FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would love some help with a laptop!

Post Date: 2015-10-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Syndack View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Syndack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Would love some help with a laptop!
    Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 8:22am
Well my current Digital Storm laptop has lasted me about 4 years, but I'm looking for a new one. I ended up spending about $2500 on my current laptop but I'd like to keep the price range around $2000 for this one, hopefully. I do tons of gaming, ranging from MMOs like SWTOR to some more demanding games like the ever anticipated Fallout 4/Witcher 3.

Obviously I'd love to get the best possible graphical experience out of my gaming, but I am trying to keep the costs a little lower this time. I'd greatly appreciate any help you can give me!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 8:47am
Hi Syndack....  I don't do much with laptops, you probably know more than I Hahaha, but it depends what size screen you want.   

My 2 choices would be the 15.6" Triton level 2 or the 17.3"  Harker level 1 and bump up the video card to the 980m.  The Harker with 980m will go over your 2K budget but larger real estate is more $$.

I say the 980m because it probably comes close to a desktops gtx970 and my 970 plays Witcher 3 at max on a 1080p screen, like the Harker or Triton have.    

The Avon 15.6" laptop has a 4K screen and you'll find even the 980m struggling with higher settings in gaming.  4K display needs a lot of horsepower to look nice and smooth.    4K is roughly equivalent to gaming on 4 x 1080p displays.  

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 3:04pm
just something to be wary of: i've heard a lot of complaints about Nvidia's "battery boost technology" seriously throttling their mobile gpu performance in games.  a lot of people with 800 series forward are unhappy with this.  so, on paper the 980m might deliver an estimated 75% of GTX 980 performance, ymmv. 

also, personally, i don't get 4k on a "tiny" lap top screens (or anything under 30" for that matter), but perhaps that's just me. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by db188

just something to be wary of: i've heard a lot of complaints about Nvidia's "battery boost technology" seriously throttling their mobile gpu performance in games.  a lot of people with 800 series forward are unhappy with this.  so, on paper the 980m might deliver an estimated 75% of GTX 980 performance, ymmv.

Gaming on battery isn't feasible for anything that requires the horsepower of a 980.  If you're doing gaming on a laptop, expect to be plugged into AC power, Nvidia Battery Boost or no.

Originally posted by db188

also, personally, i don't get 4k on a "tiny" lap top screens (or anything under 30" for that matter), but perhaps that's just me.

Agreed.  I would recommend the Triton with the 1920x1080 screen if you go 15.6".  Pushing pixels to a 4K laptop screen with a mobile GPU will be iffy, especially with the demands of Fallout 4 and Star Wars: Battlefront and their high recommended specs.

If you want to play games like those on a laptop at graphics of High and up, you will likely need a powerful Harker with the 980M 8GB and will have to spend closer to the $2500 at Harker Level 3.  My laptops over the past decade and a half have all come in around $2500 simply because I need them to be high end so they last for at least 3 years and play the games I want to play.
 Post Reply Post Reply