FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pulled Trigger. Made Mistakes. Should Fix Them?

Post Date: 2015-11-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Spartacii View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartacii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Pulled Trigger. Made Mistakes. Should Fix Them?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 12:35am
Hello. So I pulled the trigger this morning on the configuration below Big%20Smile but I made a few mistakes and I was wondering whether I should fix them or not.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (6TB Seagate)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
Chassis Fans: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Budget: $4800
Expectations: Gaming machine that can handle ultra settings for modified texture heavy RPGs at 1080P.
Used For: Single player gaming.
Not Used For: Photo/video/audio editing. No plans for 4K.
Special Needs: Using PC in an enclosed 5-sided cabinet (it is completely open at the back and has some openings at the front).
Would prefer a quiet machine but not necessary.
I have 5 cats and dogs.
Intimidated by water cooling.
Upgrade Plan: Upgrading the video card in two years. Single card only. No SLI.
Longevity: 4 years of gaming use then pass it along to a family member for web surfing only.

1) When I choose the the configuration above, I did not realized that the Velox chassis was not available until early December. Oops
I originally choose the Velox because I thought the airflow would help with the temperatures and since it would be used inside a cabinet, I could put up with the noise.
Also, the Velox is not as wide as other full tower cases which I liked.
Note that I have used my current Cooler Master HAF X computer inside this same cabinet for four years and I have never had an issue with temperatures.

Should I wait and stick with the Velox, change it to the Apollo instead or choose a different chassis altogether?

2) I originally choose the Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard due to its gaming/overclocking capabilities.
Also, I do not need WiFi on my motherboard.
The only reason I would consider another motherboard would be if it would offer the same gaming/overclocking capabilities as the Asus Maximus VIII Hero while also offering more port/lane connectivity.

Is there such a board or should I stick with the Hero?

3) I currently use 300 GB worth of apps/games and 2.5 TB worth of music/pictures/videos/comics.
So I figured that two to three times as much storage as I currently use would be enough for the next four years so I originally choose my storage as follows:

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (6TB Seagate)

I now realize Im%20with%20Stupid that for the same price, I could have chosen this instead:

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (800GB Intel 750 Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (6TB Seagate)

Would that be a better choice?

4) As I mentioned above, I am intimidated by water cooling. I have never used it and I currently use a Noctua NH-D15 instead.
I do not want nor have the confidence to do any maintenance if the HydroLux system ever needs it. which is why I did not choose it.
Having said that, I did choose the Corsair H110i GT 280mm instead in the belief that it would provide better temperatures and airflow than the Noctua NH-D15 while avoiding any possibility of maintenance.

Is that correct or should I ditch the Corsair H110i GT 280mm and choose the Noctua NH-D15 instead? Pros and cons to either? Confused

5) I originally choose 32GB of DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX.
Any true world gaming reason or noticeable advantage to using DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX or DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX instead?

I know that for my expectation of a gaming machine that can handle ultra settings for modified texture heavy RPGs at 1080P, my choices above are overkill, considering that I do not plan to do 4K until my next computer purchase in four years.
But, you know how it is. Drooling
Thanks for any comments.
Intel i7-12700K
Nvidia RTX 3090

AMD Ryzen 5900X
AMD Radeon 6800XT
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 1:27am
1) Up to you on what you want out of a case.

2) With the Z170 platform, you get 16 PCI-e 3.0 lanes from the processor and up to 20 PCI-e 3.0 lanes from the chipset (which goes back to the processor via 4 PCI-e 3.0 lanes). With X99 platforms, you get up to 40 PCI-e 3.0 lanes from the processor (28 with the i7-5820K) and 8 PCI-e 2.0 (half the speed of PCI-e 3.0) from the chipset (which goes back to the processor via 4 PCI-e 2.0 lanes). The Hero does the standard division of x16/x0 or x8/x8 by switching the lanes between the two primary GPU slots...that's as good as you'll get. There are a couple boards (Gigabyte G1 Gaming and EVGA Classified) that use a switch to split those 16 lanes out further, but the bandwidth between the GPU and the processor does not improve (and has added latency from the switch). ASUS did a fairly good job dividing the I/O from the chipset up for on-board functionality, so I don't know if you'll get much more there either. With X99, you'll get more PCI-e from the processor, but you'll be sacrificing on the I/O from the chipset.

3) The 400GB Intel drive is actually faster than the 800GB due to internal workings, but the 800 is still a bit faster than the Samsung drive. It's up to you what you want to do there. I would advise you to go with a 4TB WD Black HDD instead of the Seagate 6TB drive, though. Those high TB drives have a higher failure rate and Seagate also has a rep for higher failure rate, as well.

4) Correct in your assumptions

5) You won't notice it...the latency timings will probably be worse on the 2800MHz RAM, so the overall performance would probably be a wash.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 10:30pm
1) the Velox supports a 420mm (front) and 240mm/280mm (top) rads.  the other cases capable of supporting rads over 240/280mm are: Aventum and Hailstorm.  the question then becomes how hard to you intend to push your overclocking?  are you only overclocking the cpu?  or graphics as well??  if you're only going for a little oc on a cpu, you're fine with a high end air cooler (i.e. Noctua D15) or water with a 240mm rad.  you can push it a little more with a 280mm rad.  assuming you have a good chip you can push that 6700K past 4.5GHz on a 360mm rad.  if you're trying to cool cpu+graphics you're going to want more water cooling and a Velox case becomes the minimum mandatory to support it.  see where i'm going with this?  you get the case that you need to support the other components.  if noise is a problem for you, the Velox isn't such a good choice.  look at a Slade or Hailstorm (if also pushing the overclocks and multi-component cooling).

2) well, the Maximus Extreme just came out, but in all honesty even the Deluxe oc's like an animal so YMMV.

3) that Intel 750 is an awesome choice especially for handling loading high rez textures!  i agree with the switch to WD if going with a mechanical hard drive for data storage. 

4) you chose a mobo based on a stated need for pushing overclocking and then you buy an AIO?  i get that a custom open loop water-cooled system scares people.  they do require some maintenance.  the quick disconnects makes that maintenance rather easy tbh.  eventually an AIO will die on you and then you'll need throw it in the trash and buy something else.  an air cooler will last you forever (replacing a fan here and there) but you won't be able to push the oc.  there is a new product on the market that offers a "hybrid" solution.  EK has an expandable, quick disconnect, 360mm rad/pump combo that comes pre-filled from the factory.  i'm sure DS can special order this for you if you are so inclined. 

5) if you just want to set it and forget it, go with the LPX ram kit and set its XMP.  if you like to overclock your ram and mess with the timings get the Dominator kit.  as for speed differences you aren't going to notice it while gaming.  as for capacity, gaming only needs max 16GB currently.  if you were a power user doing rendering work, etc. i'd advise you get as much as you can afford. 

good luck with your buildBig%20Smile
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply