FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A little help for newbie - help with build

Post Date: 2017-04-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
computermongrel View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote computermongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A little help for newbie - help with build
    Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 11:56am
Hi everyone. To keep this brief I'm not a newbie to computers or builds, but I am to gaming rigs. I have a project putting together something for someone but seeing as I know little about gaming machine components I could use some help. He has a few non-negotiable items and the rest are up to me.

Budget:
High-end

Expectations:
Build rig build for client

Usage:
High-end gaming

Special Needs:
Choose high-end components compatible with what's been requested so far

Processor:
i7-7700K
(Does that need separate fan, or will the MB include it?)

GPU:
2 x 1070 Founders Eidtion (SLI)

Saved Ticket #: N/A

Specifications:
I need to find the following:

Case:
Something big enough to install components comfortably, well ventilated but not liquid cooled, aesthetically pleasing.

Motherboard:
Compatible with case/components. Ventilation/fans included.

RAM:
I'm thinking 2X8GB, if that makes sense

Power supply: (modular is easiest from my understanding)
Something 1000-1200W

SDD's (EVO 850's?):
1 for OS
1 for data

Other thoughts:
Have been looking into Slade. Would lose me a little money and work but it doesn't seem like bad idea given his requirements and budget.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by computermongrel - 17 Apr 2017 at 11:59am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 12:19pm
I'd recommend a 1080 Ti over two 1070's. This system is capable of a second 1080 Ti, if more GPU is needed. Also, if you're going all SSD for storage, just get one, which makes managing data easier, as you don't have to transfer data between the drives. I put a faster 1TB NVMe drive in (960 EVO).

Digital Storm Slade 2 (Config # 1648609)

Chassis
Chassis Model: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z270H GAMING (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 3: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.0GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)

Quote computermongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 12:45pm
I'd recommend a 1080 Ti over two 1070's. This system is capable of a second 1080 Ti, if more GPU is needed. Also, if you're going all SSD for storage, just get one, which makes managing data easier, as you don't have to transfer data between the drives. I put a faster 1TB NVMe drive in (960 EVO).
Thanks a lot @. So you're more inclined to go the Slade route?

Quote computermongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 12:54pm
I didn't even realize this forum was for company making the Slade.

Still helpful to get recommended specs for it from you guys!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 1:01pm
This forum is Digital Storm and the Slade is a Corsair 600q. DS builds their systems in a variety of cases, most being Corsair. They do have their own custom cases, like Aventum and Velox.   

I believe he picked the Slade do to your preference, but don't want to speak for him.. It is the quietest case here but is a bit more airflow restricted because of that.   The Slade is a nice case.   

Are you looking for a DS build to buy or help with building a rig on your own ?

What's the budget and monitor resolution?   The resolution determines your video card.

Quote computermongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by bprat22

This forum is Digital Storm and the Slade is a Corsair 600q. DS builds their systems in a variety of cases, most being Corsair. They do have their own custom cases, like Aventum and Velox.   

I believe he picked the Slade do to your preference, but don't want to speak for him.. It is the quietest case here but is a bit more airflow restricted because of that.   The Slade is a nice case.   

Are you looking for a DS build to buy or help with building a rig on your own ?

What's the budget and monitor resolution?   The resolution determines your video card.

I don't want to say the budget is unlimited, but he is someone who does tend to throw money around and loves his gaming. I believe he's set on the monitor front (not my responsibility for that). If you have something I could tell him about what he needs in one assuming he doesn't already have it I'd certainly appreciate it.

Did realize about the Slade case - thought you could only buy it prebuilt. Nice feature to have though since everything is 110% compatible and all components warrantied right?

I'd be doing the build myself. What I really need right now is a full list of good/compatible components I can throw together to present to him. Looks like @ already got me set with the Slade specs if I buy it from them. Now I just need the list to put together for the alternative non-Slade custom build. :)

Edited by computermongrel - 17 Apr 2017 at 1:13pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 1:25pm
If you want quiet, go with the Slade (Corsair 600Q).

If you want unique, get a Velox, Aventum 3, or wait for the upcoming Bolt X. Velox is an excellent steel tower that DS has made for them special a a Bay-area machine shop. The Aventum 3 is the same, but they are switching to aluminum construction (I have my suspicions that it will be made by Lian-Li...the push-pin system looks suspiciously similar to other Lian-Li offerings), and is an over-the-top case meant for water cooling the CPU and multiple GPU's. The Bolt X will probably be made by Lian-Li like the Bolt 3 (Bolt 3 is a slightly gussied up version of the Lian-Li PC-O5S) and is a smaller case for single-GPU configurations (no optical drive, though, if that is an issue)

Quote computermongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 2:12pm
Thanks @. No optical drive meaning no space for it?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 2:45pm
Correct, there is no cut-out and mount for it. There are external drives, though, so it can be mitigated.

http://www.digitalstorm.com/bolt-x.asp

Quote computermongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by 

Correct, there is no cut-out and mount for it. There are external drives, though, so it can be mitigated.

http://www.digitalstorm.com/bolt-x.asp
Gotcha. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply