FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ram upgrading

Post Date: 2018-07-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gunner GzR View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gunner GzR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ram upgrading
    Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 7:06am
Hi guys i am thinking of adding more Ram to my system as my new game i am playing (EFT) is ram demanding. i currently have 4 sticks of DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX for a total of 16 gb. My mother board (ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V Extreme ROG edition) has 4 more slots i can use. so to my question.

DO i need to stick with 4 gb sticks or can i get 8 gb sticks and use them mixed with the 4 gb sticks?. i will get the same brand and series of sticks just not sure if i need to stick with 4 or can use 8.

one other question is 128 gb my max for this mother board?

Thanks For your help in advance.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 7:41am
That mobo has a 64gb limit I believe.

You can mix ram sticks and usually get away with it, but every board is different and you do run the risk of issues.  You never know for certain until you try it.   Matching voltage is the most important.  Not matching speed just means the slower speed the dominate.

Keep the 4gb in their own channels, told by the color of the slots or check the manual.  Put the 8gb in the other channels. 

Me personally, I would swap out the 4x4gb for 4x8gb, unless you really need more than 32gb ram.

There was a time that populating all ram slots would effect your overclock, the memory controller being taxed more, but not sure nowadays.

Big%20Smile

Quote Gunner GzR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 8:03am
ok will do thanks for the help
waipowrectdeapr1976 View Drop Down

Quote waipowrectdeapr1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by bprat22

That mobo has a 64gb limit I believe.
You can mix ram sticks and usually get away with it, but every board is different and you do run the risk of issues.  You never know for certain until you try it.   Matching voltage is the most important.  Not matching speed just means the slower speed the dominate.
Keep the 4gb in their own channels, told by the color of the slots or check the manual.  Put the 8gb in the other channels. 
Me personally, I would swap out the 4x4gb for 4x8gb, unless you really need more than 32gb ram.
There was a time that populating all ram slots would effect your overclock, the memory controller being taxed more, but not sure nowadays.
Big%20Smile

Very well said. I'm just keeping with the old habit of always having RAM modules in pairs. In the old days some motherboards had to have them like that. I know nowadays it's not necessary, but I stick with this anyway.

Quote Gunner GzR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 8:03am
Hi guys thanks for all the info.. I got it up to 32. Had to call DS because it would not boot but we figured out it was the over clocking that DS had set causing issues. Reset that and all is good. I am now looking at a video card upgrade from 2 970's to a higher cards

Edited by Gunner GzR - 05 Sep 2018 at 8:05am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 1:49pm
Just a word.... Don't get too carried away with improving on your 970 SLI. A single GTX 1080 is neck and neck with 980 SLI(!) at all resolutions up to 2k, and so will crush 970's.Your monitor resolution is the key. A 1080 is good to go up to 1440p at highest settings. Do some homework and save your money!
neverstopgaming View Drop Down

Quote neverstopgaming Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 12:10am
How is the system handling the new 32gb of ram? I'm sure that's plenty enough ram now. It's a good thing the price of ram has gone down with the times, I remember when ram used to be extremely expensive.
Shwiiiiiiing

Quote Gunner GzR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 7:50am
It is running well.   Escape from tarkov is running a lot smoother now with the new ram I am going to upgrade my graphics cards to probly the new generation but I have to run 4 monitors so I'm not sure what 1 I'm going to get

thanks everybody for all your help. Love my DS and also the DS community

Quote Gunner GzR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 10:11pm
ok upgraded from my 970s to 2 evga 1070 ftws...system is running great
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 12:57am
Originally posted by bprat22

That was/is true when the memory traces are fly-by/series (they run to run slot and then continue on to the other. Several vendors now, starting with Asus, switched over to T-topology memory traces. There the traces go to somewhere in between the two memory slots and split (sort of creating a 'T' shape) going to both of the slots. Due to signal reflections, it is actually advantageous to populate all of the memory slots then and can result in higher memory clocks for a T-topology with both slots filled (you will still get higher speeds with 1 memory slot per memory channel, though, but you have to change motherboards for that).
 Post Reply Post Reply