You want i7 benches, you got em :D

Post Date: 2008-10-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: You want i7 benches, you got em :D
    Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 8:00am
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://hardware.mydrivers.com/2/118/118851.htm

Gaming benchmarks start on page 24.  Its clear to me i7 is just a transition processor, as the Q9750 is faster in some instances...Throw in the cost of a X58 and DDR3, and I can't justify buying an i7 processor for gaming purposes over a Q9650 or above CPU, especially when you can get SLI-280's for the same price as a i7 setup.
Nomak View Drop Down

Quote Nomak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 8:41am
Nooo!

After having red all the crappy-translated pages i came to a conclusion that games are not yet optimized for Core i7, although same could be said about Core2Extreme chips like qx9770 which was tested - games arent optimized for quads yet.

So w/e gains Core i7 will get from utilizing more cores so will qx9770 and the rest of the quads that come before it.

There goes the balloon chip. Big%20smile

Edited by Nomak - 21 Oct 2008 at 8:55am
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 9:40am
My point was to prove dead the "20% increase" some people were claiming.  For gaming purposes, spending close to $800+ on X58, i7, and DDR3 makes zero sense.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 12:47pm
been there seen that, its old and did not have the proper hardware for it.

the q9770 is $1200 on its own, what ever you spend on a q9650 you can spend on the nehalem (if not cheaper) and get better results.
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 1:48pm
Sure, the QX9750 costs an arm and a leg, but the Q9650 goes for around $500, and should take a price hit onces i7 comes out.  No reason to spend that type of money until I see clear performance increases.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 2:10pm
No reason to jump to conclusions till the chip is out with all its components.

i7 is gonna cost less then current penryn. The q9650 is not a an extreme chip, so you are comparing apples with oranges.

you need to compare the q9650 to a Nehalem none extreme chip, which will cost less then current penryn,

the x58 is suppose to cost less then x48.

there is no qx9750 chip there is however a qx9770 chip.

you are assuming an awful lot here.

you are assuming x58 prices.

you are assuming i7 prices.

you are assuming penryn price drops.

lets just let the chip come out and see for a fact what it can do.

the rest is just theories, and the truth is that you can't judge a chip by games only, its was not meant for games, but if you want to run games on it, it can do a great job and it can do better then any other processor, it has no FSB, to me that is enough reason to use it, you can use what ever ram speed you like.

but again thats me, lets not speculate, there is enough speculations. its almost here, lets just wait for the facts

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Oct 2008 at 2:11pm
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

i7 is gonna cost less then current penryn. The q9650 is not a an extreme chip, so you are comparing apples with oranges.

you need to compare the q9650 to a Nehalem none extreme chip, which will cost less then current penryn,

the x58 is suppose to cost less then x48.

there is no qx9750 chip there is however a qx9770 chip.

you are assuming an awful lot here.

you are assuming x58 prices.

you are assuming i7 prices.

you are assuming penryn price drops.

lets just let the chip come out and see for a fact what it can do.

the rest is just theories, and the truth is that you can't judge a chip by games only, its was not meant for games, but if you want to run games on it, it can do a great job and it can do better then any other processor, it has no FSB, to me that is enough reason to use it, you can use what ever ram speed you like.

but again thats me, lets not speculate, there is enough speculations. its almost here, lets just wait for the facts

EE Edition = Unlocked Multiplyer.  Doesnt affect performance.

1: X58 prices announced for overseas (converted to USD) comes out to around ~$350+ for a X58 mobo, where even a P45 can get the job done for around $90.  I don't know anyone who actually brought a X48 anyway,,,

2: Simple market economics: Theres still a tone of Penryn chips out there Intel wants to sell.  Either Intel does a price drop, or the people selling them will.  No one wants to end up with hundreds of chips no one wants anymore.

3: i7 was designed with Servers in mind.  Hence why people who are building GAMING PC's wont see any benifit.

4: DDR3 is still much more than DDR2, and most will want to run in tri-channel mode if at all possible, rising the cost of a i7 setup farther.

i7 is an improvement, just not one it looks wise to invest in.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 12:22pm
unlocked multiplier, allows you much better OC, I don't see how that does not effect performance.

1. like I said your problem is that you are converting, the prices are not gonna be the same here.

2. correct.

3. wrong
The Core i7 system was an average 10-20fps faster than the QX9770 powered system. However, certain parts of the game were up to 30-40fps faster using the upcoming CPU which is quite an impressive result

4. again you are speculating prices

with all do respect just because you came to a speculative conclusion, its does not make i7 a bad choice, that would be only true if, you had actual prices and the PC was only for games and the user didn't want the 20 to 40 fps edge that the i7 offers.

again speculating prices and other things and then coming to a definitive conclusion based on those speculation is not a good idea, nor is it conclusive in any which way.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Oct 2008 at 12:55pm
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 8:17am
The game Intel showed was Lost Planet, a game which DYNAMICALLY uses more cores as they are avaliable, and the only game i can think of right now that does this.  With 8 cores (4 virtual, 4 actual), its a no-contest, of course.  If it was 20 extra FPS in Crysis, then we would have something to talk about, but its one of the few games that was specifically designed with multi-core in mind, and a really bad example considering how few games do this.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 11:14am

All of the components are available already... Just not to you or the general public yet.

There still is a front side bus, and you are actually limited to 1333mhz ram since going over 1.65v for the dram voltage can/will fry the chip, so until higher clocked ram comes outwith lower voltages, you are stuck with either ddr3 1066 or 1333.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by gamerk2

The game Intel showed was Lost Planet, a game which DYNAMICALLY uses more cores as they are avaliable, and the only game i can think of right now that does this.  With 8 cores (4 virtual, 4 actual), its a no-contest, of course.  If it was 20 extra FPS in Crysis, then we would have something to talk about, but its one of the few games that was specifically designed with multi-core in mind, and a really bad example considering how few games do this.

my point exactly, lets wait and see how it does in different games then arrive at conclusions
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by venom

All of the components are available already... Just not to you or the general public yet.

There still is a front side bus, and you are actually limited to 1333mhz ram since going over 1.65v for the dram voltage can/will fry the chip, so until higher clocked ram comes outwith lower voltages, you are stuck with either ddr3 1066 or 1333.

Core i7 has no Voltage limitations

IDF Taipei: Independant memory Voltage

Despite everything we've heard so far, it seems like Intel hasn't implemented a Voltage limitation on the Core i7 processors, nor on the memory and the two aren't linked to each other. We've heard reports of some boards reaching 2.2 or even as much as 2.4V on the memory, so those of you out there with high-performance DDR3 memory have nothing to worry about.

Furthermore, it seems like the 1.65V limitations for the Core i7 CPUs is a safety precaution, as the CPUs are unlikely to die straight away if you go beyond this, but it will shorten the life span of the processors. Intel doesn't really seem to know at what Voltage the life span will be severely shortened and the 1.65V limit is a blanket safe zone so that people don't end up frying their processors.

Turbo Boost will not modify the CPU Voltage and it even sounded like there's no need to tweak the CPU Voltage for the average overclocker and that this is something that would only be needed to be done by extreme overclockers and the Intel people we spoke to sounded very pleased with the overclocking results of the Core i7 processors.

It's still about a month to go before anyone will be able to get their hands on the new CPUs and actually start frying them, but we have a feeling that most people won't be having any issues, especially as there's no correlation between the CPU and memory Voltage with should please a lot of people that have been thinking about upgrading to the new platform.

good day venom   
Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 4:11pm
But but but..... "but it will shorten the life span of the processors." POSSIBLY.  I'll stick to waiting for more constant reviews saying "This processor and that processor died several days later, going at this said voltage."
"People believe in people who believe in others."
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 4:20pm
which is exactly why I keep saying lets wait and see what everybody can do.
 Post Reply Post Reply