FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need config help for new game system

Post Date: 2016-01-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blackcatfoe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need config help for new game system
    Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 1:18am
Budget:
$2k to $3k

Expectations:
Gaming primarily mostly Sims, MMO's, Strategy, and some FPS.
Will use with current monitor 1440p gsync 144hz. I game at 1440.
Currently own Geforce 980 Ti I picked up last Oct. 2015. Plan to install in new system so can video card be deleted from order? Don't need a second.

Usage:
gaming. beginner video editing. intermediate use of photoshop and myan 3D.

Special Needs:
able to handle general family and youtube video editing

Saved Ticket #: 1352613

Specifications:
Difference between 16GB to 32GB in ram? Would it matter?
Also difference from selected to higher end MB?
Recommended drive setup for video editing?
Recommended cooling options?
Overclock or not?
Win 10 Home or Pro?

Thanks for the help.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 1:40am
This would be my recommendation:

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1352618
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Coridium
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: RAID 1: Mirroring: Drive Failure Data Fault Tolerance Protection (Requires 2 Similar HDDs)
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

32GB RAM would be good for large video editing projects, especially with a lot of cameras now taking 4K footage. A decent sized SSD for a fast working file folder is a very nice thing to have so you don't have to wait forever for the files to load and save.

Motherboard should matter too much in your case.

I put 2 2TB drives in RAID 1 (redundant - 2 x 2TB drives = 2TB of storage, but it one were to fail, you have a complete copy). You can bump the size up, but I'd stick with the WD Black drives at no more than 4TB capacity.

The H110i GT cooler has been well reviewed and will handle an overclock well. You should get at least a Level 1 overclock with the i7-5820K since you're getting it through DS...it is well worth it.

W10 Home is fine unless you want features like BitLocker (you'll need to get a TPM for that) or do advanced system administration.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 2:49am
I just need to point out that the video card can not be deleted from the order. DS takes great care in testing and verifying every piece and part of the system, and how they work together, before releasing it into the wild.

Having said that, you could always purchase a system with another 980 and then set it up to run in SLI....

Just a thought.

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 10:05am
Considering 30% of the time will be spent on video editing I have a few questions.

What is the difference between EVO and PRO SSD Samsung drives? The cost margin shows a difference.

Would RAID really benefit for the 2TB drive? I plan only to use for temp data storage as I have external backups for files.

Benefit of six core cpu to quad core? Wouldn't the application need to use the extra cores to take advantage?

For gaming to elaborate I mainly play currently modded Fallout 4, War Thunder, World of Warships, and SWTOR. Upcoming Black Desert online.

Thanks
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 10:19am
The EVO drive uses TLC NAND that has three bits-per-cell whereas the Pro has MLC NAND that has two bits-per-cell. MLC is a bit higher performing than TLC, but the device interface has become the bottleneck, so the difference is minor. The TLC NAND does have a longer lifespan, so the Pro has a 10 year warranty versus the 5 year warranty for the EVO.

The Samsung 950 SSD and Intel 750 SSD use an NVMe PCI-e interfaced, which is not the bottleneck in the system and the performance is considerably greater.

If you are using an external back-up, then you will not need a redundant array on your computer unless you're super paranoid.

Photo and video editing software applications typically can use extra cores in a hexacore processor. The shortage of Skylake processors have cause their price to go way up and the i7-5820K hexacore processor is now actually cheaper than the i7-6700K quad-core. The i7-5820K doesn't have an integrated GPU (which can't be used with a discrete GPU present until DirectX 12 features are fully utilized) but you will see benefits from the additional CPU cores.

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 8:34pm
Since 32GB on the RAM wouldn't Pro edition of Win 10 be better then Home?

So I changed the config with a x99 and a Skylake build and found pricing is almost the same. Other then the extra cores wouldn't there be any performance difference that places one over another?

I also changed the build to a Slade case. If another case is better feel free to add.

Changed the drives as I do not see a reason to keep a 10 year warranty drive as a usually change drives for larger ones after four years.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1353135
X99 build

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1353136
Skylake

Edited by blackcatfoe - 10 Jan 2016 at 8:37pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 10:01pm
Skylake is faster in gaming than Haswell-E because it is clocked higher + some architectural advancements that boost single core performance over that of Haswell-E.  however, Haswell-E is a "K" sku and is perfectly capable (with good cooling) of achieving good overclocking slightly inferior to that of Skylake.  the extra two cores of Haswell-E won't really benefit you while gaming (that's why the recommendation for Skylake to pure gaming configs), but will be highly beneficial to multi-taskers. 

also, if you are planning on more than 2 graphics cards, i'd also suggest a system based around X99/Haswell-E for the pcie lanes (up to 40) native to the cpu.  Skylake gets additional pcie lanes via the PCH on the mobo, but it is shaking out to be a little more strictly allocated then what was advertised pre launch.  you have to be very careful in your mobo selection when it comes to connectivity.  however, if you are planning on a 2 gpu or fewer + multi storage option gaming build, Skylake is your ticket. 

i always advise anyone doing any productivity work to get 32GB of system ram.  speed doesn't really matter, capacity is more important. 

i have one of the new Intel 750 pcie nvme 400GB ssd in my Aventum 3.  it's an expensive piece of kit but it's extremely fast.  you might consider putting one in your rig if you have the budget for it.  you can do your work on it and store it on your cloud. 

Edited by db188 - 10 Jan 2016 at 10:08pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 10:34pm
Thanks for the feedback just want to know now if Home or Pro edition for this build. I have no plans going SLI so Skylake seems like the way to go.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 11:01pm
You should be fine with home. The 64-bit edition is what you need to support 4+ GB of memory, and so far as I know, that is all that DS offers.

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 11:06pm
Any difference from the Z170 Pro Gaming MB to the Z170 Maximus VIII Hero?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 11:19pm
Minor amounts like better power delivery and other overclocking tools on the Hero. If you're planning on doing any significant overclocking yourself, then that may be of some value to you. Otherwise, save the money and go with the Pro Gaming board; it has almost complete parity with the Hero, except for a couple extra SATA ports (beyond the 6 from the chipset) using third-party controller so they'd be last resort, anyhow.

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 7:48pm
Ok so I redid the config a bit.

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 9:52pm
A couple questions:

What are you trying to achieve with the storage? Do you want a RAID configuration for the M.2 cards?...if so you'd want them to be the same size. If you aren't, then I'd go with the 512 M.2 and perhaps a 1TB 850 EVO SSD for your storage drive instead of the HDD to reduce power and noise.

Also, the 240mm radiator for the CPU will require the vent on top of the 550D case to be open, sacrificing the noise capabilities. You should either go with an air cooler of the 120mm radiator to keep sound down with that particular case. Otherwise, the 450D case would work just fine and cost less.

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 10:59pm
Im looking for a primary drive for OS and applications with a separate drive for games. As far as data storage I have plenty of esata and USB external drives for that
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 11:50pm
How much space do you need/want for each drive? There is also the option to set up logical partitions in the drives that allows for a single physical drive to have part of it read as one drive and another part as a different drive by the operating system.

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 12:22am
For OS and apps at least 125GB min. Not much. For games 500GB should be good.

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 2:35pm
So after reviewing needs from wants I found video editing will be done on a different system so this system will be 99% gaming. Maybe some video editing but will be rare now.

I have updated the specs below. I will be using an external drive for data storage. Already own a 980ti I plan on installing into this build once received. Any thoughts?

Digital Storm Desktop 868701     1     $2,224.00
System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Edited by blackcatfoe - 22 Jan 2016 at 2:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply