Cool and Quiet

Post Date: 2015-03-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bronwen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bronwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Cool and Quiet
    Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 1:29pm
1. Budget        $3k
2. Expectations   Cool and Quiet with enough power to play games at 2560x1440
3. Usage  Games like SWTOR, Skyrim, ESO, PoE, etc.
4. I live in a desert environment. The two killers I have right now are heat and dust. I currently have a Bolt system with a Titan card in it. I spend more time cleaning out the dust then I do playing on it.I am looking at the Slade system. This will be my third system from DS. ;) Here is what I have as a starting point. Not sure if i should go with the i7 over the i5 and the power supply are my only two areas i am not sure of. I really don't want to run SLI so i am looking at 1 980 card.

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1165113
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 1:59pm
You could try to put some magnetic fan filters on your case on the intakes (not sure what the clearance is like on the original Bolt, but you may be able to put them on the inside of the cover.

The configuration looks good. I'd change the PSU to the EVGA unit and would suggest getting an i7-4790K at stock clock speeds over the i5-4690K with a modest overclock.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 2:02pm
Hi Bronwen,

That is a good build. The only thing I would change is the PS to a 750W EVGA SuperNOVA. It is modular with a good warranty.

The Slade is cool and quiet but it is still dependent on its environment. If you computer room has dust your cooling fans are going to suck it into the Case. Case filters help but it doesn't block it all. The other problem is heat. Air and Liquid cooling systems are also influenced by the ambient air around the computer. If you don't have air conditioning and live in the desert you may have cooling problems. I lived in Phoenix for five years and I know that dust will migrate into even a well sealed home. Even so I never had a bad dust problem with my computer.

Frank
Bronwen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bronwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 3:15pm
The room temperature is pretty good. The dust is the downside. I know the filters won't keep it all out, but if it can help slow it down then that will be better. Right now with the Bolt i have the only thing that gets really hot is the Titan. Even then it is operating at normal temperatures. Thanks for the suggestions on my build.
 Post Reply Post Reply