XFX will not be building Fermi's

Post Date: 2010-04-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: XFX will not be building Fermi's
    Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 12:54am
Is this because they think they are crap (warranty issues) or because the cards
do not need or cannot be O/C?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 1:08am

I believe it may be because XFX started selling ATI products. Since NVIDIA doesn't have enough supply anyways, they are giving the cards to their most loyal suppliers first.

(That's my personal opinion, not Digital Storm's).
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 1:20am
I think its because when they did sell nvidia, lot of people stayed away from them because of the bad rep tha xfx has, and also last year nvidia picked a few of their partners that they would take care of first, like evga, but xfx was not a part of that list, and if you ask me, thankfully so.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 2:07am
I think because DS deserves Fermi way more than XFX:)
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:02am
I heard it was a combo of several issues.
1. XFX was selling a lot of ATI cards., XFX still sells Nvidia cards, and will continue to do so. Just not Fermi, right now.
2. Fermi has less profits for them than the red team.
3. double lifetime waranty on Fermi
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 6:38am
So XFX is some computer company??
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 10:59am
i think its becasue xfx is smart, and wont sell garbage, you have to admit, the 480 IS the BIGGEST fail of the nvidia vs ati days, im going to go make a 480 fail picture for my fore picture, but becasue the 480  fails so hard, it made my fail and im not going to make the 480 fail picture.......
steam friends is kainhall
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 2:41pm
Lol I guess we have an anti-Nvidia here!
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by kainhall

i think its becasue xfx is smart, and wont sell garbage, you have to admit, the 480 IS the BIGGEST fail of the nvidia vs ati days, im going to go make a 480 fail picture for my fore picture, but becasue the 480  fails so hard, it made my fail and im not going to make the 480 fail picture.......

Why do you say that? It performs better than ATI's best single GPU card (5870) for only an extra 25% price premium, and the drivers are much more stable. I have high hopes for future drivers too, Nvidia has always been good about performance increases as their drivers mature, but even at its current status I would definitely recommend it to most people over the 5870. At this point I'd only recommend the 5870 to people who need support for more monitors or people with a very strict power supply limit.

And don't believe all the cries of "It runs so hot!", mine idles at 38°C at 50% fan speed and maxes at 80°C at 80% fan speed under load. For reference, my old 8800GTS 512 idled at 50°C at 50% speed and maxed out at 70°C at 70% fan speed under load. This is a stock GTX 480 card in a HAF 932 case with stock fans (8800GTS 512 temps also from when in the HAF 932).
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 10:39am
well, from what i have seen its 25% higher price, for 15%to 20% better performance. and the 8800gt and higher and the 9800gt and higer were overheating tools. my 9800gt, with never touched heatsink got to 120C when playing like sims 3 and again when playing sins of a solar empire, evga precision told me this in game, and i shut it down.

luckly the card still works, and with a decent cooler- artic cooling accerero twin turbo-- it never gets to 60c.

and nvidia will always have better drivers AT FIRST, ati, given time, makes the exact same drivers.

but, they also promiced so much more from the card, i wish companys were just like....

look, were late, we have been having problems at tsmc, problems with our machines ETC, its goign to be late, its going to do 20 to 25 precent better then the 5870, and cost about 20% more.

insted of

100% better, and look the first working card was never in a computer and has wood deck screws in it. 

and rebranding is a joke, i bought my 9800gt when i did not know sh*t about computers, luckly my computer had a pcie 1.0 slot, or i would have tryed butting it in a APG slot unter a 250 watt psu.

that card, even thow it was a pain in my ass trying to coolit with a 2 foot by 2 foot house fan at high ans still having my computer just turn off, was annoying as hell, it made me learn to apply thermal paste, take appart a computer, look at its guts, and stick it back up.

but to rebranding agian, when you take a 8800gt, and put a sticker on it saying its a 9800gt asn selling it for more money, thats just stuped, and i think should be illegal. the same thing happened with the 300 gtx series, there old 2xx series cards that cost more.

i have always used nvidia, i still have that 9800gt, and if i did not buy a $2500 truck for $500 -----hell of a steal- i would have a phenom x6, a 890fx, some ddr3, and a 5870.

and any day, ati could take a huge crap on there prices, and then nvidia will be screwed. 

and yes, future drivers will make the 480 do better, but when are they going to be released. its now 7 or 8 months late, as i lost count, and i cant go buy a nvidia card, knowing im nto going to be screwed in a** by buba and get a card that is dx11 ready.

really, i need better ram and cpu right now, my 9800gt is bottle necked by my ram----366mhz ddr2, 2 gigs in vista--- and most lag is from that ram.....

but, when NV finally gets the 4xx series filled out with consumer cards, good price to performance with better drivers, the 6xxx will be so close to release, that most will wait untell they are released and but the ati cards........

anyway, i have homework, as im at school, geomerty sucks.......
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 12:22pm
Lol like me...
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 12:24pm
Your 9800GT had a serious issue if it ever really got even close to that hot, even on the low default auto fan setting. My 8800GTS (same card, different name) is caked with over two years worth of dust and never gets remotely that hot.

But anyway, your post just sounded like a big hate on Nvidia rant. Why I can certainly share your hating on Nvidia for their constant rebranding tactics, this doesn't have anything to do with the GTX 480. While it's a shame it didn't come out with the amazing performance they were expecting to get and hyped about in early production, understand that if they did manage it they would of been charging way more for it.

As it stands the GTX 480 maxes out a number of games at 1900x1200 resolution or higher, and/or has much more playable frame rates, that the 5870 does not while still offering an almost as good price point. It is in a very nice sweet spot. The 5970 has a bad price point, has all the issues and downsides that come with SLI/Crossfire, and is just overkill for 95% of the games so you're just wasting money on it. While the 5870 offers a good price point and is the ideal single GPU type solution, but falls short and chokes on too many games with high settings at 1900-x1200 and up. The 480 fills this gap nicely and offers room to grow with maturing drivers and more future games making use of tessellation.

I just goes wheres da moneys takes me.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 11:24pm
then you have more money than most, and most find the 480 not worth it.

those with $$$ love it.

Religion, Politics and GPU's don't mix
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 10:34am

well, i might sound anti NV, and im 80% for ati and 10% for NV and 10% for some small company to kick ass.

but, rebranding is bad, exeeyone aggres to that.

whats even worse is lieing to us, thats why im mad. and the 480 will do better with better drivers, but, i have never seen drivers do that much to performance, gliches, crashes??? yes drivers make the diference, but its only like 5% better over the life of the card.

anyway, the 480 rapes face on tessilation, but, most people dont know WTF is tessilation. and, by the time games start to use TS, the 6xxx, and mabey the 5xx from NV will be out before we see most games going with TS.

ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2010 at 12:21am
Originally posted by kainhall

anyway, i have homework, as im at school, geomerty sucks.......

nvidia ftw, and i, hate, GEOMETRY Sleepy

Smile
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply