FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aura Config for Artist and Gamer

Post Date: 2017-01-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Stoneseeker View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Stoneseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Aura Config for Artist and Gamer
    Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 3:15pm
Budget:
$4000 CAD

Expectations:
Reliable, user upgradeable lasting system that can keep up with my work and play demands. Relatively accurate color gamut on screen.

Usage:
Gaming
Work:
-large file complex painting in photoshop
-Animating in Flash or Toonboom
-Editing in After Effects
-Surfing, watching movies, email etc.

Special Needs:
Future Proof is important to me. Also need to be able to hook up a Wacom Cintiq drawing tablet to this rig, but pretty sure every desktop is capable of that provided there is a HDMI and usb port.

Specifications:
TICKET #: 1595958

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm Aura
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 450W (80 Plus Gold Rated) (Supports up to GTX 1080)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: SSD - 480GB Digital Storm Performance Series
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature + Windows Installation CD (Partition up to 50GB of Storage) <br><strong></strong>
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: Custom Color Calibration Monitor Profile By Professional Sensor Tool
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

--------------------------------------------

Looking for feedback on my configuration and choice of system before I hit the buy button.
I figure since the Aura includes a very high quality 4K curved display AND is user uprgadeable, the high price might be justified for my uses. Its not going to be dead in the water and obsolete 5 years from now like most AIO's since I can swap out parts and that is important to my decision.

I decided to opt for the cheaper 480GB SSD default over the Samsung 256GB (which costs more somehow) and didn't bother including a second storage option since I can easily purchase a 1 or 2TB western digital spinning platter down the road for more storage way cheaper. Any feedback on that SSD? Is it reliable? I know most people prefer Samsung for their speed and reliability, but the price and size of the default one is much more tempting to me.

If I add my own spinning platter later on is it easy enough to put in RAID with the existing SSD? Does it even matter?

Any insight on my purchase is much appreciated! Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 3:37pm
Hi Stoneseeker.... The Aura doesn't have a 4K display.   It's a Ultra- wide 1440p, and the difference is noticeable.     

The reason for the SSD pricing, is the DS branded drive can be any of a few brands and it's warranty is as long as the system warranty, 2 year parts with promo unless you opt for extended warrant.    The Samsung 850 pro has, last I looked, a 10 year warranty and has an excellent reputation. Not that the DS one is bad, it will be a brand name.   

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Jan 2017 at 3:41pm

Quote Stoneseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Stoneseeker.... The Aura doesn't have a 4K display.   It's a Ultra- wide 1440p, and the difference is noticeable.     

The reason for the SSD pricing, is the DS branded drive can be any of a few brands and it's warranty is as long as the system warranty, 2 year parts with promo unless you opt for extended warrant.    The Samsung 850 pro has, last I looked, a 10 year warranty and has an excellent reputation. Not that the DS one is bad, it will be a brand name.   

thanks @bprat22!

Oh man, I thought for sure a 34" screen at that price was 4K. I should have looked closer! That kind of makes a difference, and the color gamut and contrast are a little lackluster as well compared, to say, the 34" HP envy A051... But the power and upgradeable features of this system make it so tempting in contrast to every AIO out there!

Thanks for the deets on the SSD. Sounds like I would still stick with my choice on that at least.

back to doing more research... sigh.

Other AIO's I'm considering:

Microsoft Studio

MSI Gaming AIO 24GE 2QE 4K-004US

HP Envy Curved 34-A051 Signature Edition

...   none of these are user upgradeable. But the price on the last 2 are much lower and easier to get, whereas the Studio is more $ but less powerful however is the only one that has built in pen support (the pen is Ntrig which I can live with, but would prefer Wacom)

Quote Stoneseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 12:15am
Aha! Found another contender that is very tempting, especially since the price is considerably lower... Lenovo Ideacentre AIO Y910 27"

-User upgradeable (not motherboard and CPU like the Aura tho)
-Same resolution, but a smaller 27" display
-Mostly same spec options... 64 gigs RAM, i7 7600, GTX 1080 etc.
-A bit cheaper (if I was in the US, a LOT cheaper)

Tempting. Though the larger curved display of the Aura is still tempting, as well it seems more upgradeable, so maybe more future proof in that I can also replace the CPU and motherboard if had to.

Ugh. Is $4000 too much to spend on a AiO? Its for work so it will eventually pay itself off. I'm torn.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 2:26am
Do you need an AIO ?   As sexy as they might be, you can't beat the upgradable, cooling, parts options and pricing of a desktop, like an Apollo level 2 or example.   

Big problem with AIO is that the screen is tied to the pc, meaning if one dies you're screwed, plus your choice of screens rises dramatically with desktop. For a smaller footprint, the Bolt fits but it is a little harder to work on, being so tight.

Just thoughts from a guy that has configured hundreds of builds for lucky DS customers getting one of their rigs.

Edited by bprat22 - 27 Jan 2017 at 2:33am

Quote Stoneseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 10:01am
Originally posted by bprat22

Do you need an AIO ?   As sexy as they might be, you can't beat the upgradable, cooling, parts options and pricing of a desktop, like an Apollo level 2 or example.   

Big problem with AIO is that the screen is tied to the pc, meaning if one dies you're screwed, plus your choice of screens rises dramatically with desktop. For a smaller footprint, the Bolt fits but it is a little harder to work on, being so tight.

Just thoughts from a guy that has configured hundreds of builds for lucky DS customers getting one of their rigs.

I appreciate the question, its what I've been asking myself this whole time as I obsessively search forums for info on this thing and the other AiO's... seems few people are springing for these.

The sexy factor (space factor) weighs heavily on the decision especially for my wife who hates the idea of a large glowing box on the floor with cables running everywhere in our small-ish rental flat. Originally I was drawn to the AiO when I realized they were gaining in power and resolution and I got excited that they had become a more viable option. But if I'm gonna drop serious cash on one, it has to be able to do serious work for me and be an investment, which is how I landed here.

About the screen dying... whats the deal with that if it happens outside warranty zone? Would it be super expensive to send it in to get replaced? Also, I guess all the innards would come out easily enough in that instance so I could still throw the parts in a tower and continue to use them or sell them off on ebay... in a pinch use HDMI out to another screen too.

As an aside, Origin has the Omni and it looks IDENTICAL to the aura, down to the same chassis and webcam and stand, just more expensive. In fact so did the (now sold out) Maingear Alpha 34, once again indistinguishable from the Aura. Can anyone explain why this is? Are all these companies essentially buying the chassis from the same manufacturer and just making variants of the same unit made available or are all the computer custom boutique companies owned by one larger umbrella company??
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 11:11am
I believe, and don't hold me to it, that most of the reputable  builders are using the same chassis, just their own fingerprints on it.    The ODM, original design manufacturer, is Loop.  

I'm not sure how expensive or the availability, etc a new screen would be.  That is something I would definitely want to know before plunking down some serious cash.

Just me, and I do understand space, cable neatness, etc, but I would get a  mid tower.  The Corsiar 400Q under case selection is a closed case with no light show and very quiet.  Put in on a desk and the wires vanish. 

Tough decisions.  

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 1:12pm
If space is a concern, I would recommend you check out the forums on smallformfactor.net to give you ideas on how small you can go (for instance, I have a computer where you could pack the hardware you spec'd in the OP into the size of roughly an XBOX One S). DS used to carry an SFF case with the Eclipse (and the earlier Bolt's would be considered SFF), but they've decidedly gone to larger cases, as that is what they say their clientele are wanting.

The Aura (and all of the competitors offerings of this chassis) are based on the Loop System LP3400. The differences are: one or two have a window in the back so you can view the internal components; and post-purchase service and support.

Edited by  - 27 Jan 2017 at 1:17pm

Quote Stoneseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by 

If space is a concern, I would recommend you check out the forums on smallformfactor.net to give you ideas on how small you can go (for instance, I have a computer where you could pack the hardware you spec'd in the OP into the size of roughly an XBOX One S). DS used to carry an SFF case with the Eclipse (and the earlier Bolt's would be considered SFF), but they've decidedly gone to larger cases, as that is what they say their clientele are wanting.

The Aura (and all of the competitors offerings of this chassis) are based on the Loop System LP3400. The differences are: one or two have a window in the back so you can view the internal components; and post-purchase service and support.

Thanks for the forum link! Looks like a cool community. I have to admit its a little more intimidating with a lot more DIY stuff going on there than I am comfortable with at this point (no tool shop or fabrication tools at my disposal) even the idea of building my own tower is pretty daunting.

So I decided to see how much the same system as the configed Aura (roughly) would cost me if I were to build my own including equivalent 34" curved display... ca. pcpartpicker. com/list/H2fLf8   --remove spaces

It all came out to a little under $3000 CAD before taxes (So $3300). So compared to the estimated $3900 after tax that the Aura is going to put me back I would save $600 at the cost of my time (and possible failure) building a micro ATX tower. As well I would of course be sacrificing the sexyness space saving factor of all enclosed system with no wires etc. The bonus of that route beyond saving money is I get to pick the screen more carefully for better color gamut etc, and of course I am not tied to the screen in the future.   

The amount of spare time I have in my life to build a system for the first time is not really there, so I would have to factor in $$ getting someone to build it for me as well. So is the future flexibility and $600 savings worth the sacrifice to aesthetics and convenience?

I'm feeling myself sliding slowly to the side of no. But I need to mull it over. I wish there was some kind of sale or something to push me over the edge to a decision, something that would really seal the deal, but at this point the Aura and the cheaper Lenovo AiO are battling it out for my wallet.

thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys. Have there been any negative reviews or concerns on the forums here about the Aura? I have only found 2 reviews on the forum and they sung its praises.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Stoneseeker

Thanks for the forum link! Looks like a cool community. I have to admit its a little more intimidating with a lot more DIY stuff going on there than I am comfortable with at this point (no tool shop or fabrication tools at my disposal) even the idea of building my own tower is pretty daunting.

That's precisely why I wish a boutique manufacturer would use these new SFF cases. The guys that make these cases only occasionally will build systems for people, but they are all small outfits and can only do so much. A company like DS could take their well designed cases, configure excellent systems in them, sell them, and provide support that those guys can't do with their limited capability. Cases I'm thinking of:

NFC Systems S4 Mini (Mississippi)
Dan Cases A4-SFX (German, manufactured by Lian Li with custom 3M riser)
DR ZĄBER Sentry (Polish)
Kimera Industries Cerberus and Cerberus-X (US, manufactured by Sliger Designs)
NCASE M1 (Manufactured by Lian Li)

Edited by  - 27 Jan 2017 at 2:58pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 3:07pm
Interesting designs, I'll share with our team.
 Post Reply Post Reply