xp vs vista

Post Date: 2008-01-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
newmember View Drop Down
  Quote newmember Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: xp vs vista
    Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 2:27pm
is there any feasible reason to get vista over xp, seems like ive seen nothing but complaining about vista, especially from gamers, so why would I bother?
im running a several year old cheap dell with xp, and i dont think ive -EVER- had a more than simple problem with it, ive done a clean reformat twice, the system runs well... i dont see any reason to go for vista
im about to get a new rig and im thinking that i will just stick with my copy of xp

the only kicker that i can think of is DX10, but ive seen whispers online of people independentally developing dx10 for xp...

dont fix it if it aint broke?
Solo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 2:47pm
Its personal preference.  DX10 is better graphics man, reguardless.  Not really sure if XP could produce everything the same.

I had problems with Vista so I got XP on my new DS machine.  Vista is pretty but uses more system resources, thus giving you reduced gaming perfomance (slightly reduced)

look up other threads and you can see more in depth discussion
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 3:08pm
i have no problems with vista.

it has better networking, better security, better applications, better auto-find and better layout.

Edited by skyR - 01 Jan 2008 at 3:09pm
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 4:17pm
I to was a bit concerned about Vista, but Vista is the future, all software producers are building applications with Vista in mind. Yes, Vista has it problems but hopfully within the next 3 or so months there will be SP1 to correct most of these issues. As far as performance goes its getting better with each new driver update, annoying I know but worth it in the end.

At least until the next MS OS is released its the best we got....bugs and all.
newmember View Drop Down
  Quote newmember Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 4:18pm
yea sky, id be willing to bet that you could make almost any OS do exactly what you felt like, but for someone who doesnt know exactly what can be removed, fixed, tweaked, etc it can be a lot more overwhelming
not to mention this huge online movement of people having the video driver stopped issue with vista and nvidia cards

if xp is just as good for gaming minus dx10... i dunno

and i have a feeling we will see a non-microsoft dx10 in the near future, they are just trying to force upgrades
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by newmember

yea sky, id be willing to bet that you could make almost any OS do exactly what you felt like, but for someone who doesnt know exactly what can be removed, fixed, tweaked, etc it can be a lot more overwhelming
not to mention this huge online movement of people having the video driver stopped issue with vista and nvidia cards

if xp is just as good for gaming minus dx10... i dunno

and i have a feeling we will see a non-microsoft dx10 in the near future, they are just trying to force upgrades

Seems to me you've already made your mind up.  Stay with XP.  I haven't had any issues with Vista and I've used XP for years up to this point.  If you don't like what you're reading and don't like what you've seen, then don't buy it... simple.

It is subjective.
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 5:10pm
newmember View Drop Down
  Quote newmember Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 5:11pm
yes, thats what i was talking about, but its still in alpha phases
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 5:14pm
well if these screenshots are real I would think its safe to say vista > XP even though of the compatability issues vista has that are constantly being fixed as time progesses
syn View Drop Down

Quote syn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 5:22pm

is there any feasible reason to get vista over xp, seems like ive seen nothing but complaining about vista, especially from gamers, so why would I bother?
im running a several year old cheap dell with xp, and i dont think ive -EVER- had a more than simple problem with it, ive done a clean reformat twice, the system runs well... i dont see any reason to go for vista
im about to get a new rig and im thinking that i will just stick with my copy of xp

the only kicker that i can think of is DX10, but ive seen whispers online of people independentally developing dx10 for xp...

Honestly this subject has been done to death, and has become quite tired and full of FUD.

Do you remember when XP was released, and everyone whined and complained how it was such a buggy piece of trash, and how they'd never switch from 98/ME to XP? I do, and look at XP today: It has become the standard OS. Vista is going to become the standard OS whether you siwtch today or not, but keep in mind you WILL be crossing over at some point.. The reason to switch? DX10+ support (XP is never getting DX10+, sorry), better security, a much more polished gui, superfetch (meh), readyboost, and a few more tidbits.

You weren't an 'early adopter' of vista, so you can't really complain about bugs at all, since the majority of the bugs/driver issues have been smoothed over, and the remainders are being fixed constantly. I'm sure you can find a bunch of scrubs blogging about how evil microsoft and vista is, but those are the same people who bawled their eyes out when it came time to switch to XP, and then realized "sh*t, it really wasn't that bad".

Vista the future, and unless you're running some trash rig with 512mb ram and a P3 1.4 ghz cpu (frankly, you're here so you shouldn't be), your "performance loss" will be ~5 fps, and that will be lowered as more polished drivers arrive, or if you can spend 5 minutes on google learning to tweak the OS (which you should have already been doing with XP, since darlin', xp ain't perfect).

/endrant
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 5:41pm
What is it with people?  Vista is in the same stages as XP was and as Win 93 and 98 were.  This is all so relative to now.

Wake up and smell the silicon and solder.  It's all gearing toward what lies ahead of us, not what our old "I wishes" are.  I don't like this and I don't like that!  I think Vista sucks because... !  Vista is a resource hog!   Vista hit on my sister!  Vista got me pregnant!  Ok, maybe a little of the beaten path, but point well taken?

Everyone shut your pieholes about Vista and buy it, or don't!  Vista is like XP was in its infancy, problematic, rough and unrefined in some ways.  Get over it and suck it up!  New OSs will come and go and Vista one day, too, will be outdated and the new king of the hill will have the top of the dirt pile.  All you weenies out there that don't like change and can't build a rig that will keep up with your buddies' will have to stick with the whimpy little space heater that you've  been dumping money into for years fixing and patching holes and continue dreaming about what you wish you could do.

Or, you can save up your allowance and build you a mac daddy rig with Vista, and be a part of the few that are having no issues with it and rock through every game out there. 

Go with Vista.  Don't go with Vista.  Do what you must.  But, for the love of Pete, DO SOMETHING AND STOP YOUR WHINING!

I'm done, and have a nice day.

CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by syn

Honestly this subject has been done to death, and has become quite tired and full of FUD.

Do you remember when XP was released, and everyone whined and complained how it was such a buggy piece of trash, and how they'd never switch from 98/ME to XP? I do, and look at XP today: It has become the standard OS. Vista is going to become the standard OS whether you siwtch today or not, but keep in mind you WILL be crossing over at some point.. The reason to switch? DX10+ support (XP is never getting DX10+, sorry), better security, a much more polished gui, superfetch (meh), readyboost, and a few more tidbits.

You weren't an 'early adopter' of vista, so you can't really complain about bugs at all, since the majority of the bugs/driver issues have been smoothed over, and the remainders are being fixed constantly. I'm sure you can find a bunch of scrubs blogging about how evil microsoft and vista is, but those are the same people who bawled their eyes out when it came time to switch to XP, and then realized "sh*t, it really wasn't that bad".

Vista the future, and unless you're running some trash rig with 512mb ram and a P3 1.4 ghz cpu (frankly, you're here so you shouldn't be), your "performance loss" will be ~5 fps, and that will be lowered as more polished drivers arrive, or if you can spend 5 minutes on google learning to tweak the OS (which you should have already been doing with XP, since darlin', xp ain't perfect).

/endrant

Wow!  You got in there right before I did.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 6:02pm
I have a 8800GT.. just installed vista, haven't done anything to it. never had a problem. I think this OS is 50x better than XP simply due to the fact it finds the drivers for any device I plug in =d
pgs8113 View Drop Down
  Quote pgs8113 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 6:57pm
which version of vista are you using sky?
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 7:08pm
32-bit premium
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 8:06pm
i have a 8800gt, vista 32 premium
computer worked like a dream for a week, then i got the "common error with windows when you leave your comp idle"
the video driver stopped error, tried to restart, had a missing registry key.
clean vista install off the image cd
driver off the image disk
ran for about 10 minutes then driver stopped error every 30 seconds
now i cant even get my computer to display anything on the monitor, at all

im guessing at this point that it was a hardware issue, but i have no way of knowing...
appearently the 8800s have been acting up a bit, but i did a LOT of reading trying to solve this and i came across pages and pages and pages and pages talking about how nvidia and vista seem to bang heads and that i am not the only person who had this problem, luckily i bought from DSO so im not dreading the phone call tomorrow when we figure out what to do

Edited by !ender_ - 01 Jan 2008 at 8:08pm
aCi11i3s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote aCi11i3s Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 7:56pm
dual boot.  Vista for DX10...XP Pro for everything else.  sp 1 is out for Vista now too, so rock and roll
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 11:22pm
Vista isn't really "the future", it's a decision. Windows 7 is slated to come out at about the time support for XP is officially scheduled to end. When we say an operating system is "the future" it makes "the future" sound like some final destination. It isn't. It's a state of flux.

Some may decide to move to Vista now. Aside from companies like Crytek, that apparently have a reason to disable DX9.0c features in order to make DX10 look better, there really is no compelling performance reason to do so for gaming, IMO. This is why Microsoft is still supporting both products. Some like the idea of having the latest OS, others simply ask for a product that delivers.

Personally, I think you need both kinds of people. Without early adapters, the new product doesn't sell and so may die before it even gets a chance to get started. Without people that demand performance, and a product as close to perfection as possible, companies like M$ can simply toss a piece of Censored OS on the market, call it gold, and laugh all the way to the bank.

I don't see a reason to believe that because one of those two selections is correct for you, that it must, of necessity be the only correct choice for *everyone*. If you can, run dual boot. If you have to choose only one, choose the one that will make you happy. Before you know it, they will both be outdated, useless, and all but forgotten.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 02 Jan 2008 at 11:23pm
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 2:38pm
"How to Add XP to a Vista Machine"

You can have it both ways.
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
Akkim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Akkim Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 3:21pm
The only problem I have right now is that, sure.. Vista is an "Option" and sure Vista may be at a point 95/98/XP was at before it...

But it still seems far shakier than where those other builds were at this point in time. We're looking at SP1 - but still many hardware manufacturers are still having TONS of support/driver issues with Vista (Anyone else out there running an X-Fi card hearing static in Vista?)...

I think we all hoped SP1 would come a long way in clearing up the issues, but it looks like we may have to wait for Vista R2 (R2, not SP2) to come along and really get this product launched right.

Then again, it's just my $.02.. and I'm sure as soon as I get my DS rig in hand I'll be pestering everyone to help me convert from XP -> Vista on it and getting all the spiffy OC/Testing Tools going.. =)

--Akkim
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Akkim

The only problem I have right now is that, sure.. Vista is an "Option" and sure Vista may be at a point 95/98/XP was at before it...

But it still seems far shakier than where those other builds were at this point in time. We're looking at SP1 - but still many hardware manufacturers are still having TONS of support/driver issues with Vista (Anyone else out there running an X-Fi card hearing static in Vista?)...

I think we all hoped SP1 would come a long way in clearing up the issues, but it looks like we may have to wait for Vista R2 (R2, not SP2) to come along and really get this product launched right.

Then again, it's just my $.02.. and I'm sure as soon as I get my DS rig in hand I'll be pestering everyone to help me convert from XP -> Vista on it and getting all the spiffy OC/Testing Tools going.. =)

--Akkim

I am running this sound card with no issues.  Although, I did have these issues when I was using a blue tooth keyboard and mouse.  Now, this may not be your situation, but everytime I moved my BT mouse I would get some cracking through the speakers.  I changed the BT for a Wave keyboard and changed the mouse to a G5 and haven't had any issues since.

I did some research on BT and its relevance to this issue and all fingers point to BT competes with your SC frequency.  BT = bad interference. 

Again, this may not be your issue, but it was mine and now all better.
Akkim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Akkim Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2008 at 10:18am
It's not the same issue - I've jumped through a ton of hoops to try to clear it. It has to do with Vista running games in Windows/Windowed mode and boy is it frustrating =)

Either way.. we're kinda getting off-topic here so I won't sweat it too badly.

--Akkim
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2008 at 10:53am
I have a BT keyboard and I HATE it.  No sound card issues, but I often have to reconnect it after a restart for for some reason either through the control panel or by continually clicking the keyboard for 10-20 seconds (although I am using them through bootcamp on a mac- don't know if that matters)... Also, I noticed that in world of warcraft, if I hit too many keys too quickly, the computer seems to think the keys are stuck down and the action just continues until I mash keys for 20 seconds and it resets. yay for off topic.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2008 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by MarkNY

I have a BT keyboard and I HATE it.  No sound card issues, but I often have to reconnect it after a restart for for some reason either through the control panel or by continually clicking the keyboard for 10-20 seconds (although I am using them through bootcamp on a mac- don't know if that matters)... Also, I noticed that in world of warcraft, if I hit too many keys too quickly, the computer seems to think the keys are stuck down and the action just continues until I mash keys for 20 seconds and it resets. yay for off topic.

Yes, I had these issue also with my BT.  It would disconnect and lock-up at random moments... sucked.
 Post Reply Post Reply