HD? If so what model you ride?

I myself am a fellow HD fan and proud owner of an XL1200N
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 8:32pm
Hey..do you want a 9800GX2? I sell very low. It work long time..just dont overclock it one mhz or it burst into flame. Also, dont remove after just shutting down computer, it burn hand.

P.S Zotac sucks.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 4:59am
LOL@sunfighter!
Hey, how's ur xonar? and which one did you get? D2X?
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 1:15pm
You will love your new DS rig once you are able to afford it and place the order. I understand money woes holding you back, im currently saving up to rebuild my own system, and a second one on top of it for my partner.

To help with your gaming withdrawals though, perhaps you can look and see if there is a local internet cafe nearby you if thats an option? It would at least let you get online and game once in awhile so you dont have to go through total withdrawals. I know im cranky if I dont get my destress time to play my games.
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 2:38pm
I have to laugh at the Valley Girl comment harley, because if you saw me, that would totally not be your impression of me, haha. Although its not the first time someone has made the valley girl comment in regards to me, lol.
Sarah

BIGdumbANIMAL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BIGdumbANIMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 4:12pm
Welcome MCLMM,
        I saved for years to get a pc. I will not say how long but, the Patriots hadnt won a superbowl YET!!! With my money I looked long and hard for a reliable system that I would be able to get support for when in need. I googeled build pc and went through alot of sites. Then decided to google custom and............BOOM DS!!!!!!!   I checked the forums (after building my baby of course) and found a nice atmosphere with plenty of regulars that seemed to know there computers. I have since ordered my baby (stage 3 btw!!) and I am slowly pulling my nails out and biting my hair................................WAIT reverse that! lol
 See how crazy I have become. Again, I say welcome and happy building.

P.S.
  I will raise a drink to your lost comrade and to your comrades in arms. This weekend of course, I dont drink during the week!
Your only young once, But you can be immature for ever.
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by harleyman

YUPPIE???????Wink

Yuppie? I don't think I have ever heard that word used to describe me, lol. Lets see if I can help you out a little. I used to be a bully in elementary school, after watching peter pan, I decided to make people call themselves a cod fish. I thought it was funny, and insulting to them at the time. Oh the things kids do.

Nice bike by the way. I have a friend that custom builds his own bikes and I took a picture of me on one that he was working on, it was pretty sweet, even before the paint job and it being finished. I wouldn't mind owning one one day, but with the way people drive these days, im thinking it might be a far bit too dangerous.
Sarah

Groupie
Groupie

Quote BIGdumbANIMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 4:30pm
NM KawasakiMAN! ;P

Dont mind him Sarah, Hes A retiree so he must bored with the soaps on tv and wants to make drama for his own enjoyment.
After all hes a carolina panthers fan

Oh yeah NIce bike

Edited by BIGdumbANIMAL - 17 Jul 2008 at 4:31pm
MCLMM View Drop Down

Quote MCLMM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 4:36pm

Cool..

Now I ride this.....03 wide glide     95 in. Screaming Eagle...

There are pics here somewhere..I'm not on my puter and can't find them...I will though...

And here is my other baby...

That is a sexy girl you got there, I will have to take a pic of mine to post for you soon.
MCLMM View Drop Down

Quote MCLMM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 4:39pm
This going without a gaming rig is still chapping my rear end. I have had to resort to surfing the web on my wife's iMac (wince). It has a DECENT card in it a radeon 2600, just good enough for her to play WOW on. But its a dang mac, I cannot stand them especially iPods, zune ftw. 

I wish steam suported macs, I would give it a try to tide myself over.
Thomas Lindemann View Drop Down

Quote Thomas Lindemann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 5:24am
Im with you mate I keep a couple cans of compressed air and blow my lap top out constantly.  i bought a DSO system and had it mailed to me here in Iraq but i was scared to death of hurting it with the dust I sent it home In February. I ride Harleys also I have a 2004 Buell XB12 (yeah I know most dont consider it a Harley) I also have a 1961 Harley 250 Sprint and  67 250 SS Sprint.  Most people dont even know what they are or that Harley Sold them.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BIGdumbANIMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 9:17am
I bet you would know that, Since you share such similarities, LOL
 Good morning HM. You live in Cali right? Why the hell are you up so early? I live in Massachusetts and well Im JUST GOING TO BED. I work nights!

Edited by BIGdumbANIMAL - 18 Jul 2008 at 9:17am
MCLMM View Drop Down

Quote MCLMM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Thomas Lindemann

Im with you mate I keep a couple cans of compressed air and blow my lap top out constantly.  i bought a DSO system and had it mailed to me here in Iraq but i was scared to death of hurting it with the dust I sent it home In February. I ride Harleys also I have a 2004 Buell XB12 (yeah I know most dont consider it a Harley) I also have a 1961 Harley 250 Sprint and  67 250 SS Sprint.  Most people dont even know what they are or that Harley Sold them.

Holy crap, you had a DSO system mailed to Iraq? Man you trust the military mail system more than I do, I still haven't seen packages I ordered when I was there on my first tour in 2003-2004!
Could you have just installed some fan filters? I know the dust there gets into EVERYTHING but I wonder if there are any cases that have a rubber seal in them to keep stuff like that out as well as reduce noise....

Take care bud!

/salute
MCLMM View Drop Down

Quote MCLMM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 5:34pm

Originally posted by MCLMM

This going without a gaming rig is still chapping my rear end. I have had to resort to surfing the web on my wife's iMac (wince). It has a DECENT card in it a radeon 2600, just good enough for her to play WOW on. But its a dang mac, I cannot stand them especially iPods, zune ftw. 

I wish steam suported macs, I would give it a try to tide myself over.

Hey   Mike....An avatar for you........

Thanks! Mind if I use it? Even though it makes my heart ache b/c it reminds me of DoD: S and I can't plat it now....
 Post Reply Post Reply