Post Date: 2011-05-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nova View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: xm15 RAM+Screen Question
    Posted: 14 May 2011 at 12:30pm
I'm so close to getting a xm15, but my dad wants to know what brand of RAM is used for the laptop. Does anyone know? My friend said probably kingston?

Edit: Also, is it possible to switch the glare to matte screen? I want to buy from this company because I live pretty close to the actual DS offices and its cheaper, but mythlogic has much more options to choose from.

Edited by Nova - 14 May 2011 at 3:25pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2011 at 10:41pm
The memory is either Kingston or ADATA or Corsair. It depends on inventory and we can't pick one in particular. But, you should not worry about the brand, as basic memory modules for laptops are made the same way. It's just a sticker that makes a different brand. We do extensively test the laptops before they ship, and we do offer a warranty behind him.

The glossy screen is the only option as of right now for the xm15. I'm sorry about that.

One of the reasons why we offer limited options on the xm15 is because we want to offer them at the most competitive prices and still ensure we offer our customers only quality options.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2011 at 11:05pm
I'm seriously seriously wondering where the heck Mythlogic and Xotic are getting their matte screens...probably non-standard.

Mythlogic's vs. DS though, eh, Mythlogic has that and they also have color calibration for free on all rigs, but their customer support base and pricing...eh, I dunnn. I'm stuck in the same position as you are, haha.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Nova View Drop Down

Quote Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2011 at 11:39pm
Thanks. Hopefully I can convince my dad now. Probably tell him I want a ds laptop or an super expensive one from some other brand name company so he'll choose the xm15. xD
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2011 at 1:51pm
The reason why we're not offering special screens is because Clevo has told us that they do not warranty laptops that have their screen modified:

They are offering the screens on their own. They have purchased the screens from whoever the vendor is and offered on the notebooks they are selling. Clevo does not offer that and do not warrant the notebook in which the screen has been replaced by the resellers themselves.

We rather not run the risk of our customers dealing with voided warranty situations.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2011 at 4:11pm
Ahh that makes sense :D
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Unlicensedhitman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Unlicensedhitman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2011 at 4:15pm
I have a glossy screen on my DS xm15. It's like a mirror. You can fix this while keeping the warranty on your laptop by applying an Anti-glare screen protector.
http://greenonionssupply.com/spfg15hdm.html

If you do buy this, you should apply it gently and patiently. If you push too hard, you can damage your screen and/or leave smudges on your screen. Air bubbles are a pain in the butt Upset, if you get one near the corner, I would just ignore it. If you try to get rid of it, it will just create more.

Edited by Unlicensedhitman - 15 May 2011 at 4:16pm
Digital Storm xm15 laptop
-15.6" (1366x768)
-Windows 7 HP 64-bit
-Intel Core i5 2.4 Ghz
-Nvidia GeForce 330GT 1GB + Intel HD w/ Nividia Optimus
-6GB DDR3 ram
-Intel 80GB SSD
-Intel Wireless N 6300
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2011 at 7:27pm
Reviving this topic because I found something interesting on Xotic...they're specifying an abnormally low price on their matte displays with the NP5165, and next to it states the reason "New Sager Option"...Confused
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply