Post Date: 2016-01-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Turbatus View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Almost time to order!! :D
    Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:06am
So, I made a post a while back, and got some responses... It's now just a couple days before I order and want to get some final feedback...

Again, this is for a hopefully "future-proof" gaming rig, dx12, virtuix omni, and VR headset... Without liquid cooling, which scares the hell out of me (So please don't try to make me believe otherwise....)

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)(I have read that dx12 will rely more on physical cores than anything else)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB SeagateWestern DigitalToshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Green) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory

So, other than upgrading the GPU (And eventually RAM and SSD/HDD) do you think I could get several good years out of this?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 2:34pm
Looks like a good build to me.

I personally wouldn't spend a boat load of extra money on the 5960x over the 5820, hoping dx12 makes use of the 8 cores in the rigs lifetime.   Lots of hype with dx12 and if the past is any indicator, dx12 will be years before it earns its reputation. As of now, it seems to hit a wall at 6 cores, but I can't predict the future.

If you plan on a single card or even sli, you could drop the psu to 1000 watts, but nothing wrong with extra.

Noctua d15 is a smart pick. Quiet, performs great and lasts forever. However, with you 8 core you might find DS saying water is needed, even the closed loops. I like Noctua the best, so try it.

Good luck.
Turbatus View Drop Down

Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Looks like a good build to me.

I personally wouldn't spend a boat load of extra money on the 5960x over the 5820, hoping dx12 makes use of the 8 cores in the rigs lifetime.   Lots of hype with dx12 and if the past is any indicator, dx12 will be years before it earns its reputation. As of now, it seems to hit a wall at 6 cores, but I can't predict the future.

If you plan on a single card or even sli, you could drop the psu to 1000 watts, but nothing wrong with extra.

Noctua d15 is a smart pick. Quiet, performs great and lasts forever. However, with you 8 core you might find DS saying water is needed, even the closed loops. I like Noctua the best, so try it.

Good luck.

I'm trying to rush in a lot of last minute reading, and it seems that no one can agree on whether or not the 5960x will be fully utilized, and if so, in what kind of time frame, but what I am finding is people agreeing it'll be a top tier cpu for at least 5 years... Can the same be said for the 5820, or 5930?

Thanks!
giants84 View Drop Down

Quote giants84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 4:24pm
For the price of the 5960x you can get another 980 ti and still have money left over, not worth it imo.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 4:40pm
Turbatus.. Nothing wrong with the 5960x and it's certainly a powerful chip, but for gaming it is more than is needed.   For the right apps, like heavy video rendering, numbers crunching, etc, it works.   Like giants84 said, the money is much better spent elsewhere. If money isn't an issue, then get the best. Everyone should get what they want.   We tend to balance money with performance on the forums.

Keep us updated.

Turbatus View Drop Down

Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 4:56pm
Well, right now I'm considering dropping to the 5930k, going for a titan X instead of the 980ti, lowering the psu to the hx1000i, and bumping the ssd from 250 to 500... Is that a little more value friendly, or?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 5:29pm
Roughly same price, but much better performance:

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1362649
Specifications:
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (EVGA HYBRID Edition) (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard LED Performance Fans (Green) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1362650
Specifications:
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (EVGA HYBRID Edition) (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
Chassis Fans: Standard LED Performance Fans (Green) (Up to 6 Fans)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Turbatus View Drop Down

Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 5:46pm
I do thank you for your time, but I do not want any kind of water cooling... But I am curious as to how they offer much better performance outside of being sli?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 8:37pm
You can then change the H110i GT to a Noctua cooler and the EVGA GPUs to ASUS Strix cards. You can also go back to the Corsair AF fans as you don't need higher static pressure without a radiator.

Water cooling will give you more consistent performance under long duration high load scenarios (such as gaming). Air coolers will have heat soak in the fins and lose effectiveness...not complete lose of effectiveness, but enough to potentially cause the processing unit it is cooling to need to throttle back. This is especially the case with overclocked processors (or non-overclocked CPUs on motherboards that have multi-core enhancement that will run all of the cores at the Turbo boost clock rates); these are beyond the specifications that the manufacturer gives for them and they use more power consequently.
Turbatus View Drop Down

Quote Turbatus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 10:14pm
Alright! I've done some more tweaking!!

Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition) (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Green) (Up to 6 Fans)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Lowered the CPU, kept the 980ti, upgraded the RAM... Kept the 1200 watt psu because who knows what pascal may require, and again, really wanting to be "future-proof" for at least a good 7 years with nothing more than minor(gpu) upgrades, and maybe another SSD/HDD... Think it's good to go for that?

Also debating on storage situation... I know I want the OS on an SSD, and of course my games... This laptop I've had 4 years has 19.3 GB/213 GB free, and 589/931 GB free... And I'm tired of moving games around, so I'm torn between 1gb ssd as #1 and 1tb HDD as #2, 250gb as #1 1tb ssd as #2, or what... Thoughts?

and mr [][], I understand what you're saying, but too many friends, and online horror stories have had bad run ins with liquid... Not a gamble I wish to take, sorry, and thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply