Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: you will NOT believe this
    Posted: 04 May 2008 at 9:52pm

being the proud owner of a DSO LITE, ive put a decent amount of thought into what i can do to improve my case; i came to the conclusion that the front/lower 120mm intake is not only starved for incoming air but also practically blocked on the inside anyway, leaving the open air case as sort of a stagnant tin case. as some of you may have read, i have some gear on the way for a massive overhaul of the cooling system, 3 120mm fans and a 5.25x3 intake mount.

since i have no patience and idle time, today i decided to gut my case and see what i could improve before anything came in, well let me just say the results were amazing.

previously i had some trouble with my system's psu. since at that time i was already scared about messing something up on the hardware end, i swapped the psus without even looking at the cable work.

today i swapped the IDE and SATA dvd drives, to spread the massive ide cable out some more and open up some space. i also tinkered with the psu outputs enough to be able to remove an entire cable, opening more space. finally i popped out the 3 unused 5.25 bay covers, where the kama bay mount is going when it gets here.

ok enough of my rambling, lets see the results!
before
idle     39-41C
load    65-67C

after
idle     34-35C
load    58-60C

i consider this a very big deal to anyone attempting to overclock with a LITE case, leave the front door open and pop those bay covers! even if you dont get a fan mount, its a free 4-5 degree drop because you arent starving the cpu heatsink any more

THATS NOT ALL

this also gave a 3-4 degree drop in GPU idle temps, and the same in HD temps

total cost: 20 minutes
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2008 at 9:56pm
This is *exactly* what I found in opening up the 2 empty 5.25" drive bays in the Pro/750i case. Once you drop in the Kama Bay, if you get something with a reasonable airflow to it, and keep the air flow in one direction from front, through your CPU HSF, and out the rear, you should see a further drop of 2 to 4*C under load if it behaves at all like my case.

Oh, don't forget to put something like a nice S-Flex in that Kama Bay. The stock fan it comes with blows, and not in the way you would like.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 04 May 2008 at 9:59pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2008 at 10:02pm
kama bay + slipstream, 2nd slipstream as secondary side intake, weak junk fan included with kama bay as top exhaust = sexy.
the 5.25x3 hole, the arctic cooler, and the rear exhaust line up almost like it was built to be 
i must admit when i did this i had to check my OC twice, i just couldnt beleive it.

it goes even further towards the point i was making in my other post about these cases with such flawed designs, starving the intake to make these cases look "sweet" is such a joke. id take better cooling and worse looking -any- day of the week

Edited by !ender_ - 04 May 2008 at 10:04pm
bluebmax View Drop Down

Quote bluebmax Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2008 at 4:39pm
The first two computers I build had great looking exteriors and were designed for airflow. The latter had a 250mm fan in the front of it. (It was designed and named after a jet engine. Very sleek look too.)
"Running military and personal networks since 2005."
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 7:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply