FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about upgrading my new PC!

Post Date: 2018-11-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
batzilla View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote batzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question about upgrading my new PC!
    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:34pm
Hi everyone!

Okay, I am a brand new DS customer! I received my Vanquish 7 Level 4 last week and am LOVING IT! It is AWESOME!

I have a 2 TB HDD that I was wondering if I could use on this machine. I know its compatible but so ,my question is, does this computer have the extra plug to use under the SATA HDD that is already in there? I have a 240 GB SDD drive as well as a 2 TB SATA drive. I know it has the open STAT drive bay but does it have the necessary plug to hook it up?

Next I noticed that the fan on the heatsink that's on the processor is PROBABLY in the way of installing the ram that would go in the slot that's closest to the processor. Should I look for "low profile" ram to use in this (and obviously the other) slots?

My PC came with 2 ram chips. 2 8 GB (so 16 GB ram total) and this motherboard has 4 slots.Thanks for any help!

I am having so much fun setting this up but I am aready out of SDD space so im getting a 1TB drive next week to expand my storage : )

That didnt take long toi fill up! haha!

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 9:02pm
You should have all the wiring for everything you could normally install. (If you have 4 HDD bays, you should have 4 SATA cables, etc.) They are bundled neatly, and sometimes obscurely, in the wiring tucked behind the mobo tray accessible from the right side of your case.

Your 16 GB of RAM will be more than you need for most uses for a long while. But, you want to make sure it's gonna fit if you get more!

Congrats and have fun!
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 9:07pm
You'll need a SATA cable and connect it to the motherboard with that. The SATA port is usually on the lower right side of the board with the 'L' shape internal key. That handles the data.

The power also needs to be connected to the drive. There is a SATA power connector that looks like a longer SATA connector with the 'L' inverted coming from the power supply in the case. Plug that into the HDD once mounted in the case. If the PSU is modular, you'll need to find the extra cables that DS sent and plug that in.
 Post Reply Post Reply