FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would you suggest buying here or building my own?

Post Date: 2010-02-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MasterAssassin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MasterAssassin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Would you suggest buying here or building my own?
    Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 1:09am
K so my friend said building your own is cheaper. Problem is that the warranty is longer with a DS computer. which would be cheaper if i built it myself with the same exact parts?
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 4:38am
of course it would be cheaper if you built it yourself, if it was the same price DS would make no profit

if you want a professionally built PC with a good warranty that covers any problems, and you have the money, go with DS
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 4:56am
actually IMO if you take into account all the headache you have to go thru and the fact that they are building it, warranty with oc, and tech support and testing, the price difference of $200 to $400 is well worth it.

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Feb 2010 at 4:57am
brewbush View Drop Down

Quote brewbush Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 7:58am
I agree.

You also have to factor in OS price ($100), the time for you to put it together, and the chance that a part will not work.

So you build your own and something doesn't work, are you willing to step by step check memory, connections, bios, overheating, properly set cards.......

Not me, been there done that.  Peace of mind and my time is much more valuable.
MasterAssassin View Drop Down

Quote MasterAssassin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 9:33am
Originally posted by brewbush

I agree.

You also have to factor in OS price ($100), the time for you to put it together, and the chance that a part will not work.

So you build your own and something doesn't work, are you willing to step by step check memory, connections, bios, overheating, properly set cards.......

No if something goes wrong, i will take it to my local PC repair shop and have them repair it.
Herniter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Herniter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by MasterAssassin

Originally posted by brewbush

I agree.

No if something goes wrong, i will take it to my local PC repair shop and have them repair it.

Most repair shops charge 40-60$ per hour, run into to many problems and you're out money and a warranty.  In addition to that if you fry anything trying to OC your self and you've just voided your manufacturers warranty. 
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 7:24pm
they great thing is all you have to do is sit back and relax while waiting for your new rig to come. yes it will cost a little more, but at least it will be built clean, no messy wires, loose connections, improperly set hardware, ect. it will also be tested so if there is a problem it is caught before you get it. no headache of building the thing, and os is a pain in the behind i did that once when i built a computer.

you get warranties that squash the manufacture ones, not to mention that valuable oc warranty. like others have said it voids the intel one... so why would you not spend the money to be covered? a lot can go wrong when you overclock... so why not protect your investment? if you do not plan to overclock then it is a whole different ball game.

like another said $40 - $60 an hour so do some math by the time they are done you probably have spent the money on the difference of a professional rig. so instead of ds quality you get your quality and no warranties minus manufacturer... hmm i would choose ds any day over building it my self
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
firebolt059 View Drop Down

Quote firebolt059 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 11:18pm
Hey DST4ME. People have been telling me to build my own cause they said its cheaper and it is faster. Is it true? what are some good and bad things about building my own?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 12:45am
I think I pointed those out in my last post.

building yourself will be cheaper then here by $200 to $400 depending, but when you factor in the stuff I said about oc/testing/tech supprot/warranty, you will see that the difference is not worth it.

Quote firebolt059 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 9:39pm
What about if i do not plan to overclock anything?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 9:42pm
then it won't be faster. lol

Quote firebolt059 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Raif

if you do not plan to overclock then it is a whole different ball game.

Thats what i meant, what do you mean its a "whole different ball game"? Are you supporting building it or buying it?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 1:35am
if you don't oc you stuck at 3.3GHz at most, as you see on this forum, a 920 wasily oces to 3.6GHz or higher so its gonna be faster.
 Post Reply Post Reply