FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Comparing Vanquish 5(2) to Asus G11

Post Date: 2016-02-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ruralroute View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ruralroute Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Comparing Vanquish 5(2) to Asus G11
    Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:33pm
So I came across Digital Storm a short while back after reading some great reviews from a number of sites. I was also happy to find out that a shop opened here in British Columbia(In Vancouver myself). What attracts me seems to be the quality of the product and the support.

I don't mean to come off as cheap, but for the majority of products DS provides I just can't justify the price. With that being said I've still been leaning heavily towards DS because I know the quality will be there.

While I'd like a larger budget my price point comes in around the Vanquish 5(level 2) model. My questions and concerns are in relation to another pre-build I've been comparing with, the Asus G11. I'll list the basic specs of both below, but I'm having trouble disagreeing with the price and specs of the Asus G11. Don't get me wrong I know that there's going to be no questions that I'll have more confidence buying from DS, but I feel like the specs of the G11 are really hard to argue with.

A few things I was hoping someone could clarify or correct me on are:

- The Asus G11 gives me one of the top CPU's in the i7 6700, compared to the i5 6500. From what I can read up on I think either will do the trick for my needs, but why not get the i7 6700? It's the CPU used in most of DS's higher end models and the Asus gives me it for a lower price.

- Graphics card wise I wish I had the option to upgrade the Asus to a 970 like the Vanquish, but the 960 is still no slouch and this is something I can change out for reasonably cheap myself in the future.

- RAM...Asus has it beat there.

- Hard drive. I'm no expert but I believe I understand the majority of perks for the SSD, but they just seem so expensive for what appears to be such little benefit. I play all kinds of games and I understand thet will help load times, but 250GB is nothing in terms of space. Does this not force you to have a secondary drive anyway? Is it crazy for me to think that despite the speed getting 2TB heard drive is just a better option. I realize I can change this in my build on DS as well to bring the price up or down. I'm hoping someone could clarify the perks or reason for the small SSD over a larger HDD, rather than just load times and noise.

- Asus G11 has wifi which is actually really handy for a number of networking features I use around the home. Also comes with an Asus keyboard and mouse. I've used the keyboard and it's solid, mouse is bad.

Appreciate any comments or help. I've been reading plenty of posts from the community and everyone seems great. Thanks in advance!

Budget:
$1600 (Approx CDN)

Expectations:
Mid-High desktop that will last for 5 years plus, running the current gen at a very high quality, and get me by into the next 3-5 years with it's core components. I'm willing to update graphics cards etc as I have in the past, but want the core of the build to be able to stay intact for this time period.

Usage:
Daily. Games of all types, web, video(movies), and video game development(game engines, basic 3d software).

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:

Vanquish 5 Level 2 Specs:
- Base price $1,639
- Intel Core i5 6500 CPU
- NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB
- 8GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory
- 250GB Samsung EVO SSD
- H110 Motherboard
- 600W Power Supply
- DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
- LED Internal Lighting
- Microsoft Windows 10

Asus G11 Model
- Base Price $1499
- Intel Core i7 6700 CPU
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB
- 16 GB (2133 MHz DDR4)
- 2 TB HDD
- H110 Motherboard
- 500W Power Supply
- DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
- LED Internal Lighting
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Wifi
CougarX6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote CougarX6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:51pm
I'm sure the really tech minded folks will chime in here soon.  But here is what I put together for myself.  I wanted as close as possible to the old Vanquish 4 level 3 as I could get and was able to get a WD Black 1TB hdd, Blue Ray and 16gb of 2666 ram for $1500 customizing the V5 Level 3...

- Intel Core i5 6500 CPU (not interested in overclocking)
- NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB
- 16 GB 2666mhz ddr4
- 250GB Samsung EVO SSD
- 1TB Western Digital Black hdd
- Z170 motherboard
- 750w Power Supply
- Blue Ray & DVD Writer/Reader
- LED Internal Lighting
- Microsoft Windows 10

Only thing you may want to change is the Processor and for not much more, you have a much nicer PC in my opinion.  Might not be able to pull the trigger myself until May... here's hoping DS doesn't make any more changes before then Ninja

My New Monster...
Vanquish 5 Level 3
3.2 ghz Core i5 6500
750w PSU
16gb DDR4 2666mhz
500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD
1tb Western Digital Black HD
GTX 1060 6gb
Windows 10 Home
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 8:12pm
If you want a case that can be upgraded, you will want a replaceable rear I/O plate, not a stamped one with tabs, as well as a standard PSU mount, not a proprietary mount (you can drill it out to fit a standard unit, which I've done with a mass pre-built many years ago, but that will get messy).

An i5 with a GTX 970 will play games much better than an i7 with a GTX 960. The benefits of hyperthreading won't matter too much, but the additional graphics power will give a substantial boost to the frame rate of your games.

Edit:

An SSD will offer a significantly noticeable improvement in load and boot times over an HDD. If you need more storage in the future, that is an easy upgrade.

Edited by  - 23 Feb 2016 at 8:17pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 4:38am
The 970 as stated is significantly stronger in gaming than the 960. Yes, you can upgrade the 960 to 970, but there goes the savings you're comparing.

No contest, i5 with gtx 970 and i7 with 960.    The DS also has a larger psu. Might come in handy with future upgrades.

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Feb 2016 at 4:39am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:16am
Just checked and the Vanquish 5 level 2 base price is $1140, not $1639, several hundred less than the other competitor you posted.  Less money for much better performance. 

If you want the I7, the V5 level 4 for $100 more than the competition, will give you a better motherboard, larger power supply and the gtx 970 after you drop the 980. 

I'm not DS sales Hahaha but you just can't go wrong with Vanquish price per performance, imho.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 7:01am
Originally posted by bprat22

I'm not DS sales Hahaha but you just can't go wrong with Vanquish price per performance, imho.

And that's without factoring a lively and knowledgeable forum Awesome and excellent service from DS in the strange case you need it.Strong

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:21am

Just checked and the Vanquish 5 level 2 base price is $1140, not $1639, several hundred less than the other competitor you posted.  Less money for much better performance.  If you want the I7, the V5 level 4 for $100 more than the competition, will give you a better motherboard, larger power supply and the gtx 970 after you drop the 980.  I'm not DS sales Hahaha but you just can't go wrong with Vanquish price per performance, imho.

Hi bprat22,

He is in Canada. I wonder if the prices in Canada are different than in the US.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:22am
Good point, Frank.   Not sure.  Big%20Smile

You're right, Frank.   Just checked Canadian prices and yep, the level 2 is $1639.

ruralroute will just have to move to the US.  HahahaBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Feb 2016 at 8:30am

Quote ruralroute Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:35am
First I'd like to say thanks for the initial responses!

Very courteous and informative. I'm happy to hear the responses, especially with regards to the difference and value in return between the CPU and GPU of the two compared items.

The price discrepancy mentioned above is because of the USD to CDN dollar. So my initial price assessment of the V5s2 is still correct at $1649, not $1140 as referred too in a previous reply. I would love for the CDN dollar to be a little more on par, but that's not the case. I'm currently losing .30 cents to the dollar. ;)

I'm still playing with a few ideas in the configurator between Vanquish's level 2-3, and def willing to up my budget a few hundred if I know it will save me down the road. I just want to be sure I'm putting that money towards components I will see a noticeable return in, and not something I wouldn't realize I'm not even utilizing.

CougarX6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote CougarX6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 9:23am

Good point, Frank.   Not sure.  Big%20SmileYou're right, Frank.   Just checked Canadian prices and yep, the level 2 is $1639.ruralroute will just have to move to the US.  HahahaBig%20Smile

I never noticed the toggle for Canada. Wow, that's a wicked exchange rate. Definitely move to the US!
My New Monster...
Vanquish 5 Level 3
3.2 ghz Core i5 6500
750w PSU
16gb DDR4 2666mhz
500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD
1tb Western Digital Black HD
GTX 1060 6gb
Windows 10 Home
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 9:25am
Depending on your needs, I would put more emphasis on the graphics card for any gaming.  Your monitor's resolution will determine the best card.  For 1080p, the gtx 970 will max most games right now. 

For your 3D, the i7 with its Hyper-threading will make a difference, again depending on what level rendering.  If its light weight , the i5 still works great.

The H110 mobo is the less expensive but doesn't allow overclocking of the cpu and might restrict the ram total to 32gb, which should be plenty for most.   It's 2 DIMM slots will mean replacing the ram sticks instead of just adding on if a ram increase is desired.

Power supply...I would go 600 watt minimum just for the future.  500watt is considered minimum for a 970. 

Just some thoughts.  Big%20Smile

aaronw View Drop Down

Quote aaronw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by CougarX6

I'm sure the really tech minded folks will chime in here soon.  But here is what I put together for myself.  I wanted as close as possible to the old Vanquish 4 level 3 as I could get and was able to get a WD Black 1TB hdd, Blue Ray and 16gb of 2666 ram for $1500 customizing the V5 Level 3...- Intel Core i5 6500 CPU (not interested in overclocking)- NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB- 16 GB 2666mhz ddr4- 250GB Samsung EVO SSD- 1TB Western Digital Black hdd- Z170 motherboard- 750w Power Supply- Blue Ray & DVD Writer/Reader- LED Internal Lighting- Microsoft Windows 10Only thing you may want to change is the Processor and for not much more, you have a much nicer PC in my opinion.  Might not be able to pull the trigger myself until May... here's hoping DS doesn't make any more changes before then Ninja

Nice that's almost exactly the spec I customized my vanquish 5 lvl 3 to be. It came to around 1500 and really you can't do better than that if you don't care about oc and liquid cooling. For my needs that's just more to deal with than necessary.
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 4:41am
Here's somthing to consider with the G11 you get a 1 year warranty   with the Vanquish you get 3 year warranty and lifetime tech support.

Quote ruralroute Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 8:34am
Hey Guys & Gals,

Thanks again for all the feedback. I actually had the time last Friday to swing by Digital Storm's showroom out in Vancouver(Burnaby to be exact) and talk about a few options with the gentlemen out there. Very friendly and helpful.

Just to future proof I've opened up my budget a bit and I'm looking at the Vanquish 5, Level 3. I'll probably pull back on the GPU from the 980 to the 970 to save $300+ and get me closer to $2000 CDN. I'd also look to add an HDD down the road, but no rush.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 9:04am
Good move switching to the 970.  The 980 isn't all that much better in gaming, for the price.   Better, Yes.    Maybe 10-20% better, the higher resolutions above 1080p getting the 20%. 

Gtx 970 is a definitively  better bang for your buck.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 29 Feb 2016 at 9:06am
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 3:13pm
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse
Nari Ultimate Headset