FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Velox Rig Questions

Post Date: 2016-02-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bwheeler5 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bwheeler5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Velox Rig Questions
    Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 11:22pm
Budget:
3,000 to 4,000$

Expectation:
Looking for a high end gaming rig with duel monitors.

Usage:
Just Basically gaming

Saved Ticket #: 1371418

Before I dish out the deeps I would like some advice on my current Velox build. I am looking to overclock to stage 2 with the 4.8GHz and I am hoping that the liquid cooling/fans will keep my overlocked CPU and GPU in check. Did I add too many fans for the noise suppression package stage 1 to even be effective? Also, any thoughts on my motherboard and if there is a much better option available with my current parts. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Specs:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB SeagateWestern DigitalToshiba)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i GTX - 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: Fan Blow-Holes: VREG/CPU & Graphics Card Area: Laser Cut and Mount a Side Window 140mm Fans
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 12:36am
I'd change up the CPU cooler to the H110i GT with 140mm fans. The radiator hoses are only long enough to go to the front of the case, and the typical fans there are 140mm (as opposed to 120mm, which the H100i GTX uses). I also recommend the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid that has an All-in-one water cooler built into it, too, so you'll have both the CPU and GPU water cooled, which will give you a system that will remain cool, even when under heavy load for long durations.

For storage, I'd recommend the WD Black drives for HDD's. They are a good deal more reliable than the Seagate drives.

I would remove the Thermal Management Control Board (the motherboard should be able to handle the fans just fine) and Fan Blow holes (the case is already very well ventilated). Just so you know, the Corsair Airflow fans are not high static pressure fans, so they will not work as well with radiators.

Unless you plan on doing a ton or multi-tasking or video editing, you do not need 32GB of RAM. 8-16GB will do just fine.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 3:26am
My understanding with their Hydrolux LITE cooler, is that they make the tubing custom length to match the case. For the Velox that might mean getting the CPU cooling rad mounted under the top, leaving the front fans open for case cooling without going to their higher priced Hydro Pro.

More money, however.

Good luck.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 4:48am
Hi Bwheeler5,

I made a few changes based on your use. You don't need 32Gb of ram for gaming. Changed the 1Tb HDD to a Western Digital for $19. Changed the GPU to A Strix for $16. The main change I made was to give you the Hydrolux LITE cooling for the CPU and the GPU. Ask DS to mount the Hydrolux LITE at the top of the case.

With the Hydrolux LITE cooling you don't need the Velox case unless you just like the looks of it. You can buy the Apollo case and save a few bucks. There is one problem with the Hydrolux LITE for the CPU and just one GPU. The radiator is a 240 and you won't be able to add a second GPU to the loop without adding another radiator. A single 120 would do it. Or you might ask DS to use the 320 radiator but don't include the second GPU. It all depends on if you might add a second GPU in SLI. The Hydrolux LITE is new to us so not sure what DS will do.

These changes are suggestions for your considerations. Just trying to offer some ideas on how to improve your system and maybe save some money.

Frank

Configuration Code: 1374931 Cost $3616

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)
Bwheeler5 View Drop Down

Quote Bwheeler5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 3:27pm
Thanks for all the feedback guys. This is my first rig and all of your input is very helpful. I chose the Velox to make sure that my overclocked cpu/gpu would be able to sustain and keep cool, but if it is not necessary with the Hydrolux LITE cooling then I might swap to the Apollo case. I will take your advice and downsize the ram as well. I would love to add a second GPU in the future and will see and try to swing the 320 radiator to compensate. Thanks again!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 4:10pm
The Apollo case will run yours or Frank's build with no problem.   The only time I'd be concerned is if you wanted to go 980ti Strix in sli. The Strix dumps its heat into the case and the reference 980ti doesn't. Then the Velox would be better although Apollo could probably still handle it.

Good luck.   

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Feb 2016 at 4:18pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:24pm
Just a heads up, we do use a triple fan radiator when possible with HydroLux LITE, especially on VELOX.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:51pm
Thanks Alex, good to know.

Frank
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 2:23pm
if your goal is to overclock both graphics (and why wouldn't you when you have a Strix version of the card) and cpu then i definitely wouldn't have both on a single rad (especially a thin rad).  you can get away with a single loop when you have multiple rads (as is the case with the Aventum 3) in the loop. 

also, a 240mm single rad is sufficient cooling for a solitary (mildly) overclocked cpu, but i wouldn't go pushing the ceiling on the oc with just a  240mm rad.  assuming you win the silicon lottery with your chip, and you want to push your oc the highest it will go, you'll want a 360mm rad.  4.8Ghz is getting into that range considered "high oc".  most of these Skylake's should be able to hit 4.6-4.7 fairly easily, but after that, it's going to take excellent cooling and special silicon to reach higher.      
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Bwheeler5 View Drop Down

Quote Bwheeler5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by db188

if your goal is to overclock both graphics (and why wouldn't you when you have a Strix version of the card) and cpu then i definitely wouldn't have both on a single rad (especially a thin rad).  you can get away with a single loop when you have multiple rads (as is the case with the Aventum 3) in the loop.  also, a 240mm single rad is sufficient cooling for a solitary (mildly) overclocked cpu, but i wouldn't go pushing the ceiling on the oc with just a  240mm rad.  assuming you win the silicon lottery with your chip, and you want to push your oc the highest it will go, you'll want a 360mm rad.  4.8Ghz is getting into that range considered "high oc".  most of these Skylake's should be able to hit 4.6-4.7 fairly easily, but after that, it's going to take excellent cooling and special silicon to reach higher.      

Thanks for the further advice. It's much appreciated :).
 Post Reply Post Reply