Post Date: 2014-08-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
brucexx View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote brucexx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Your move Digital Storm
    Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 7:19am
So Alienware announced the new X51 with Haswell-E and DDR4 (up to 32Gigs) on their smallest gaming platform X51. I am not that crazy about the 3 graphics cards as I would prefer one but top of the line and use the remaining space to get more RAM but I might be in minority here.

I never considered the old X51 because of the overall performance of the machine, I did consider Bolt and Bolt II for aesthetic reasons and ability to upgrade, replace parts but for the same reasons only up to 16Gigs of RAM I am still waiting to update my aging system.

I think and this is my personal optioning, that Bolt and Bolt II are better engineered and looking than X51 in almost any respect but again the lack of support for intel E series processors and limit of 16 Gigs of RAM (or just 2 slots for RAM sticks)on mini-ITX boards was a deal breaker for me.

For me the future of PCs (not only gaming PCs) are computers with extreme power put into as small chassis as possible that would perform well at my computer desk and would look great in my living room a the same time (Bolt and Bolt II definitely would).

Anyway your move Digital Storm...    
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 9:27am
I'll let the big boys (and girls) who know way more than I regarding processors and RAM cohabitation chime in on that topic. I just wanted to add my own personal opinion to rebut, if you will, the tone and tenor of your statements.

I will take the LOWEST cost, LOWEST performing, LOWEST powered machine from DS over anything that company you mentioned would offer, even if I only had to pay $1 for it.

Why? Customer Service. All day, each day and every day. I refuse to do business with that company since they sold out to the bigger named company and moved all of their "support" to clueless warehoused employees who can only read from a script. Who know less about computing than most people who contact them for help, and have to lie to the customer just to get them off the phone. Also, IMHO, their products are built solely for sales, not computing or gaming, just to pad the pockets of their shareholders.

They can "announce" anything they want. Unless and until they learn to actually treat customers like customers and not like a herd of cash-cows, they can take their 'announcement' and pound sand.

Please accept my apologies if this note offends. I am, and I always will be, vehemently opposed to anything that company says or does.

Other than that, welcome to the forums and be well.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 4:47pm
The Bolts only support Mini-ITX motherboards. I have no idea how big the new X51 case is, but if it has 8 DIMM slots and and fit 3 Graphics cards, it is a lot bigger then the Bolt II. The Bolt II will support the Titan Z. They are waiting on a new run of Bolt II cases that will support a wider range of graphics cards.

Comparing the new X51 to the Bolt II, is like comparing apples and oranges. I expect the new X51 is quite a bit larger than the Bolt II. It seems to me you would be happier with something in a Micro-ATX case, which generally support at 4 DIMMs and up to 2 graphics cards.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 5:03pm
The Bolt is bigger than the X51 by just a few inches so i am not sure how the x51 can fit 3 graphics cards as that thing looks kinda small.

But what you decide on is your decision and hopefully whichever it is you will be happy with.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 30 Aug 2014 at 5:06pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
brucexx View Drop Down

Quote brucexx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 6:39am
Just to clarify, I was referring to the new X51 announced yesterday Aug 30, 2014. You are right fitting 3 graphics cards will require much bigger box. I suspect they have some custom build MB (or not hard to say looking at the pictures).

Now the Forbes article says it is a new area X51 design which implies to me that they (or the manufacturer) refers to the next in line upgraded X51 which is considered mini gaming PC being a little bit smaller than Bolt II (at least when looking at pictures), hence I though that the dimensions are similar to the size of "mini gaming PC". The Forbes article did not mention physical dimensions.

Thank you for pointing out the 3 graphic cards which obviously would make the case much bigger. I started searching for dimensions of the case and according to hothardware website the dimensions are 25.16 inches (D) by 10.74 inches (W) by 22.41 inches (H) which makes is not that mini any more...

This makes the comparison between Bolt/Bolt II and new X51 pointless. As danjw1 suggested apples and oranges.

Thank you

Edited by brucexx - 31 Aug 2014 at 6:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply