Post Date: 2021-10-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Would You Upgrade This 12 Year Old PC Or Buy A New
    Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 9:51pm
Digital Storm
Cooler Master HAF 932
Intel Core
i7 920 2.66GHz OCed to 3.6Ghz
Motherboard EVGA x58 3X SLI Intel X58 Chipset
12 GB RAM
Power Supply 1000W Corsair HX
Internal Digital Media Card Reader
OS hard drive 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K rpm
2nd hard drive 500GB Western Digital 7200rpm SATA
two DVD optical drives light scribe edition
video card geforce GTX Titan 6GB original model
Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion with front I/O

I would like to run Windows 11 someday with the upgraded computer.
I know that the hard drive ought to be replaced with a solid state drive but wonder about swapping in a new motherboard and reusing the power supply, old Titan, my nice sound card.

The case is BIG!!!! What do you guys suggest? By the way, I am 69 years old and a retired Boeing Windows Systems Administrator.

In one way I am tempted to just give the old beast to one of my 5 kids and buy a brand spanking new monster but it seems like there might still be some good bones left in the old machine that could be reused and save a lot of money.

I bought my Digital Storm computer back on 30 Jan 2009. How time flies! :-)

UPDATE ON NEW COMPUTER!!
Stage 1 10/11/21 - Backlog Queue:
Stage 2 10/18/21 - Pending Inventory
Stage 3 10/22/21 - Pending Assembly
Stage 4 10/25/21 - Assembly Started
Stage 5 11/8/21 - Stress Testing & Benchmarking
Stage 6 11/10/21 - Quality Assurance
Stage 7 11/15/21 - Packaging

Wow, my new Digital Storm beast arrived EOD Friday 19 Nov!!

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 25 Nov 2021 at 8:08am
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 5:42am
Welcome back! I happen to know you were once a respected regular here. Congrats on one of the longest-lived rigs we've encountered!

Maybe you think this way: which 12 year old part has the most life left in it? I think the answer is pretty obvious. The only way you get a rig anywhere near capable of long life like yours is to start anew, unless you like the idea of failure after failure being your impetus to upgrade. If you want to assemble parts and build into your HAF, go for it, but there is no part aside from the case that can hold a candle to what has been improved upon over twelve years. Everything is newer, more efficient, vastly more capable. I had my first DS rig from that era, purchased in May, 2010. I didn't upgrade anything but storage for almost 8 years, and then it was "just time" for a new rig. I have a 6 core from early 2018, a pretty early model NVMe SSD, and a GTX 1070. Runs perfectly 24/7, and faster than ever. Almost instant everything, but it's waaayyy behind what's available now.

Because I know DS and believe in their quality, I expect this one to run well until it just doesn't in around 3 more years. Then I suspect I may buy new, just to be sure I don't mix parts near failure.

You really don't have to buy a monster anymore to get a great system IMHO. The CPUs are overpowered for gaming, so no worries. AMD has been reclaiming ground for several years, and they beat Intel to the punch by a lot with Zen 3 5000 series procs.

The GPUs are in such short supply you can pay up to triple MSRP for one, so I always advise only what you must have to meet your expectations, because the next gen will always be better, and hopefully much cheaper. 3060 TI for 1080p, 3070 for 1440p, and 3080 for 4K. It's not the time to "future proof" by spending more. It's likely to be much cheaper just to upgrade when you think it's time.

So, that's my take. Just FYI, I'm a 72-year-old with PC gaming experience that goes back 36 years, if that matters.   
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 9:13am
Crete,

What you suggested makes a lot of sense. I am looking at something that I can just get without the long wait. Their best preconfigured Lynx Ultimate has this set up. Do you think it would be about as good a performer as what I had?

Intel Core i7-10700F
NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB
16GB DDR4 Memory
1TB Solid State Drive
2TB 7200RPM Storage
Liquid CPU Cooler
Windows 10

As I mentioned I am 69 and my wife is 74 so you and I both grew up in the same era. :-)

I respect your input so all I am trying to do is not go to far backward from where I am at now. The configuration that I am asking your advice on seems pretty decent and it affordable without having that long wait.

What do you think?
Ken   
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 7:45pm
Nice job on the longevity!

I can't quite relate on personal age, but those specs...

A Raptor drive and LightScribe -- part of what dreams were made of back then.

Originally posted by Onkel_Ken

Do you think it would be about as good a performer as what I had?

CPUs and GPUs have certainly improved over the years. Although, CPUs not nearly as much as GPUs.

Intel Core i7-920 vs. Intel Core i7-10700F | UserBenchmarks

Nvidia GTX Titan vs. Nvidia RTX 3080 | UserBenchmarks

For CPUs, instructions per cycle/clock has increased a little. However, a lot of the boost is actually from integrated memory controllers (versus on the chipset), faster memory support, and extra PCIe lane support that allows one NVMe drive to communicate directly with the CPU (again, rather than going through the chipset).

For GPUs, core and RAM clock speed increases, of course. Although, a lot of performance uplift has come from adding cores to perform specific tasks (e.g., ray tracing).
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 7:59pm
My computer roots go back to the Apple ][e, though I didn't start tinkering until the Macintosh LC series. Our household also had the original iMac (Bondi Blue) -- the thrust into mainstream USB. My foray into PC assembly didn't start until 2003, Athlon XP and Athlon 64 systems with ATI graphics cards.

Edited by MrCheetah - 08 Oct 2021 at 8:00pm
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 8:58pm
MrCheetah,

Thank you for the links on the CPU & GPU Specs! Amazing how performance specs have improved over the years.

Your input was much appreciated! :-)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 5:04am
Yours is not a bad strategy. You certainly get a magnificent GPU at a discount from current prices. Two caveats. First, the very decent gaming CPU is the older 10th Gen Intel which limits you to the older PCIe platform, Generation 3. Gen 4 has been out around 2 years, but Intel CPUs just recently enabled it through their 11th Generation of processors. PCIe 4 is double the speed of PCIe 3, and I fear such a performance limit may hurt you in the years to come as you seek longevity. An upgrade later would mean a CPU/motherboard change.

The other issue is much less impactful. The primary storage is a SATA SSD which is just about 9 times slower than an NVMe SSD easily available in the custom builds. A SATA SSD is faster than what you're used to, but we are talking "pretty fast" compared to "almost instant". You could easily obtain an NVMe Gen 3 drive and install it yourself for your primary drive. It's a pretty easy upgrade. They have ones in a form factor about the size of a small pocket comb (M.2) that installs in a slot right on the motherboard without any cabling.

I will say that currently, the PCIe 3 gimp is not that much of an issue, because there are ton of PCIe 3 systems still around. From where you're coming, it won't seem like much of a hindrance. The fastest storage available now is Gen 4, and the future of GPUs will rely more and more on the faster bus for optimal performance to where they are seriously gimped on PCIe 3. That is not the case with an RTX 3080, and that's a magnificent card to take many years down the road.

So that's the story. Just know what you're getting and it's limits. The Lynx will run rings around your system out of the box, and the 3080 will KILL anything at 1440p and run 4K monitors at very high speeds as well. If the SATA drive ends up as your main game storage, it will do very nicely.

Hope it helps!   
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Onkel_Ken

Amazing how performance specs have improved over the years.

If you want a little more...

I miss when this cool stuff existed... | JayzTwoCents (YouTube)

A recently posted nostalgic look comparing an ATI Radeon HD 5970 (circa 2009) against the current gen. AMD cards, specifically a Radeon RX 6800.

Not the perfect comparison. Although, even an RX 6600 XT is ~4x to 5x faster.

Edited by MrCheetah - 09 Oct 2021 at 10:54am
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 3:20pm
Cretae,

It will take me a while to unpack & assess the new info you provided me. I don't figure on be around forever but like you say it would be nice to stay fairly current along the way. :-)

I looked at the ultimate Lynx configuration because it was a ship & get. I remember I had some delays when I got my old Digital Storm beast. I am not sure now with all the covid & shipping delays how long it would take to get a decent system configured.

By the way, my 12 year old Digital Storm black T-Shirt still looks sharp & I wear it often even now after all these years. Quality build! :-)

Based upon your note Cretae, what would be your recommended minimal customized build to take me the next few years. You saw what I was looking at but after reading your note I realize how powerful & important the Digital Storm Forum is in helping people make the right decision for their situation.

I would like to stay under $4,000 delivered if I can since I don't want to go too crazy or my kids will think I am getting senile. :-)

I appreciate your guidance and support! :-)

Ken
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 1:54am
It appears it might take up to two months to get a custom build. From November to June, it could take as much as 4 months, depending on how bad the supply for the parts one ordered. Things showed solid improvement for the next few months, and DS was getting custom builds out often within3-6 weeks. Just recently, things seem to have slowed a bit. There appears to be some significant hassle with shipment through Fedex when builds are ready to go. Check with DS for the latest. Feel free to e-mail [email protected] for the latest. I'm sure he knows who you are and would be happy to help.

We can get you a pretty great design well under $4000 if I have guessed correctly your specific needs. I'm assuming you don't have a top-end video need, and that gaming is your primary use. I'm not going to suggest a productivity-heavy CPU, but if you need it to, the proc I think you should have will outperform an equivalent Intel chip.

Here you go:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4123584

I don't usually choose the Velox case. Most folks asking for advice also want a rig they can show off, and the Lumos with a bit of RGB added fits that bill well. The Velox window is on the right as one views from the front. The motherboard, then, to display the parts, is upside down. The video card (and logo) is upside down, but the fans are also allowing the heat to escape upwards.

I like the AMD 5800X for this build because it is nearly as fast as the top Intel 11900K for gaming, but much better at multi-core performance. Gaming is still highly single-core dependent, but to the extent you want to do other things, AMD is superior. I also like the range of motherboards that an AMD CPU allows here. I like to step up from the stock mobos when the budget allows, as we get better heat management and might well have a longer-lasting part that way. I like the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon with WI-Fi built in.

I'm recommending 32GB of RAM so you'll be set for a very long time. It's overkill for gaming at the moment, but it's a nice-to-have for the future.

The 850W PSU will be plenty.

The Samsung 980 PRO NVMe SSD is one of the fastest consumer drives around, and I like a compact size for the "C" drive for easy, fast back-ups and fast scanning.

I chose another NVMe M.2 form factor SSD for drive 2. This one is for your favorite games library. It's a PCIe Gen 3 to save a few bucks. It's a might slower than the Gen 4 980, but really fast for loading games. You might opt for the 2GB 970 EVO if you don't do storage upgrades, but stay away from the 860 PRO SATA drives. They are not a good value here IMHO.

I chose the Nvidia RTX 3070 if you game at 1440p monitor resolution at higher framerates. If you are still happy with 1080p, the right card is the 3060 Ti. At only $60 more than the 3060, it allows an upgrade to a high framerate 1080p monitor if you don't have one, and will perform well at that res for years to come. The 3080 that comes with the Lynx Ultimate is really for gaming at 4K.

The dual fan all-in-one sealed liquid cooler is maintenance free and does a very good job. They don't last forever, but we never hear of them leaking, and there just aren't a lot of posts about them.

No overclocking needed these days. No "OS boost".

The RGB fans aren't much better than the standard fans, just brighter.

Come back with questions or more specific needs and we'll do our best to help you decide.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 11:03am
Cretae,

Thank you for your efforts in laying out a practical configuration. I am going to review it in detail over the next few days and get back to you with questions if I have any.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:33pm
Crete,

I took your advice and ordered pretty much the configuration you recommended but upgraded the the CPU to a 5900 and added extra high end audio since I love to use my Sennheisers to listen to surround sound. Ran pretty close to $5,000 but what the heck? Added a solid 3 year parts warranty just in case!

Updated to show 3070 to 3080 Upgrade I made later to the order

Order Contents:
- Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 4126186 (Config # 4126186) -
- -- NVIDIA - Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy (Digital Code) (Config # 4126186) - Quantity: 1 -

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12-Core) 4.8 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: Firmware TPM Activation - Windows 11 Upgrade Ready - (BIOS)
Optical Drive: External USB - Blu-Ray Writer & Player (Blu-Ray 6x) & DVD/CD Writer
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Hi-Res) (Ultimate Audio Playback)
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Software Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Digital Storm MasterKeys Lite Bundle (RGB) Keyboard & Mouse
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 14-21 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty (5 Year Labor & 3 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 25 Oct 2021 at 12:34pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 12:58pm
You're good to go! I'm okay with you wanting the 5900x for a little more peace of mind. They are rated pretty much the same for gaming, and that's literally all I do with my DS. Gaming barely gets past the single core, so 12 is for other kinds of tasks I just don't do.

I'm honored to have been a help. Before I came back to the Forum full time, I used to see your handle featured prominently with DST4ME and bprat22 and some others who are still around, so...respect!

I hope you enjoy this new rig even more than the old one. The speed will certainly impress, if not astound!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 1:46pm
Cretae,

I just couldn't help myself regarding the 5900X :-)

I have been an Extra Class Amateur Radio operator WD9GNG for over 40 years and have all kinds of radio software running on this computer. I do a lot on digital Amateur Radio including Slow Scan TV as well as many digital formats. I also use the computer as the main server for them so I can use my multiple radios from any location in the world with a laptop or even just my phone.

I haven't been active on the Forum for several years. Before I retired 7 years ago I maintained Boeing network infrastructure worldwide. I started back in 79 as a Computer Room technician then joined the Network Design staff doing statistical analysis on the mainframes & network links for McDonnell Douglas. Later joined IBM then Boeing maintaining local & remote network infrastructure then transitioned to a Systems Administrator role.

I also like to do fractal generation and other scientific stuff that catch my interest. Mostly I just like having a nice computer to game on and simply play while exploring different things that can be done with them.

I will have to look out for DST4ME & bprat22 now that I have showed up here again.

Digital Storm verified they have my money and my "Order Is In Progress". Stage 1: Backlog Queue but I know it is coming some day.     

Thank you again for all your help in configurating a nice system to have and cherish and maybe have a little fun with!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 2:17pm
With those extended uses, I have to say, "Well played". I'm happy knowing you will get full use of that excellent proc.

An impressive resume, my friend. I have the impression Boeing may well have been a great experience.

Sadly, DST4ME and bprat22 have been away for a very long time. I had hoped to hang out with them when I came back in 2017, for they both had a deep and rich knowledge base. We struggle to fill their shoes as best as we're able, but about all I have going for me is a very long history of over 36 years a PC gamer... and an active Google finger! I always try to impress upon the younger folk just how amazing is the speed and power they have at their fingertips. Welcome to their world! Please come back and let us know what you thinK of a completely modern DS computer.

As DST always said, "It's a pleasure to help".

Edited by Cretae - 12 Oct 2021 at 2:23pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:07pm
Cretae,

I actually worked out of the same computer facility in St. Louis for most of my time. It started out as Mc Donnell Douglas and turned into a Boeing facility. I had the same phone number there as I transitioned from McDonnell Douglas, Advantis, ISSC, IBM, Boeing, & CSC. Those folks like to outsource but keep the same people. :-)

One of my bigger projects was shutting down the McDonnell Douglas Computer Center in Mississauga Canada and rerouting all processing to St. Louis via Token Ring. Had to swap out all the Bisync Local SNA controllers on site with Token Ring then shut down the facility after verifying stuff worked into St. Louis for their aircraft factory in Canada. Took about 3 months but finally got it done.

Installed a lot of Computer Aid Design systems around the country for architects like I.M.Pei in NYC that designed the glass pyramid at the Louvre on Paris. Used both DEC & PRIME computers with CalComp plotters and Tektronix WS's.

Did a lot of project work years ago.

Sad to hear that DST4ME & bprat22 haven't been back in a while. But to be honest it has been a while since I have logged on here too. But Cretae, I knew there were no better people to trust with my money than Digital Storm and that people like you in the Forum always have people's back to be sure they get a good system they can be proud of.

You know with a $5K beast headed my way, I will be hanging around here for a while! :-)

Take care my friend and thanks once again for saving me hundreds of frustrating hours deciding on what to get. You know I have done nothing but watch all the cool Digital Storm videos and go check out CPU/GPU benchmark videos since I pulled the trigger.

I think you have me well set for my immediate needs and future entertainment and simple fun!!!!!       
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:02am
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:29am
Cretae,

Just finished swapping out the fan in the V8 cooler a few minutes ago. I luckily bought 3 of them when one went out several years ago. It was harder this time to change with older eyes and even harder to get up off the floor from the weird position I was in to do the surgery. It just stopped all of a sudden and gave up the ghost.

This must be a sign from heaven that I ordered the new machine just in the nick of time. :-)

Now I am really looking forward to the new machine showing up. I am glad I didn't upgrade and be fighting stuff dying like this when you least expect it. Lucky I had the spare fan and remembered how to change it. It is sure tight in there and easy to drop the mini-screws that were hard to find.

Definitely excited and thankful I pulled the trigger on the new machine when I did.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:50am
Yeah, I can't imagine there's a whole lot of life remaining in the other parts. 12 years is truly remarkable, though the only thing that went down on my 2010 i7 930 OC'd to 3.81 was the 200MM fan on the left side of the case after 7.5 years. I just struggled to play Fallout 4 on medium settings, and knew it was time to upgrade if I was to be successful playing anything newer than that. At that time just swapping parts was pretty futile just as I thought it would be for you. A late 2017 GPU wouldn't work on my motherboard, for example.

Here's a fun fact: I don't recall what my Tandy 1000 cost in 1986, but my next rig was a Compuserve model that cost $2300 in 1992. Every rig I have purchased since then has cost within $100 either way of that figure, and lasted for a minimum of 5 years. The one I'm gaming on now from DS cost $2250. If I could get a 3060 Ti for it's MSRP, the rig I would probably buy today would still cost around that number! That amazes me. From snail's pace, 3 minute boot times and hourglass/wristwatch icons onscreen telling you the CPU was working it's heart out to 20 second boots and instant everything with cinematic video, and it still costs the same! Not cutting edge, but very good for gaming. Blows me away.

You have a cutting edge machine, and it will amaze for certain!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:00pm
Cretae,

I had an article published by Kilobaud back in 1978 called "Ready On The Firing Line --- Artillery Practice for the SR-56". I had only 100 steps available on the little TI Programmable. It took longer to get from 101 steps to 100 than from 200 to 101.

It was a simulation of an Artillery Practice Range. I also sold one to them on Amortization of Sinking Funds at the same time.

My first real computer was an Atari 400 with a membrane keyboard and tape drive. I remember upgrading from 512KB to 640KB and using the extra 128KB as a Virtual Drive to hold the OS so I wasn't flipping floppies in drives to do anything.

I never liked Reverse Polish Notation on HPs programables. I preferred the AOS Algebraic Operating System on the TIs instead. Had to use both at work to do Erlang communication statistical measurements.

I still miss the old days breadboarding diodes on a perfboard to program FCC IDs to be auto read for local first responders. I was an EMT myself doing technical rope cave rescue back in the day before I got old. Used to restore damaged caves and lead wild cave tours in Missouri & Illinois. Sure wish I was younger to do stuff like that again!

JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 10:43pm
We should all change our profiles to show our original hardware. :)

TRS-80 Model 1, Zilog Z80 1.77 Mhz CPU, 4K RAM, Cassette Drive, TRSDOS, 1-bit 128x48 Display, No GPU
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 11:01pm
JamesAstro,

I remember learning Basic with the old Atari 400. That was before I had to learn Cobol & Fortran etc.

I still enjoyed the old games on the Atari sitting on the floor in front of the TV. Now I can't get up from the floor without crawling to the couch first to get up.

Space Invaders and Frogger are still two of the best that I remember.

I wanted to buy an Altair computer back in the 70's I loved all the blinking lights and all the switches on the front.

I still correspond with my friend that was the President of Heath-Kit Computer division back in the day. We are both Extra class Amateur radio operators and I bought a couple magnetic loop antennas from him after he retired and started selling specialized ham radio antennas.

His call is W6LVP & I am WD9GNG and we communicate via slow scan digital over our radios or other digital formats. He is an interesting guy and was also a pilot like me except he was rotary & fixed wing qualified and I was just fixed wing qualified as a pilot.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 2:05am

Awesome

Nice!
Some of us here can sympathize with the new procedure to get off the floor. :)
Enjoy the new machine.
Smile

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 11:35am
Just reached Stage 3 this morning.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 3:50am
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 3:06pm
I was pleased with Stage 3!

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 6:56am
It's hard to imagine what games you are able to run on tech that old. My first rig from 2010 faltered on Fallout 4. I could play it, but it would crash occasionally, and it was clear I wouldn't be getting good results with many newer games. There wasn't a lot of point in upgrading around such an obsolete motherboard at that point.

You are going to be astounded (yes that's the word!) at how your new build performs. What so many don't realize about the march of technology, especially in video, it not only becomes faster and stronger, it adds a multitude of features that were stumbling blocks to the QUALITY of the output. One who overspends to "future proof" their experience cuts himself off from these technical enhancements that come out every couple of years or sooner. As an example, the latest thing in video is the visual quality of Ray Tracing. Someone who overspent for a 1080 Ti just 3.5 years ago (the tippy-top card for over a thousand bucks) not only has a GPU that is barely faster than a 3060 Ti today, but no hint of ray tracing or any of the other advancements in video tech which have been been invented since. (DirectX 12 Ultimate, variable-rate shading, mesh shaders, and the really cool DLSS, to name a few.) DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) allows the 3000 series card to clean up or sharpen images at lower resolutions and upscale the image to look as good as native 4K in many instances! On a lower res monitor! Using artificial intelligence!

That's why buying to fit your immediate need with an eye out to upgrade when tech advances make it an exciting new enhancement is the smart way to go IMHO.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 9:01am
Cretae,

Just reached Stage 4 !

I don't play many games but I was playing Call of Duty WW2 last night and had fun. I also used to play Call of Duty Black Op II, Metro Last Light & Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

I know I am getting Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy with the computer and I will most likely buy Battlefield 5 or Microsoft Flight Simulator. I got my Private Pilot license on my 17th birthday 52 years ago but haven't flown in years and thought the Flight Simulator might be fun to play with. Lots of games and simulators out there.

I have several more older games and have usually bought Call Of Duty & Battlefield games in the past. Years ago my son used to come over with his computer and we would play Battlefield Vietnam on both PCs and try to get in the same jeep and fight as a mini squad together.

I have been lucky in that I haven't had any problems with the 12 year old DS system.

I will have to look at the new games and see which ones take advantage of all the cool bells & whistles of the new system.

I did break down and spend the extra bucks and upgrade to a RTX 3080 despite the cost in case I decide to upgrade to a 4K monitor one of these days. I know it is overkill now but I couldn't help myself. The RTX 3080 ought to be playable for several years before the games outpace even it.

Thanks again for all your help. I have been spending quite a bit of time in the Forum trying to catch up on technology as well as reading reviews and manuals.

I am really impressed with the capabilities of the MSI MPG x570 MB and all the cool stuff it allows you to do and the extra quality it has in its construction and ease of use.

I am definitely looking forward to the new system arriving! Might even get one of those cool car race simulators. All kinds of possibilities.

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 25 Oct 2021 at 9:07am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 6:10pm
The 3080 will probably help you with MS Flight Sim. It's very rough on GPUs as it's photorealistic video of all the scenery/terrain all over the world at flight speeds. It's the one graphics intense simulation that actually calls for more GPU than your monitor needs.

4K is way overrated at normal display sizes IMHO. 1440p is just as good, and doesn't cost nearly as much in either monitor costs or GPUs to power them. It's still tough to get really high framerates on a 4k monitor, while it's much easier at 2K. A lot of testing has shown most people prefer a higher framerate over a higher resolution. Just sayin'.

I have crappy eyesight and game at 1080p, because it just doesn't matter to me. I have a GTX 1070 which is actually more than enough for 1080p. When I bought the rig, it was the lowest I could go at the time.

I've played a LOT of COD and battlefield as well. I think I need to play Battlefield 1 before I move on to B5 though. I just recently got around to Metro 2033 Redux, and may do Last Light next. If you have any interest in role playing, I suggest you give The Witcher series a try. They are consistently rated among the best games of all time, and are in the bargain bin for a very small investment. The Fallout games are also really good. Of course, those are all oldies that won't come close to taxing your system, but they are superb adventures.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 6:30pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 3:57am
It's worth the call to find out if you can switch to an Alder Lake CPU. I had no idea they would be available this soon. It's not a tragedy if you can't, that's still a great build. If you could, it'd be worth some extra wait.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 5:11pm
Cretae,

Thanks for the heads up. But I think I will stay with the excellent build that you recommended especially since my system is in Stage 4 being built as I type. Every time we turn around somebody is making a faster & cheaper something and it is like chasing a Dragon to get the latest & greatest at any given point in time.

I have spent unknown hours studying all the cool stuff my new system will do and I am especially impressed with the upgraded MB the MSI MPG Pro you suggested. It has a lot of cool features.

I figure the 5900X & RTX 3280 ought to be an excellent system that has most of the bugs worked out already. I am really looking forward to it arriving.

I haven't been on for a few days. I had my 3rd Glaucoma surgery last week and just now able to really see anything. I have it in both eyes and expect surgeries every so often to keep seeing. Kind of a drag but there are worse issues old people have.    

Thank you once again in your assistance in configuring a solid system for Digital Storm to build for me. I am pretty sure I will happy especially compared to this old 12 year old DS. I still like this old one and don't plan to retire it. I think I will let it do my ham radio stuff that I use to control my radios and other mundane things.

I am going to try to keep the new one nice & sleek for a while as far as stuff on it. I say that but we all know how things bloat over time.

Thanks again for all your support & advice!

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 3:25am
That's a good call. Stay with the tried and true.

I'm sorry for your issues with glaucoma. There's not much scarier than having your eyesight messed with.

I'm pleased for your enthusiasm for your new build. it will certainly be a game-changer for your whole experience!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 11:40am
Cretae,

I definitely looking forward to it's eventual arrival. There is so much to read up on that I am keeping busy just getting up to speed with all the new features and capabilities.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 5:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>