FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2nd DS PC ~6K budget questions.

Post Date: 2016-12-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BOTA:146 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 2nd DS PC ~6K budget questions.
    Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 8:24pm
My first boutique PC (I spent years building my own) was a DS ODE Level 4 built in 2012. Still using it today and NEVER have I had a problem with it.

I'm loooking to build a new system, and would like to know if with the following configuration, would onboard WiFi be acceptable or should I go for the add in PCI card?

Also, any other advice on this build would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Budget:
~ $6,000

Expectations:
Widescreen gaming on three 24" 1080p monitors
Oculus Rift ready
Must be WiFi capable

Usage:
Flight Sim X & X-Plane 11
Many other titles such as Fallout 4 and GTA V
Photographic editing

Special Needs:
Widescreen gaming support

Saved Ticket #: 1575205

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6850K 3.6GHz (6-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W EVGA 1000 GQ
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (EVGA ACX 3.0) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: White Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (White) Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature + Windows Installation CD (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by BOTA:146 - 30 Dec 2016 at 12:35pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 5:38am
Hi BOTA:146...... That build looks real good to me.    

My only suggestion is to consider changing to the 6800k CPU and save a couple hundred bucks.    The only difference between the 6800 and 6850 is the number of PCIE lanes, 28 vs 40.   For your sli, each card might use x8 lanes vs 16 lanes and testing shows the 1080 won't saturate the x8.    Maybe x16 with primary and x8 secondary, haven't checked with that board. Nothing wrong going with 6850 so up to you.

Do you need 64 gb ram ?   Unless your editing is very demanding, 32 should do it.   

That's it.   

Good luck and let us know how it goes.   

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 7:39am
Thanks for the quick reply, bprat22.

I chose 64GB RAM because I do astrophotography and edit several large images at the same time. I have 16GB in my current system and often will run out of memory (VERY frustrating). It should also help with stacking programs for multiple images.

I'm hoping someone could shed some light on the on board WiFi. I currently use an add in card (my ODE doesn't have on board WiFi) and i know that the ASUS X99 Rampage has on board WiFi, but nothing in the configurator indicates that it's enabled.

Does DS ship its systems with the on board WiFi working or is it necessary to purchase the add in card? And if the on board WiFi works, is it of decent quality?

Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 7:44am
The WIFI should be enables and ready to go.  It's built in.  You just need to plug in the included antennae to the rear ports when you set it up.

Can't answer the quality part, but my guess is that its very good. 
DarkSydeElement View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by BOTA:146

Thanks for the quick reply, bprat22.

I chose 64GB RAM because I do astrophotography and edit several large images at the same time. I have 16GB in my current system and often will run out of memory (VERY frustrating). It should also help with stacking programs for multiple images.

I'm hoping someone could shed some light on the on board WiFi. I currently use an add in card (my ODE doesn't have on board WiFi) and i know that the ASUS X99 Rampage has on board WiFi, but nothing in the configurator indicates that it's enabled.

Does DS ship its systems with the on board WiFi working or is it necessary to purchase the add in card? And if the on board WiFi works, is it of decent quality?

Thanks!

I have the ASUS X99. The wifi works on the board but is very lackluster at that. It does come with a extra Wifi Atenna that you plug in and as long as you set up above the back of the tower it works just fine. It kinda seems like the back of the tower or maybe the case I got kills half the wireless signal but once moved about it works fine.

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 12:33pm
Excellent!

Thanks, guys.

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:28am
Configuration Update:

After much research and reading many threads here, I've tweaked my configuration a bit, switching to the 7700K and Hailstorm II case, upgrading the SSD, and some other minor tweaks.

I hope to order within a month!

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (White) Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: Fan Blow-Holes: CPU & Graphics Card Area: Laser Cut and Mount (2x) Side Window Fans
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 3: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.0GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature + Windows Installation CD (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Total Price with Instant Savings: $5,684.00
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 3:30pm
If you're only going with the Hydrolux Lite, I would go for the Corsair Graphite 760T (the one they use in the Apollo) instead of the Obsidian 900D (the one they use in the Hailstorm II). In the 900D, the basement will be completely unused, except for the PSU. The 760T will be better "filled out" with components taking up more space in the case, so it doesn't look so barren. It will also be easier to fit into places around wherever you want to put your machine.

Furthermore, there is now no need for the DS Airflow Control Board. All of that functionality has been incorporated into modern motherboards and can be controlled through the BIOS.

Here is what I'd suggest:

Digital Storm Hailstorm II (Config # 1590939)

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Apollo (Black)

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (VR Ready)

Digital Storm Engineering

Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 3: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.0GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Software
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature (Restore Windows + Drivers) (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care

If you want a look closer to the 900D, the Corsair Obsidian 450D (they call it the Coridium) is also available. However, the reservoir sticks down from the radiator, which will be mounted on the top, and that would interfere with the DVD drive. So that is an option, just don't expect to be able to have an optical drive then.

Edited by  - 19 Jan 2017 at 3:33pm

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:20pm
Thanks for the input. I also see that the Hailstorm case requires freight delivery, which is a negative.

I'm not as concerned about the look of the interior of the case as I am good airflow.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:58am
Whichever way, with a water system that covers the CPU and all GPU's, the radiator will be on the side of the case with fans on it, giving it excellent air flow. You pretty much can't go wrong.

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 1:47pm
Woo hoo!!!!!!

Congratulations once again, the status of your amazing new Digital Storm system has been updated!

Stage 2: (Inventory Assignment)
A special component bin has been assigned for your order. We then locate components from our inventory and place them inside your component bin. If any components are out of stock, we are then waiting for them to be delivered to our storage center. Once all of the hardware is inside

My final config:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E ASUS PCE-AC68 (Supports 802.11ac)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Chassis Mods: Fan Blow-Holes: CPU & Graphics Card Area: Laser Cut and Mount (2x) Side Window Fans
CPU Boost: Stage 3: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.0GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 11:36pm
Oh. nice! Congrats!

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 4:43pm
Ok, I'm officially in heart palpitations phase.

For a 45 year old retired guy, I feel like a kid.

Dear Adam Spinelli,

Congratulations once again, the status of your amazing new Digital Storm system has been updated!

Stage 3: (Phase 1 Integration)
Your order is now placed into one of our specialized test benches. The installation of the operating system, drivers and any applications that are specific to the system you ordered are completed here. Our Digital Storm Integration Engineer will also install any demos, benchmark utilities, and burn-in software necessary to correctly monitor your systems performance throughout our burn-in process.
------

Estimated Shipment Date: 9-14 Business Days (Mon-Fri) from 1/23/2017
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 12:40am
AwesomeExcitedAhhh, the waiting.

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 1:52pm
Just today went stage 4. Hope this could mean shipping by the end of next week.
Lex17 View Drop Down

Quote Lex17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 3:12pm
Nice hoping mine goes into stage 4 next week.

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 11:25am
Getting closer!

Dear Adam Spinelli,

Stage 6: (Quality Assurance)
Your system is undergoing a very detailed quality control analysis. A Digital Storm Quality Inspector is tasked with inspecting your machine from missing screws, loose cards, checking for special requests, verifying the configuration, and double checking our stress-test results. Our Inspectors are trained with an eye for detail and ensure that every system leaves our facility with the art of perfection.
------

Estimated Shipment Date: 2-5 Business Days (Mon-Fri) from 2/15/2017
(Note: This is only an estimation. If problems are encountered during testing, we may have to hold your order for a few more days to ensure you receive a rock-solid stable problem free system.

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:39am
Oh, please in the name of all that is holy, let my beautiful baby be shipped today. And since I have overnight shipping, the stork shall deliver her tomorrow. Just in time for the weekend.

Dear Adam Spinelli,t

The status of your amazing new Digital Storm system has been updated!

Your order has successfully passed our stringent quality assurance process. Everything from top to bottom on your purchase has been verified by an experienced Digital Storm technician.

-------------------------------------------
Verified By: Daniel
-------------------------------------------

Estimated Shipment Date: Within 1 business day (Mon-Fri) from 2/16/2017
(Note: This is only an estimation. If problems are encountered during testing, we may have to hold your order for a few more days to ensure you receive a rock-solid stable problem free system.

Edited by BOTA:146 - 16 Feb 2017 at 8:40am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:42am
She's warming up......

Big%20Smile
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:50am
Fingers and toes crossed! ... good luck!

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 2:55pm
I'm going nuts. Probably won't ship today which means I probably won't get it until next week. At least I'm making good use of my time, testing out dome new controls for flight sims.

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:27pm
Apparently my computer has been done since 8:00 AM on Thursday (2/16) but hasn't been shipped. So I guess maybe some time next week.

That's pretty frustrating.

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 1:39pm
It's is getting annoying. What is the hold up on shipping?

Quote BOTA:146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:31pm
FINALLY just got my email that my computer shipped. Since I did overnight shipping, I should have it by tomorrow.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 1:45am
SWEET!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:00am
Check your front door.Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply