Liquid Cooling Thermostat

Post Date: 2017-06-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Liquid Cooling Thermostat
    Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 3:24am
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts,

I've often wondered if liquid cooling for computers uses a thermostat or something with the same function..

For those who don't know; in an automobile a thermostat throttles coolant flow long enough for the radiator to dissipate the heat.
Without a thermostat, the coolant flow is constant through the radiator an it cannot dissipate the heat; causing the engine to overheat.

So is a thermostat needed on a computer liquid cooling system? Is the flow controlled by a radiator exit orifice smaller than the entrance orifice? How is the coolant flow controlled?

I ,obviously, have never owned a computer with liquid cooling and wonder how it works. Any input would be helpful   
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 3:39am
In an automobile the thermostat is used to restrict flow of coolant to bring the engine temp up to a desired level and keep it there. 
In a pc the coolant is to keep temp down since being elec it is instant on and with loads it only goes up. You want it down for longevity.

That being said, some other members will probably really give you a technical explanation.  I have seen flow meters but no flow restrictors/thermostats but Im%20with%20StupidBig%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 02 Jun 2017 at 3:40am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 5:27am
hoserator,

Yes, I realize the auto thermostat brings operating temps up or down to the temp rating on the thermostat depending on ambient temps.

It makes sense that the computer cooling system only needs to bring temps down but I am confused about what "with loads it only goes up"? Does "it" mean the RPM, power draw, pump pressure or do you mean temp goes up with load and the coolant flow is constant without any adjustments?

If the latter is the case, then too much load (overheating of components} can only be cured by installing a larger capacity radiator, faster fans, or refrigerating the coolant? Are the radiator fans on these units controllable or do they run full speed always? Just wondering.....thanks for your replies
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 5:34am
No thermostat and no variable pump.   The speed of the cooling fans determines the CPU temperatures as the heated water passes through the radiator and the air flow through the fins dissipates the heat.    

The Bios or other software can be set to increase the fans as the CPU temp climbs. Or just left at a constant speed for the heaviest load.   

Edited by bprat22 - 02 Jun 2017 at 5:40am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:17am
In a computer water cooling loop, you want the coolant always flowing in the system, otherwise the components will quickly overheat and either throttle down or turn off completely. Unlike cars, you do not need the computer to warm-up to an operational temperature, so there is not a need to turn the loop off at any point. Measuring coolant temperature is just a means to handle overall system temperatures.

There are both plugs and pass-through thermal resistors (standard 10K Ohm @ 25°C) for measuring coolant temperature.

While it isn't necessary to measure coolant temperature, it is an alternative method that can keep fan speed more consistent, as the coolant temperature in the machine will fluctuate less than the components. You'll want to keep the coolant temperature low enough to have substantial difference in temperature between it and the components you're cooling, but the coolant temperature going into the water pump will probably be the limiting factor at 60°C maximum.

Certain boards, like Asus' ROG boards may have two-pin headers for the 10K Ohm sensors, but you can also go with a stand-alone system, like DS' fan control board, Lamptron controller, or Aquacomputer Aquaero. I just got the Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT for my build the other day to measure the coolant temperature at all the points in the loop, as well as ambient air temperature (one method to control loop temperature in a consistent way is to keep the delta T between the coolant and ambient air at a target amount).
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:44am
Just to clarify, our systems are designed to not require our customers to feel that they need to monitor or worry about these technical things.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 2:35pm
Many thanks to bprat22, hoserator, Alex, and especially "No Name" for the informative replies.

Now I think I have a pretty good idea how the liquid cooling works.
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

Post Reply Post Reply