FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt 3 Noise levels?

Post Date: 2015-11-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bagelbagel View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bagelbagel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt 3 Noise levels?
    Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:11pm
I just received my Bolt 3 desktop and I'm really enjoying it so far.

My only question is in regards to the volume level of the desktop itself.

When I first powered it on it was very loud, but that's because the fans were automatically set to "extreme mode". I changed that and the system got a lot quieter.

That being said, I spent a lot of money on this computer and I wanted to make sure that nothing is wrong with it. Even on "quiet mode", the PC is still sort of noisy.

The best way I can describe the sound is that it is a very low pitched humming/buzzing.
It doesn't sound like anything is clanking around in there, but it does sound a bit like buzzing, so I'm just nervous that something is wrong internally.

Honestly, I assume it's fine- but I worry about things and I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong. Does anyone with a Bolt 3 know what I'm talking about? Is this a normal sound?
MikeMulligan View Drop Down

Quote MikeMulligan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 7:41pm
I'm having the same experience with my Bolt 3. Some of the noise comes from the fans (especially on extreme mode) and some comes from the pumping mechanism. Oddly enough I've found that setting the case lighting to Thermal Mode made the pumping noise quieter. Couldn't tell you why.

I talked to a tech with Digital Storm and he said that he normally plays with it set to extreme mode. I can't imagine using it that way since the fan noise is ridiculously loud. Using it on auto mode is good for the first 30 minutes, but the cooling system ramps up after that and the fan noise gets a bit louder, but not nearly as loud as extreme mode. The auto mode seems to target 65 degrees and I'd like to be able to adjust that a bit more too, but the software doesn't have that feature.

Like you, I'm happy with the performance of the system, but my last computer was whisper quiet compared to this one. I'm considering looking for quieter fans to replace the ones that came with it and also putting the computer in a more open area. Let me know if you find any kind of solution to making the system quieter.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 5:29am
If you have our control board and software package, you should be able to make the unit very quiet. All you need to do is calibrate it. Please refer to this guide:

http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/control-software-how-to-calibrate-fans-tidf27629-pidf292371/

If you do not have the control board and software package, you should be able to slow the fans down via the BIOS. Our team can assist, it's basically adjusting chassis fan options to QUIET.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 7:57am
Nice, Alex.  A guide to follow.  Strong

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Feb 2016 at 8:55am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 8:17am

Quote MikeMulligan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 1:10pm
Thanks Alex. I'll read through that.

It turns out that other PC builders are getting a lot of noise from the Corsair H100i cooling unit. This is the unit that is at the top of the Bolt 3. The problem is the two fans mounted underneath. There's a video of a guy replacing these fans with quieter ones.

Search YouTube for "Corsair H100i loud fan noise sound and fix". (We can't post links in this forum)

I've purchased two of the fans and will try replacing them next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 4:56pm
For the H100i, make sure the fans are not connected through the pump unit on top of the CPU. You will have to interact with the fan controls through the Corsair Link software, which isn't that great, and the range of operation is limited. You want the fans to be connected to the motherboard with the fan controls in the BIOS or with a program that came with the motherboard to access them on your desktop.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 1:51am
I highly recommend all BOLT 3 customers purchase our control board and software.

Quote MikeMulligan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 7:39am
I've been using the HydroLux software and it's worked fine for the basics. The feature I'm lacking is a way to configure the target temperature for auto mode. The fans ramp up correctly, but I'd prefer they ramp up more aggressively/sooner.

The closest I can get is setting Quiet mode, then manually adjusting the fan controls in HydroLux. It doesn't scale with the heat, but you can find a better noise/heat balance.

Quote MikeMulligan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 6:37pm
Put in the new fans and it's a vast improvement. However, the system will never be as quiet as my old computer. The only moving parts in the old one were the CPU fan and an 80mm fan in the back. Virtually silent.

The other issue I'll probably never be able to resolve is the case rattle. As it heats up, the metal case expands makes a vibrating sound against the acrylic. This requires that I loosen the knobs on that side until it readjusts and tighten them back up. Maybe rubber washers would help.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:07am
MikeMulligan,

I'd give the rubber washers a shot, I've had good luck with that issue on some people's desktops in the past (for reference not the Bolt 3 or a DS rig, but the concept is the same).
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:58am
My ODE,  Corsair 600T, for the first few months would make what sounded like a static or electrical noise when it started to heat up.  I looked around the insides and didn't smell anything, so looked elsewhere.  Turned out to be the top cover fan grate was the culprit, and pushing on  it with my finger made is all better.  The noise eventually just went away for good. 
Atlas View Drop Down

Quote Atlas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 10:17am
My Bolt 3 has the Scythe Shuriken fan and it stays pretty quiet. I do not get any case noise so far.
Bolt III
IvarForkBeard View Drop Down

Quote IvarForkBeard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2016 at 9:15am
I noticed this too and part of the issue I think is resonance between the case and the little metal stand. I eliminated metal to metal/metal to glass contact in the front of the case alone and it helped.
 Post Reply Post Reply