FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zotac GTX 670 Protection

Post Date: 2012-07-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TotalKiRaRoth View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TotalKiRaRoth Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Zotac GTX 670 Protection
    Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 2:17am

After some research, me and my friend Paul (a pro PC builder) decided that for the extra cash, a Zotac ZT-60302-10P GTX 670 would be a perfect replacement for my XFX Radeon HD 7850 Stock Edition.

Two problems though: With such a high power CPU, the idea of a potential cooling system comes to mind. I have a Marauder Lvl 3, so I have three 120mm fans/heat sinks and plenty of vents. Would a CPU cooling system be a smart move though?

and two, the Zotac 670 is freaking huge, and from what I understand, heavy as all hell. Someone told me to use a CPU external bracket to help support the weight and not break my motherboard. Where can I come across one for it?

People have told me to stay away from this CPU for these reasons and just stick with a stock 670. However, for only an extra 50 bucks, I can have this monster and not have to worry about upgrading further. I want the Zotac, and so any help with the aformentioned issues would be spectacular.

For reference as to what CPU I want, click here:

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:52am
Hi TotalKiRaRoth,

Just for your information, your processor is the CPU and the video card is a GPU. Your post was a little confusing to me.

The Zotac is a new card and not with out some problems. The one review I read had a problem with the card over heating do to the way the heat sinks were fasten to the processor.

It is a fast card with its very fast clock setting. The real advantage to it is that you can run a surround system with the one card. If you are not planning on using 3 or 4 monitors then this feature is a waste. Another problem is the lack of a back plate and you will have to figure out some way to add some support to the card. The card takes three slots. Will it even fit into your case?

If it was me I would be buying a GTX 670 2Gb FTW. It is OC and is a very good card. It only takes two slots.

In regards to your CPU cooler. You should be monitoring your temps and they will tell you if you need a CPU cooler.

Frank
LaneHayes View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote LaneHayes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 8:26am

Pretty cool card, an excellent show piece for the window. Also make sure that it will fit width-dimensionally in the Marauder case, those heat pipes look like they stick out pretty far.

Instead of dealing with all of that hassle and extra 50 bucks, I'd probably just go with a normal GTX 670 as its likely that all the 6xx classification of cards will go obsolete/lose 60fps on current games around the same time.

That said, if you're set on the big one and it will fit, it should be fine since the  back of the case supports the weight, not really the mobo slot.

Post Reply Post Reply