FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My final build and order

Post Date: 2015-09-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Uglyyoda View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Uglyyoda Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My final build and order
    Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 1:33pm
Budget:

Expectations:
First foray into a custom PC. Have always invested every 2 to 3 years in a gaming PC as defined by DELL, HP, others. Have not been very pleased in how they operate. Decided instead of spending 1500.00 to 2000.00 every two years with only limited ability to play gaming content, I would invest in a custom build that could be upgraded over 4 to 5 years to keep up with gaming content.

Usage:
Gaming: WoW, EVE, Witcher, Starwar's, Titan Fall, Destiny. Also connected to home media center for Music, Music Videos, Movies, Pictures.

Special Needs:
Connectivity to home media and support newest curved monitors when they come out with 144hz refresh (my Christmas gift hopefully). I was not comfortable with a custom liquid cooling system and the required maintenance I would have to do (four thumbs when it comes to PC's), can build a motorcycle from scratch though. I also went with a single titan card after having discussion on how it would work with most MMO games and having the ability to go to SLI later if needed instead of using two 980ti's. I also wanted the ability to move to a full air cooling system if needed without to much trouble. I did ask for Blue braided power lines, light bars for the memory to add some light show. And where I could I did upgrade within the budget. They also found a closed loop liquid cooling system for the Titan X card which I added.

Appreciated all the input from this forum. Let me know what you think.

Uglyyoda

Saved Ticket #: 1283205

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1282405

Description:
QTY:
Unit Price:
Total Price:
Item 1 --- Digital Storm Velox (Config # 1283205)
$5,012.00
$5,012.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Zx (Includes Audio Control Module)

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Edited by Uglyyoda - 16 Sep 2015 at 1:38pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 2:52pm
Hi Uglyyoda.... Looks like a good build to me.

If you want to save $600-700 then change the 5930k to the 5820k and swap the Titan X for the gtx 980ti.    For a single or sli card rig, the 5820k is all you need. For a tri-sli build the added Pcie lanes with the 5930k would be needed. The number of Pcie lanes is the main difference.

The gtx 980ti is about the same gaming as a TitanX for lots less,especially for resolutions below 4k monitors. Nothing wrong with TitanX, just that benches show the same performance within a few fps.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Uglyyoda View Drop Down

Quote Uglyyoda Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 3:01pm
Thanks for the input. I already placed the order but knowing that I was looking to upgrade over 4 year's I tried to look at the max system that could I might possibly need.   In some of the articles I read SLI might or might not be around based on future card development. I figured that the type of games I am playing the Titan might be overkill but the prices will probably come down in two years and I could add a second or even third if needed.   I did not think I would need the Rampage so went one down from it on the mother board.   As I said I am still learning about custom builds and all components and how they work. This forum was very helpful, especially when it came to cooling. I chose the Velox just in case I decide to convert to just air cooled in the future.

Regards,

Uglyyoda
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 3:03pm
he can still get tri-sli with a I7-5820K (w/28 pcie lanes) in an x8/x8/x8 config.  that mobo supplies 100% power to all cpu lanes/mobo pcie slots.  

Edited by db188 - 16 Sep 2015 at 3:04pm
jackbutler68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 3:07pm
I agree the 980ti (strix edition) would have been the way to go. If you look at the becnhmarks it actually out performs the Titan in 1440p and 4k setups and is less money.
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Uglyyoda View Drop Down

Quote Uglyyoda Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 3:17pm
I will ask if it is to late to update my order.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 3:44pm
You can still overclock the Titan and get results better than a 980 Ti. Keep in mind that the chips both the Titan and 980 Ti do not have good voltage scaling. This gives the Titan the upper hand.

Here's a video on how to overclock an NVIDIA GPU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF_89emuI9k. It doesn't void the warranty with these methods.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 3:51pm
Other people may want to chime in on this. I was basing my post on the Asus Strix 980ti which is factory overclocked and those are the benchmarks I was looking at.
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 3:57pm
Here is a link to a good review and some benchmarks.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_ti_strix_review,1.html

The 2 cards are within a few frames of each other depending on the game which one wins out. Again for the difference in cost I think the 980ti strix is a better card for the money.
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 4:27pm
yeah, ~$300 more for 5% more performance just doesn't hit that value mark for most people.  then there are those who have to have the pinnacle at any cost.  or those that want to run 3x4K monitors with a couple (few) of those Titan X's in them.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 10:11am
Originally posted by db188

he can still get tri-sli with a I7-5820K (w/28 pcie lanes) in an x8/x8/x8 config.  that mobo supplies 100% power to all cpu lanes/mobo pcie slots.  

That is true.    I just think of saving a few bucks with an sli setup, but once a tri-sli is put together, what's another $243.  Hahaha           
 Post Reply Post Reply