FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 Time DS Customer - talk me off the ledge

Post Date: 2018-11-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
regnav View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote regnav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2 Time DS Customer - talk me off the ledge
    Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 8:20pm
Hi all,

I'm a 2 time DS customer. A week ago I called sales to inquire about shipping my case back and getting upgrades. (order number 30266) Rep completed a ticket and said I would get a call in 1 business day. After 3 business days I assumed they didn't do upgrades anymore so I started looking at the competition for new builds and compared to current DS offers.

I have to say I was going to place an order with *********** yesterday, but Alex sent me the 'sorry no one has contacted' you email that seems to have become the norm vs the anomaly. That said I'm going to give them a chance to call me back.

All of that said, the build I created at **** is ~500 cheaper than DS for as close as I could get to the same spec. I researched **** and have read all the horror stories on lack of communication, etc with that company.
Given my current experience and seemingly large gap in price vs **** I'm really close to rolling the dice.

Would love to get your thoughts and perspective before I make a move. My last two DS builds were an avg of ~2.7k and where I'm aiming on this build.

Thanks!
regnav

.. Competitor's name removed ..

Edited by Snaike - 16 Nov 2018 at 3:10pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 12:36am
Depends on what you're looking for.

You know you want to spend 1.1k more for the better service, bespoke case, and custom water loop for both an 8 core processor and 2080 Ti

Digital Storm BOLT X (Config # 2104010)
$3,803.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm BOLT X
Trim Accents: Edge to Edge Premium Tempered Glass

Core Components
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8-Core) (Boost Up to 4.3 GHz)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming (Wi-Fi) (AMD X470) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device)

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 550W Lian-Li PE-550 (Supports up to RTX 2070)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm HydroLux PRO LITE (CPU + Graphics Card)

HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)

HydroLux Fluid Color: Clear Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)

Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Black Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Maybe hold off buying until Cyber Monday where they usually sweeten up the warranty duration.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 3:56am
Digital Storm is very competitive and has to be with all the competition out here.   If you can save $500 somewhere else it does sound awesome, but makes you wonder what’s being cut to give that pricing.     

Someone else posted here not long ago with the same story, same company, and ended up canceling because they started getting emails of parts changes, delays, don’t remember the exact details.

I have no personal experience with that company, but haven’t heard much positive other than pricing.    Up to you, but DS would be my choice.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 7:18am
I chose DS over eight years ago for my 1st rig (on my 2nd now) precisely because of the huge difference in satisfaction to be seen on the other websites. I think it speaks volumes that nothing has changed in eight years at the other vendors. Not much in general has changed here either, except they have struggled just a bit lately to overcome parts shortages and the move to new facilities. The major difference remains however. DS always cares and satisfies in the end. All the time I've spent here, I've never known otherwise.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 12:50pm
I have commented elsewhere about Digital Storm's communication issues, and I honestly aside from saying that I'll no longer be defending DS on that front, I'll just say that I'm sorry to hear you've experienced communication issues.

That said, I strongly, strongly urge you to not go with the company whose name will shortly be edited out of your post. I have never owned a computer from that company (my horrendous PC story relates to a company of the extraterrestrial nature Big%20Smile), but I know two people who have. The first person had their PC arrive with parts rolling around inside of it and MOBO damage. It took them over a week of arguing just to get the PC sent back. When they got it back again it wouldn't boot. I tried helping them to fix it and we narrowed it back to, you guessed, the MOBO again. They ended up having to pay the company just to get rid of the PC.

The second person had the PC arrive just fine, but it started overheating with games within a week or two, and eventually would overheat at the idle Windows desktop. They tried re-seating, re-pasting, etc. all the usual stuff and the tech support sent them "useful" replies such as "make sure there is no dust in the PC" (on a machine that was less than 1.5 months old). Eventually they had to send their PC back, and to the credit of whoever fixed it, it did run ok after that. However, as to longevity, the PSU went to crap when the PC was 10 months old and the company put an insane $750 hold on this person's credit card for what was a garbage after-market PSU we later saw going for $90 (and was not the same PSU or even the same wattage as the one they had replaced). The PC died-died before it was two years old.

So, this is coming from someone who has recently taken a more critical (but still favorable) eye of DS, PLEASE do not use that company you are considering, it is NOT worth the $500 in savings. I wouldn't even use that company for a $1000 difference.

Edited by Tidgxor - 16 Nov 2018 at 12:52pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:05am
Hi regnav,

Thank you for being a repeat customer. We've finished moving to our new larger facility and the part shortage issues have ironed out. Things are getting back on track. In addition, I would be more than happy to be your direct point of contact for your order.

Please keep in mind, saving some money, in the beginning, seems interesting by going with a more "discount" brand, however, what you are purchasing is an investment and it's not just the sum of it's parts that we need to consider.

We don't rush and cut corners on quality, we want to provide our customers with the best system possible. I know you would want the same as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply