FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Apollo configuration

Post Date: 2016-07-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snow View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Apollo configuration
    Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 5:27pm
Howdy folks. I've been poking around various pc builders for sometime now and have settled on DS. I'm looking to place an order within the next week.

I've been thinking somewhere in the 2500 to 3000 dollar ballpark.

This will be primarily for games. Single monitor (will be replacing this one in the future). No video editing. I don't foresee moving to  SLI.

Some few foolish questions below:

Simply out of lack of any knowledge, I went with the default configuration's cooling and power supply and motherboard. Adequate?  I see there's a Corsair H100GTX 240mm cooler available for 30 bucks extra. Is it that much better than the default?

Additionally I went with the  512GB Samsung 950 PRO) as the primary SSD. How is that comparable to say 850? Would that be better money spent elsewhere in the configuration? I'd rather not drop down to 256gig. The 1 terabyte is tempting though presumably does not perform as well as the 950 pro).

Any guesses as how would the noise be in such a configuration? The Apollo's default case seems to be decent as far as room and airflow. (Yeah there is the Slade but unless I'm mistaken, it seems to be a bit of a compromise in the airflow / size area). I See that DS offers a "quiet package" but not sure if its really worth it.

I see I can bump up the memory to 2800 for a small bump in price. Also it seems Corsair's memory is more expensive than the comparable DS memory.  (Better? just paying for the brand name?)

Thanks so much for taking any time to look this over. It's much appreciated.

Here's the configurator id of the configuration below. 1448544

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 B1)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (EVGA SC ACX 3.0) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Raille View Drop Down

Quote Raille Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 6:33pm
950 pro is better. Your build is pretty close to what I almost went with instead of the Hailstorm.

Additional cooling shouldn't be necessary if you are not going for 4k resolutions or doing intensive graphics design.

I'm unsure of the noise, but I imagine it would be minimal.

The amount of memory you have is fine it's a decent brand and I'd only change it if you really want the Corsair brand.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 7:47pm
if you want slightly better cooling go with either the H110i or H115i.  they're both 280mm radiator designs.  the H100 GTX is just the newer model of the H100i, but no real performance difference.  if you really want to make a difference go with a Hydrolux config.  

as for the ram, DS is currently using ADATA ram for their generic builds.  i have no clue which line/model, but it's probably safe to say that it isn't their premium overclocking line (XPG Z1).  my personal leanings would be towards Corsair.  don't worry about the speed bump it won't improve your gaming.

the 950 Pro ssd is a pcie (so faster than SATA) drive and the 850 is SATA.  that being said, unless you have to have the bleeding edge fastest tech you're probably not going to notice/appreciate the difference (especially in games).   

putting a "quiet package" in any windowed case is counter productive.  skip it with the Apollo.  

Edited by db188 - 06 Jul 2016 at 8:05pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 3:32am
I would change your cooling to noctua but keep in mind most of your noise is gonna come from the gpu's fans when under load, they are more quiet then their little counter parts with the acx fans but they are still the loudest on the system.

the 950 is the fastest drive out right now for your use, but IMHO its more of a luxury item unless you actually have use for that kind of speeds, things will boot up faster and etc but if you have to stretch the budget for a 950 then don't, These m.2 drives are new on the market and carry the price tag, in a year or two things will be different at they are now with sata ssds.

So if budget is tight, go with 850 and then upgrade toa m.2 drive in a year or two if you want, we can just move your os and everything in one shot so you don't have to reinstall a thing when you upgrade.

For ram db188 covered it, I too prefer corsair. right now in ram, higher speed = slower timings, and timing matters more.

Forget a quiet package and etc, if you truly want a quiet pc you have to customize it from head to toe, all parts have to LCed, then you have to get rads that work with low cfm fans, all of those are custom parts and cost $$$$. Also when you block noise properly then you block airflow, and I never block airflow, my system/parts will hate me for it and literally make me pay for it.
snow View Drop Down

Quote snow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 3:24pm
Thank you for the responses. I've been side tracked the past week but I've been doing some googling.

Of the 240/280mm corsair aio systems offered and the Noctua air cooler, which is the better, regardless of the price. Googling turns up people championing both.

Got to admit, for aesthetics, the corsairs look nicer in the apollo case, though the the overriding factor, but if the Noctua is better and more quiet, that's worth it too. Though not super concerned about noise as long as its not abrasive.  (heck I run a box fan here in the bedroom 24/7 because i need some ambient low level noise because of tinnitus).

I could swap out the stock fans of the corsair with something quieter if they are too noisy. From what I've read other than load, the AIO's are reasonably quiet (guess that's subjective though)

Also, I see that DS' configurator indicates that the Noctua and the corsair dominator RAM have issues competing for room. I'd have to downgrade to the DS memory but I'm guessing in the grand scheme of things that's not a big issue.

Regarding the Noctua, from what I've read it comes in different configurations / number of fans. Any idea how DS installs them? single/double/triple fan?

Lastly based on your suggestions, I'd forego the 950 SSD and go either with the 500 or 512g 850.

BTW 750 PSU okay or perhaps the 850? Again don't think I'd SLI but its always in the back of my mind a bit "someday"

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 8:31pm
The AIO water coolers like the Corsair units will perform better than the Noctua. You can also turn the fans down, so they'd be quieter, but you'll also have the pump noise in addition. The Noctua is an excellent air cooler and will never fail because of a pump malfunction (but those are fairly rare). If you want to push a high overclock, you should definitely opt for the AIO. If you want something that can be absolutely silent (no pump, no fans) at low loads, the Noctua may be the way to go.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by snow

Thank you for the responses. I've been side tracked the past week but I've been doing some googling.Of the 240/280mm corsair aio systems offered and the Noctua air cooler, which is the better, regardless of the price. Googling turns up people championing both.Got to admit, for aesthetics, the corsairs look nicer in the apollo case, though the the overriding factor, but if the Noctua is better and more quiet, that's worth it too. Though not super concerned about noise as long as its not abrasive.  (heck I run a box fan here in the bedroom 24/7 because i need some ambient low level noise because of tinnitus).I could swap out the stock fans of the corsair with something quieter if they are too noisy. From what I've read other than load, the AIO's are reasonably quiet (guess that's subjective though)Also, I see that DS' configurator indicates that the Noctua and the corsair dominator RAM have issues competing for room. I'd have to downgrade to the DS memory but I'm guessing in the grand scheme of things that's not a big issue.Regarding the Noctua, from what I've read it comes in different configurations / number of fans. Any idea how DS installs them? single/double/triple fan?Lastly based on your suggestions, I'd forego the 950 SSD and go either with the 500 or 512g 850.BTW 750 PSU okay or perhaps the 850? Again don't think I'd SLI but its always in the back of my mind a bit "someday"

Noctua will give you the same results as the aio systems but unlike them you don't have to worry about leaks and pump failure. I don't recommend based on price I recommend based on perfomrance.

Aio can get loud with higher temps, if you turn the fan down then the temps will go up.

Ram is all the same you would not be downgrading ram.

Your noctua will come with 2 fans you can go triple if want, but not needed.

the 950 pro is an m.2 drive which is much faster than the 850 which is why I recommended it but if you want to go with 850 that is fine.

If you want to sli safe bet is 1000w psu with oc on cpu, but you could get away with a 850w with no oc on cpu for sli, non sli a good 750w is all you need.
 Post Reply Post Reply