FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Workstation, or Gaming Rig?

Post Date: 2020-08-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
remyweather View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote remyweather Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Workstation, or Gaming Rig?
    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 2:27pm
Budget:
Unknown, Likely 3-4k

Expectations:
Need a powerful desktop for Gaming (Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 on High Settings, AutoCAD drawings, files, Intense/Big Rhino 3D Files, Environmental Simulations (fluid dynamic modelling, climate modelling), Photoshop/Indesign, Adobe Suite, Architectural Rendering

Usage:
8-12 hours per day, minimum

Special Needs:
Unknown

Saved Ticket #: None

Specifications:
Would like an RTX, I9 or Ryzen, not picky right now.

Basically I want to know if it is better for me to get a workstation, or a gaming computer. I know a gaming rig will work well w/ both, but I know a workstation will work better for the engineering/climate simulation and architecture work. I do more architecture work for sure, but when I use my flight simulator I want to get excellent performance as well.

I do not know well the key differences between "workstation" and "gaming rig" as to me if you buy a good gaming rig your specs are not that far off from a workstation as well.

Would love feedback/advice.
Remy Mermelstein
Cornell ES Lab
AIAS Co President
DeltaVA Pilot
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 12:12am
for ideal experience you're gonna want high end hardware:

minimally, something like the Intel I7-10700K or more budget friendly AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT, both are 8 phys core procs.  perhaps even consider a 10-core like the I9-10900k?  it's got a nice boost clock for gaming and should be a horse for your workstation needs.  if it's a workstation first i'd consider the AMD threadripper line. i believe it still holds the value end over Intel Xeons.

i wouldn't mess around on the graphics front, and just go with a RTX 2080 Super or Ti.  3D modeling, video editing, and any computationally vigorous workload can all benefit from a strong graphics card.  the video memory on these new cards is very large.  i don't think you need Quadro's or RadeonPros these days.  rendering and gaming is largely similar.  

32GB-64GB for a "normal workstation pc" minimum RAM kit.  i don't think you need ECC RAM either unless zero chance of corruption is required for your work.  it's generally more expensive, but that's a judgment call on your part.

i understand it will be streaming from the cloud based servers, so a strong internet connection will be necessary.  can you already stream HD or 4K content? 

the flight sim's recommended system is much less than this.  this is geared more towards their "ideal" recommendations. 

for power users i'd generally recommend building out from a strong workstation pc.  most of the time it's the gpu that determines how good your gaming experience is.  and the monitor of course. 

Edited by db188 - 02 Aug 2020 at 12:24am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 12:36am
Item 1 --- Digital Storm Lynx (Config # 3289364)
$4,076.00
$4,076.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx

Core Components
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (4TB Western Digital / Seagate - Ultrastar Data Center / IronWolf)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Online
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 5:05am
Strong build there. I like the 3900X for your budget. Of course you can change to any case for more $, but that's personal taste.

I highly recommend you consider an M.2 NVMe SSD for your primary drive. Your OS and apps will execute up to 5 times faster on one of those, and that would be an enormous help to everything you do. The DS M.2 part is SATA. The Samsungs are among the best and most reliable NVMes on the market. Choose wisely a size that you can use for the size files you'll work with, and you will get a huge speed boost.

There is a $400 discount at the $4000 level, so there's room in the budget. It's not my area of expertise, but the baseline motherboard may not have all the features you'd like. You might check that out.

Other than that, it's a very strong build for your work and will game like a monster IMHO.

We happen to be very close to the expected September release of the newest line of Nvidia GPUs. Rumors abound, but a persistant one has the "3080" stronger than the 2080Ti at a lower price. Could be worth waiting for. Specs are supposed to be coming this month.

Quote remyweather Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:39am
Thanks everybody for the advice and guidance!

Sounds like I should start with a workstation rig buildout, and maybe change the GPU to a gaming oriented GPU, which I know will also perform well for my CAD software. . I do not think I need the Xeon processors, or the Quadro's.

Definitely do not need ECC, but will go with minimum 32GB RAM. My last desktop build had 2 GTX Titans, 64GB RAM, i7 Extreme, built it in 2014...unfortunately I had to sell it, and going to college it became not worth it for me to have a desktop. But now...given the research I am doing and whatnot, I think I need it again.

For FS, yes, right now I have 1000mbs service, unlimited gbs/month, so that should not be an issue. I get around 200-300mbps on wifi in my house w/ my entire family on their devices, and if I plug into Ethernet I can get 800-1000mbs, which is more than enough.

In all likelihood I won't be buying this rig until December/January, Have to save up a bit more. But I just wanted to get a feel/start planning a bit see what I might be spending, etc.

Right now I have been eyeing the Aventum X, or on the workstation side, the Velox Studio. Obviously both with some changes to the base components.

Definitely would go w/ an M.2 NVMe for my primary drive, and then SSD's for otherwise. I have to do some digging on the storage aspect of MSFS 2020, I know it is streamed, but depending how big it is on the disk, I might put it on a second drive, in which case I would not two M2.NMe's. I have been simming for 15 years, and in all the versions I have had, we have always been advised to install FS on a separate drive, not the C drive for performance reasons. Not sure if that is still the case w. MSFS 2020.

Thanks again guys, I will surely be back with rig options :)
Remy Mermelstein
Cornell ES Lab
AIAS Co President
DeltaVA Pilot
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Strong build there. I like the 3900X for your budget. Of course you can change to any case for more $, but that's personal taste.

I highly recommend you consider an M.2 NVMe SSD for your primary drive. Your OS and apps will execute up to 5 times faster on one of those, and that would be an enormous help to everything you do. The DS M.2 part is SATA. The Samsungs are among the best and most reliable NVMes on the market. Choose wisely a size that you can use for the size files you'll work with, and you will get a huge speed boost.

There is a $400 discount at the $4000 level, so there's room in the budget. It's not my area of expertise, but the baseline motherboard may not have all the features you'd like. You might check that out.

Other than that, it's a very strong build for your work and will game like a monster IMHO.

We happen to be very close to the expected September release of the newest line of Nvidia GPUs. Rumors abound, but a persistant one has the "3080" stronger than the 2080Ti at a lower price. Could be worth waiting for. Specs are supposed to be coming this month.
agree on the ssd upgrade.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 3:26pm
you're talking less than 50GB drive space for the OS+future updates.  i think MSFS has plenty of space on a 1TB NVMe drive.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote remyweather Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 9:13am
Originally posted by db188

you're talking less than 50GB drive space for the OS+future updates.  i think MSFS has plenty of space on a 1TB NVMe drive.

In the past it was not about having not enough space on the HDD, but that the performance was hit somehow by having the C: drive have the OS and MSFS. Maybe this is not the case anymore. I will have to check.
Remy Mermelstein
Cornell ES Lab
AIAS Co President
DeltaVA Pilot
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:50pm
i don't believe you need to worry about the OS read/write accessing hitting your gaming performance on a large and super fast NVMe drive tbh.  however, if you're concerned go ahead and put your games on a drive of their own. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply