FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

x17e vs Alienware 18x

Post Date: 2012-12-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DrackoreUSAF View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DrackoreUSAF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: x17e vs Alienware 18x
    Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 6:05am
How much heat and will this thing keep up for the next 3-4 years?

Budget:
No more than $4k with shipping

Expectations:
To light up today's games and at least 3 yrs into the future

Usage:
80% gaming and web surfing, 10% streaming to my HDTV, and 10% Microsoft Office

Special Needs:
You calling me retarded?

Saved Ticket #: 769358

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm x17E Laptop (Model: 9370)
Display: 17.3 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Matte Surface) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 3840QM (2.8 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.8Ghz) (Quad Core) (8MB Cache) <b></b>
Thermal Compound: Premium IC Diamond CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise) <b></b>
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB Sticks) <b></b>
Primary Hard Drive: Intel 120GB SSD (520 Series) (SATA 6Gb/s)
Secondary Hard Drive: 750GB Hybrid 7200RPM with 8GB SSD (SATA 3Gb/s) <b></b>
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player (Blu-Ray 6x) & DVD/CD Writer <b></b>
Wireless Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1202 (Reduces Latency for Online Gaming) <b></b>
Video Card(s): 2x SLI (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M 4GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
Air Force Comm
We Enable Power Point
DomTheBomb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DomTheBomb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 9:56am
Welcome to the forums!

The laptop you have configured looks good!

Although any gaming laptop is going to give off heat, the Digital Storm x17, and very likely the x17E, push that heat out very effectively. My laptop has never overheated, even when I've been folding for 24hrs+. I imagine that the x17E has even superior cooling.

I can't imagine SLI 680Ms not lasting you 3-4 years, my single 680m tears apart pretty much all of today's games, and I expect it to provide great gaming for 2-3 years.

Another part of a laptop lasting that long is warranty. I have heard countless horror stories about Alienware laptops failing and receiving no help from Dell. Digital Storm's tech support is really incredible, and even when the direct inventory replacement part of the warranty expires they will still help you get replacement parts from the manufacturer if anything goes wrong.

If you have any questions about Digital Storm or a Digital Storm laptop I'd be happy to answer them!

Edit: Removed section about outside reviews.

Edited by DomTheBomb - 30 Dec 2012 at 10:51pm
DS x17, 1 Year 5 Months
i7 3720QM (2.6GHz/3.6GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB
240GB Intel 520 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 10:45pm
I have personally owned a mx17r3 and a M18x from AW.

Stay away. Please. Your blood pressure and pocketbook will thank you.

Dell vs. Digital Storm in relation to BBB (Better Business Bureau):

Dell complaints in the last 12 months: 1909
Digital Storm complains in the last 12 months: 11

When you break down these numbers to percentage you will find that DS not only has less numbers due to less volume but also less numbers due to less complaints.

Your money is much safer with DS and the product will perform as good, if not better.

NOTE: I ask DS to not edit company names in this post as this information is public record and not edited in any way.

Sources:

http://www.bbb.org/central-texas/business-reviews/computers-dealers/dell-in-round-rock-tx-41453/complaints

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/computers-wholesale-and-manufacturers/digital-storm-in-fremont-ca-301630/complaints

Edited by xii - 30 Dec 2012 at 10:48pm

Quote DrackoreUSAF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 2:07am
Thanks all. This so far seems pretty promising. I never had any problems with Dell. I've had my XPS M1730 for almost six years now, and it broke twice. Both times Dell sent me the parts super fast and I was able to get it fixed with no problems. It runs great now, but I am noticing that more and more games today are just too much for it. Apparently dual core is on the outs. :(

Anyways, two more questions:

1) Win 7 Pro or Win 8? I read that Win 8 Home can handle 32 GB of RAM. As you notice in my config, I am going with 16 GB but only two sticks. I am leaving that upgrade for a future purchase. How is Win 8 working these days, especially in the driver market? I am very happy with Win 7, but it's extra for Pro (Win 7 Home is limited to 16 GB).

2) I read everywhere that the 680M owns the 7970M. How much so? Are there noticeable differences? I could save over $500 by downgrading the 680s to the 7970s. However I wonder if it will bite me later. The goal here is to create a system that won't bite me in the butt. :)

Edited by DrackoreUSAF - 31 Dec 2012 at 3:21am
Air Force Comm
We Enable Power Point
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DomTheBomb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 12:05pm
1) I use Windows 8 Pro and I absolutely love it. Windows 8 Home can actually handle 128GB of RAM, while Pro can handle 512GB. So you'll be fine there.

All the drivers for the Digital Storm laptops have been updated to their windows 8 versions. Digital Storm will also send you a disk with all the drivers on it.

As far as general usage I find Windows 8 to look and feel a lot quicker. It feels modern. Boot times are better, I love the metro interface, and I actually like the new layout without the start button.

2) I have had both the 680M and 7970M in my laptop, and I haven't been able to tell a difference in them. My 7970m died after about 3 months and DS allowed me to upgrade to the 680M since the 7970m was on backorder. The only difference I can tell is that the drivers for the nVidia card are much better.

I'd still recommend the 7970m since it's much cheaper, and AMD is improving their drivers. You may want to do some research online to see what other people are saying now.

Once again, any other questions I'l be happy to answer.
DS x17, 1 Year 5 Months
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB
240GB Intel 520 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro

Quote DrackoreUSAF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 12:42pm
Hey I appreciate all your patience and taking the time to help me pull the trigger on this. I have been researching online, but all I find is a lot of noncommittal as far as which GPU is better.
Air Force Comm
We Enable Power Point
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DomTheBomb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 2:05pm
Which is basically what I've been saying as well.

If it's in your budget I'd say go with the 680Ms, the driver support for nVidia is just so much better.
However it's not my money, so it really comes down to whether better driver support and a little bit better performance is worth all the extra money.
DS x17, 1 Year 5 Months
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB
240GB Intel 520 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 4:32pm
It was said above and it is the reason why I say this: Go with Nvidia the drivers can really become a headache with ATI especially with Laptops.
Timmyny View Drop Down

Quote Timmyny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 3:21pm
Hi Dom TheBomb

I have a question for you, since your an owner of a x17

Have you ever gamed on the laptop using a ext monitor ?  I was thinking of getting a SLI 680 x17, but would be using most a ext monitor.  Do you think there would any performance issues ?

thx for reply
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DomTheBomb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 3:28pm
Timmyny,

I tried gaming using an external 24' 1920x1080 monitor once. Since the resolution was the same as my laptop I had no problems gaming on it performance wise, but I didn't like gaming on it because I am so comfortable with the x17's keyboard and monitor.

SLI 680Ms should be able to handle a single 2560x1600 monitor easily. Two of those and you will probably have to turn some settings down. Single or dual 1080p monitors should also be fine.

What resolution monitor(s) would you be using?
DS x17, 1 Year 5 Months
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB
240GB Intel 520 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Timmyny View Drop Down

Quote Timmyny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 4:08pm
Thanks for the quick reply...

Just a Dell 24' 1920x1080

I have been debating on get a new desktop or laptop... I do a lot of moving around so a laptop would be better suited for my needs.

And I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer, mostly play WoW and I picked up some cheap Steam games.. Walking Dead and Batman

I figured getting SLI should last me for about 2-3 years before upgrading again

Again thx for your time and reply !!

Quote DrackoreUSAF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 10:03pm
Just so you all know I pulled the trigger and placed the order for the above system (upgrading it to 24 GB RAM). It's in Stage 5 now. Anticipation grows.

I also posted and slammed the fat boys Attack of the Show review. He attacked the style of the system over the performance. They acknowledge that the system performance was awesome, then downgrade their ratings because of how it looks. He also attacked the power brick as if this is something new to gaming laptops. I thought those guys were supposed to be somewhat knowledgeable about tech.

I am not saying that I am automatically in love with DS before I even get my hands on one, but I compare that review to saying that the Super Bowl winning team is horrible because of the color or pattern on their uniforms and that their head coach is overweight.
Air Force Comm
We Enable Power Point
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 11:50pm
Thanks for the update, I dont know anything about the show. I guess you could base a computer off looks.. but if you did that then the 4-5 AW systems I've had wouldn't have been the worst machines Ive ever owned.

Quote DrackoreUSAF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 7:55am
Ok well I am pretty frustrated. I dealt with several CS and/or Sales reps that gave me bad info and all but the one I had to call on the phone seemed impatient and short with me. I dealt with it and understood. The build process seemed to go fast and it shipped to me really fast. The outer and inner boxes were unharmed in shipping. I opened the inner box to grab the laptop and I felt something click, like the cover was loose and I pushed it into place. No biggie. I plugged in the battery, checked that the brick was dual voltage (it was) and plugged it into the wall. Brick gave me a green light, the battery and AC lights were yellow. I raised the lid...hit the power button, and...nothing. Held down the power button and...nothing.

I spent $4k of my military pay for this? Now I am sure with a warranty and all that I will *EVENTUALLY* have a working product...but come on.
Air Force Comm
We Enable Power Point
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 8:47am
Sorry to hear.   I'd give DS a call and hopefully it's a simple fix.

A quick, long shot check is to pull the battery, unplug the laptop from the wall and hold the power button in for 2-3 minutes to discharge it.    Leave the battery out and plug into the wall ac outlet, with battery out, and try again.

Good Luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Jan 2013 at 8:48am

Quote DrackoreUSAF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 8:55am
Thanks for the tip, but sadly it didn't work. The battery fully charged (per the front panel) and I tried just battery and that didn't work either.
Air Force Comm
We Enable Power Point
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 9:04am
The only other thing I have is to rotate your finger all around while holding the power button in in case of mis-aligned or flaky switch. 
Can you pop the bezel aroung the switch to look at the guts to check for anything out of place, not plugged in from shipping shock, etc. 

All long shots but gotta try something.  Cry

Quote DrackoreUSAF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 9:06am
I tried the power switch from different angles and pressures. As far as popping the case - that's out of my expertise...plus I don't want to jack up any warranty issues.
Air Force Comm
We Enable Power Point
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 9:09am
Gotch ya.  Give DS a call.  I wish I had more.  I'd suggest rapping the case top and bottom with your knuckle but not sure how that would go over.   I would, and I've fixed alot of weird problems doing it but......

Best of luck.

Quote DrackoreUSAF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 11:14am
I figured out what it is. The plug that connects TO the laptop in the back isn't fitting properly. If I try to cram it in and hold it steady, it powers up. If I let go or if it moves...off it goes.
Air Force Comm
We Enable Power Point
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 11:32am
Thanks for the feedback.   I guess that means the battery has little or no charge.   Should work off the battery.

If its only the plug then DS can ship you a new one. 

Quote DrackoreUSAF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 11:52am
That's the funny part. Front panel is green for battery and the Win8 desktop icon shows it's 100%...but if the cord moves or loosens up even just a little - it shuts off. The battery doesn't keep it on at all.
Air Force Comm
We Enable Power Point
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 12:07pm
Sounds like the laptop is messing with ya. Hahaha

The power cord....  are the recessed male pins in the back of the unit loose at all.  In other words, is it the cord itself or the recessed plug in the back that's the problem.  If the pins on the laptop are loose, then it could be shorting.

Just me thinking out loud.  Big%20Smile  

Quote DrackoreUSAF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 12:11pm
They seem to be sturdy, but again I don't want to poke and prod too much and break it...then I screw with warranty. Still, it seems the battery is getting charged, but the battery isn't powering the system when AC gets disconnected.
Air Force Comm
We Enable Power Point
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 12:24pm
If you're sure the battery is charging or leave it charging for awhile with plug being held in or taped, and it still doesn't work on battery, I would think the battery is fried. 
All guess work, of course. 

I would, with it on AC, go into Control Panel,  Power management or whatever its called , and make sure the battery is enabled or power settings aren't keeping you on AC.  I wouldn't think the battery can be switched off but who knows?  Worth a shot. 

Hate to go thru all this and a simple fix or tweek or hot key was all it was.   Actually, if that's all it is then Good. 

I'm not up on laptops and keep hoping one of the forum's laptop gurus wiil stop in. 

Edit.  I gotta take off for awhile.  Good Luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Jan 2013 at 12:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply