FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build for long-term (7+ years) upgradeability?

Post Date: 2017-03-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Harlequin115 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Harlequin115 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Build for long-term (7+ years) upgradeability?
    Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 6:52pm
Budget:
~$7,000.00

Expectations:
In the short term, I'm looking for a PC that can run Star Citizen maxed out at 3840x2160. More importantly, I'm looking for a setup that I can keep going as long as possible with minor upgrades (RAM, GPU). I've previously built my own PCs, albeit only air-cooled or with self-contained liquid-cooled CPUs. Basically, I can do a motherboard and/or CPU swap, but I'm not so comfortable that I want to do them often!

My current build is in a Lian Li X2000FN case, which is absolutely gorgeous, but surprisingly cramped in certain spaces, and it's nearly impossible to fit in liquid cooling. One of the things that has me most intrigued about the Aventum is what looks like copious interior space and relatively easily-upgraded custom liquid cooling. If anyone has experience with adding components to the Aventum, I'd love to hear about it!

Most of my current build (sadly in trouble after nearly six years of service due to motherboard issues) probably won't help, but I did recently add a GTX 1080 Turbo, so I'll be hoping to port that over to this new build, along with a couple of SSD drives.

Usage:
As mentioned above, I want this for Star Citizen and other 4K gaming. In future I may be looking at an Occulus Rift or other VR, but don't have anything like that for now. I'll also be using this for work and research, which can involve using Stata and R with some large datasets.

Special Needs:
As mentioned above, I'll be hoping to upgrade this in future, but I don't have experience with custom liquid loops. From looking around, it looks like the Aventum 3's water block and quick connect ports could help me out there when the time comes to upgrade. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on whether that's an accurate reading I'm making, and on the pros and cons of the various types of tubing on offer (flexible v. hardline v. copper).

Thanks for all your help!

Saved Ticket #: 1624763

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Aventum 3 (ETA End of March)
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 6950X 3.0GHz (10-Core) (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A II (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W EVGA 1000 GQ
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Fluid Color: White Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (White) Fans <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard) <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature (Restore Windows + Drivers) (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
vnrenshi View Drop Down

Quote vnrenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:17pm
processor seems pretty overkill tbh, considering that intel will no doubt be launching their new line of skylake x processors within the next year.

personally, i'd save the money and go with a 6800 or 6850k if you really feel the need for more than 4 cores.

right now your bottlenecks for 4k refresh rates will lie in your GPU, not your CPU. Unless you're doing professional level rendering and production work as your livelihood, you're basically wasting 1362 bucks that you could spend on a pair of GTX1080 ti's that would melt any game in 4k.

you'll see significantly better processors than the 6950 for significantly less money before any AAA game will truly benefit noticeably from more than 6 cores.

Quote Harlequin115 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:37pm
Thanks, vnrenshi, for your advice!

I was thinking the same re: the processor being overkill. But I wanted the full 40 lanes (so not the 6800), and I believe Stata will use as many cores as you can throw at it, so I did see a bit of an upside for work there. That, and I really don't want to be having to upgrade the processor for a few years at least. I'll definitely think your recommendation over though.

As I mentioned, I already have one 1080 on hand, so this will have two from the beginning -- do you still think I'll be bottlenecked if I don't hold out for the TIs?
vnrenshi View Drop Down

Quote vnrenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 6:23am
I wasn't saying your SLI would bottleneck, I was just saying that in general, the GPU is more important than the CPU in terms of frame rates during heavy gaming loads. That's less true for some games than others, but the vast majority of titles currently available and on the horizon really bias towards single-core performance.

if you want a full 40 lanes, go for the 6850k, you're still saving 1300 bucks that you can use to upgrade your system memory (i.e. corsair dominator 32gb package), your PSU, or spend on some nice new peripherals
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 12:09pm
1) For the 1080 Turbo, EK does not make a full cover water block for it. You could still use it with a universal block that covers only the GPU, but you'll need to make sure you have finned heat sinks with air flow over the VRMs and memory to cool them.

2) You don't get quick disconnect fittings with the hardline set-up. Only in the flexible tubing do you get them.

3) There is an RGB header on the motherboard and the fan headers are PWM and aplenty. I'd consider just using the motherboard to control the RGB and fans.

Quote Harlequin115 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 4:00pm
Thank you both so much for your help!

Vnrenshi, your recommendation of the 6850k or 6900k makes a lot of sense. I was considering the extra cores more for statistical modelling than games, but the 6950X is probably still overkill. I'll discuss the Stata/MP benefits with a friend of mine, but I'm definitely leaning more in your direction now, and thinking of the 6900 as a nice middle ground.

To my other benefactor (I'm afraid your profile name isn't showing up for me!), this is really the advice I'm looking for here. I'll definitely be switching to flexible tubing based on your advice. Regarding the GPU waterblock, do you think it would be possible to get water cooling on the single GTX 1080 included in the order, and still fit in the 1080 Turbo using its own air cooling? As I mentioned, I don't have experience with custom water cooling, so this is all new to me. My apologies if some of my questions seem ridiculous. Your help is hugely appreciated!

Finally, thanks also for your response re: the RGB header. I assume you're talking about the "Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board and Software" and the "RGB Lighting System" in my build? I think those were just defaults in the initial build I grabbed, and I left them alone. I appreciate your advice -- do you think they'll cause a conflict with something, or are you just thinking they're an unnecessary expense?

As an aside, I really appreciate your Bolt II review -- especially your discussion of your interactions with DS tech support. I'm not in college anymore, so I don't expect I'll have the time to do hours of research if I screw up my rig in future. DS's tech support (and the forums!) were a major factor in helping me narrow my options for a boutique builder, and it's nice to see user reviews like yours that suggest it's worth it!

Again, thanks so much for your advice.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 7:03pm
To add another GPU to a water cooled system wouldn't be the easiest of things. You'll have to remove the cooler that is on your GPU, apply thermal paste and attach the universal block, and then apply finned heat sinks (probably "pin fin" would be best for you) to the memory chips and VRMs with adhesive thermal pads. You'd probably place it in the upper slot (board is reversed from normal, so lower slot if looking at it right side up) which should put it in the path of the down draft from the radiator on top in addition to the airflow coming from the front. You then will need to partially drain the water loop to be able to remove the return tube from the GPU and install your other GPU in the loop. You will either want to change out the terminals on the water blocks to install a bridge terminal, or just install a couple tubes with G1/4" fittings to connect both into the loop. You'd then add the SLI HB bridge, refill your loop, and get the computer going again.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying this, but it is a bit of effort that you should be aware of.

If you want a simpler path, I'd recommend just getting two GTX 1080Ti cards and let DS do all of the work. I put two such builds below.

As for the processor, if you are capable of fully utilizing all of the threads a processor has to offer, you could benefit from a 6950X, especially if that means you can do more in less time for your work, making it worth the expense.

If you aren't subject to high memory bandwidth requirements, you could consider opting for the new AMD Ryzen processor for a good deal less. It does have two less cores than the 6950X, but can get a little bit higher clock speeds (roughly equivalent number of Instructions-per-clock). It does only have two memory channels, instead of the 6950X's four, but that is more than enough bandwidth for gaming, at least. There will also only be x8 connections to the GPUs, instead of full x16, so if you have critical needs for CPU-GPU communication where you can saturate that link, that would also be something to consider, but again, as far as gaming is concerned, it's a non-issue. High points for the AMD system are that performance will improve over time as the BIOS gets fleshed out (right now there's an issue with poor memory performance holding these processors back; you'll want to upgrade your memory down the road to take advantage of new BIOS' and allow for better CPU performance). Also, the platform has more greater longevity...AMD has said this platform will be used through 2020; X99 will be obsolete in the second half of this year to X299, as Intel changes the platform regularly around every three years.

Config # 1625370
Chassis
Chassis Model: Aventum 3 (ETA End of March)

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 6950X 3.0GHz (10-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A II (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Storage / Connectivity

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX - Latest GeneraTIon NVIDIA Graphics Card)

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)

HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: White Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)

Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (White) Fans

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)

Config # 1625371
Chassis

Core Components
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X (8-Core) 3.6 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (AMD X370 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Storage / Connectivity

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX - Latest GeneraTIon NVIDIA Graphics Card)

Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)

HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)

Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software

Quote Harlequin115 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:33pm
Thank you so much for all of this advice -- I really appreciate that you took the time! I think you're right that adding another GPU myself isn't something I'm ready for right now (although I hope to be up for that at some point in the future!), so you've convinced me to leave it in more-than-capable hands at DS.

Thanks so much for putting together your recommended builds -- that's incredibly kind of you. I may take a week or two to look more carefully into the Ryzen. I've been skittish about it because some of the early reviews I read suggested it had weirdly inconsistent results in some benchmarks. But your point on BIOS updates likely smoothing out those issues is well-taken, and I also agree that the longevity of the chipset does matter to me a lot.

You've given me quite a bit to think over, and I really appreciate it. Right now I'm leaning into your X99-based build, but I'll probably hold off until the weekend or middle of next week to bite the bullet/see if anything new pops up with regard to Ryzen.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 2:29pm
I forgot to ask about ECC needs. The Ryzen chips support it, but is dependent on motherboard support and validation. A number of applications still need to be made compatible with Ryzen, but it'll come. Here are some early benchmarks for HPC applications. I should also note that if you have heavy high precision vector computations, Ryzen's architecture would be at a disadvantage there, as they traded off vector compute units for reduced die space.

Here's some drool-worthy information of AMD's upcoming server chip: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/amd-naples-server-processor-more-cores-bandwidth-memory-than-intel/ Not sure if there will be any workstation motherboards for it, but it surely a very capable processor.

If you wanted ECC on Intel, you'll want a Xeon processor. DS has the Aventum 3 Pro with the Xeon processors. You can also get ECC on the GPUs with Nvidia Quadro, but expect the cost to go way up. The GP100 are the most powerful GPU's on the market, but they go for $7k each. The P6000 are slightly up-spec'ed versions of the Titan X with a no disabled parts of the die and double the VRAM, but costs $5k each.

Here is a list of Intel Xeon server CPUs that support ECC. If you have NUMA-enabled software, you could take advantage of having multiple processors, too.

They don't have the GTX 1080 Ti cards in the configurator in the Pro, but 2 should run just a few hundred more than a single Titan X.

Config # 1626354
Chassis

Core Components
Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2687W v4 (12-Core) 3.0GHz (9.6 QPI) (30MB Cache) (2400MHz Memory Max Speed)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Workstation Class) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400MHz (ECC Registered) (8GB x 4)

Storage / Connectivity

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Pascal) (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)

Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software

Edited by  - 07 Mar 2017 at 2:32pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 2:56pm
The configurator on Desktops has a card which appears to be the 1080Ti in disguise and although I don't see it in the Workstation configurator I guess it could be ordered if they have it.Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 07 Mar 2017 at 2:57pm

Quote Harlequin115 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:18am
Wanted to pop back in here and thank you all for your advice!  especially -- I ended up going with a rig that is nearly identical to your recommended X99 system, except I ended up downgrading to the 6900K. Looking over my likely usage, I really couldn't justify the extra expense for two more cores. I really thought through the Ryzen, which looked like incredible value for money, but I'm a little gun-shy given the price of this rig and the inconsistency in support for the processor at launch. Long-term, that probably would have been a better value play, but I'm a bit risk-averse right now, as I'm sure you can understand!

Most importantly, though, thank you for your interest, and for taking the time to walk me through my earlier water cooling questions. I feel much more confident in this purchase, and I'm excited for it to arrive! Will post photos and a quick review when it does!

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:58am
Congratulations Awesome. That will be one Strong system. Keep us posted.Big%20Smile

Quote Harlequin115 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 2:26pm
Short update: shipped yesterday!

Night falls, and now my wait begins....
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:07pm
Nice!

I did some research on LEDs...so the ASUS board uses 12V instead of 5V for their LED header. They also swap a couple of the color positions in the pins, so that needs to be accounted for with an adapter (or soldering across wires, if you're up for that).

Sorry for the bad advice above on this...Asus advertises 5050 compatibility, but that is very loose.    If you don't intend on changing the color often or have it linked to something going on with the computer, the remote should be just fine. If you want to have it linked to temperature, music, or sync'ed with the motherboard lights, you may want to look into a solution like Cablemod's magnetic LED's. They have an adapter included for the Asus header and (assuming they haven't switched to aluminum cases for the Aventum 3 yet) will magnetically stick to the case, instead of dealing with an adhesive.
 Post Reply Post Reply