FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WORD OF WARNING ABOUT AMD QUAD CORE

Post Date: 2008-02-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sharariebrum View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sharariebrum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: WORD OF WARNING ABOUT AMD QUAD CORE
    Posted: 29 Feb 2008 at 12:34am
I received an email today at work from my systems buddy upstairs and well things are not looking good.

Apparently with the new tri-core AMD chips you can overclock them from the 2.2 to 3.1 easy.  But when you attemp to do this with the quads you get a nice error msg. 

...a simple search, just google "BSOD clock interrupt Phenom", there are no shortage of hits...

Upon researching this problem I found that many Phenom users are having this same problem. Many only when trying to overclock... but also... many when trying to just run their chip at stock speeds. The problem points to one thing... a partially or wholley defective third core. Apparently, many people have had to use AMD Overdrive to purposely *underclock* the 3rd processing core (Core2, no pun intended) by lowering the multiplier specifically for that core, in order for the chip to run stable.
The rest have had to do so in order to get any sort of stable overclock beyond 2.4 ghz. Does this sound familiar?? It should, as it is the frequency above which all Phenoms were yanked by AMD. The truth appears to be coming out... AMD doesn't have Phenoms above 2.4ghz available because one of the cores is flawed and won't allow for a stable chip at or above 2.4ghz. The errata appears to be more spin than anything... let the masses feast on the errata as the underlying issue when the real issue that is the manufacturing process being quite flawed at this point.... tries to fly under the radar. If AMD didn't want this flaw to be exposed, as I'm sure they didn't, they should have never released the 9600BE.
So until any future AMD release with more likely the reason more then not try to go with a 9500 quad for more stable a speed being if you get a crippled core2  0-1-2-3 are the cores core2 is the bad core.  This is what AMD is more then likely doing with the new REWORK of their Chips.

I think I need to go and redo a few things on my build with DS. or just wait for new anouncements from AMD/Intel on future chips roadmaps in the next 2 months

More then likely 9600BE and a few 9600quds that were slated for tri-cores in the last mo-6weeks fell into a few shipments and is causing this issue  so basically if you get one with a bad core2 call AMD tech support I just got off the Phone with one who didnt have to bad an accent hehe.

I like to go to company reps sometimes with big issues I hear about from IT guys LOL!!  But I hope DS does test all 4 cores in light of the issue.  Cause I have always liked AMD and love the competition they force on INTEL....

In lighter news look to CBIT in March the new 9700/9900 and 9550 9550 and lesser known 9150e with the NEW b3 stepping should be shown off.....

Edited by Sharariebrum - 29 Feb 2008 at 12:54am
If you Fail to Plan....Plan to FAIL!!!
The Past is History, The Future is a Mystery, But Today is a GIFT - That is why we call it the Present
Avarice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Avarice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2008 at 2:44pm
I think AMD is pretty much out of the race for the moment.

I was a big AMD fan, but now their prices are no longer that competitive and their product has fallen behind.

It's pretty sad when Intels slowest Quad out-performs AMDs fastest.

Hopefully they will be back on track with their future releases.

Post Reply Post Reply