FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking Advice for Graphics Workstation CPU

Post Date: 2019-12-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MatthewF View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Seeking Advice for Graphics Workstation CPU
    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 6:44am
Budget:
<$7000

Expectations:
Workstation for Graphic Design

Usage:
Professional Graphic Creation: Heavy Photoshop, Cinema4d

Special Needs:
Balance between single-threaded Photoshop speed/C4d modeling and multi-core Cinema 4d Rendering.

Specifications:
Workstation CPU selection help needed.

I work for a small marketing firm as a graphic designer, and need help deciding which processor would be best for a new workstation. Most of my time is divided between Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Cinema 4d. The Photoshop work involves imaging and retouching some really large files (can be greater than 2gb), and the Cinema 4d work involves both modeling and rendering (thus the need for as many cores/threads as I can get without sacrificing single threaded speed). Multitasking and bouncing between multiple apps is the norm.

Another thing to consider - the company tends to buy a workstation and use it for up to 8 years with little or no upgrading. So I think whatever I get, I need to plan to live with it for a long time.

I’m really leaning towards the new AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x (32-core, 3.7GHz – 4.5Ghz)
The other considerations are
The Xeon W-3245 (16-Core, 3.2GHz – 4.4GHz)
and the i9-10980XE (18-Core, 3.0 GHz – 4.6GHz)

Are there any real advantages to the Xeon features, such as ECC memory and 6 memory channels outside of a server environment?
I’ve never had an AMD machine, but from what I’ve read, the 3970 looks really appealing. But then the new Intel i9 has the best price point – money I could allocate towards memory and video card. But like I said, I have to live with the machine for many years to come, so I can probably talk the boss into spending more if it’s really needed. Any reason to not go with the AMD?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:20am
Below is the configuration I'm about to submit for approval. Coming from a 8 year old i7 6-Core, I'm thinking this should have a huge impact towards improving my quality of (work) life!!!

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations or see anything they would do different?

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Antec Performance Series P101
Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X (32-Core) (Boost Up to 4.5 GHz)
Motherboard: MSI Creator TRX40 (Wi-Fi)
System Memory: 128GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair HX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: Digital Media Card Reader (Black) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans Internal
Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 1:26pm
Welcome to the forum MatthewF!

Powerful work build...You went with max CPU cores and RAM... I stick to Intel myself and probably would have gone with the i9-10980XE that can be Overclocked fully, so I’ll stay out of the AMD v Intel debate.    Given what you are using now, you are in for a big performance increase.   

ideas...

Use the Lumos or Velox cases instead for much better airflow and more case fans.    You will keep the case cleaner if you can see the components inside.

Use the excellent Corsair LL or best and quietest ML case fan upgrade...more effective cooling, 2 yr warranty for LL and 5 yr warranty for ML.    Control lighting creativity using Corsair iCUE software, including lights off if needed.    The ML have magnetic levitation bearings for lower friction and will last the longest.   The case fans are the first defense for longevity and daily performance of your expensive component choices. Stock low bid DS fans have only a 1 yr warranty.

Given your usage listed as a Photo & graphics content editor/creator, was surprised you only went with a RTX 2080 Super.    I would have thought you would be much better served with a RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB VRAM, or a Titan RTX 24 GB VRAM.    More GPU processing cores, more VRAM.     Either way, you go, you should know that for Adobe users, earlier this year NVidia turned on Adobe color spectrum and Adobe Creative features for all NVidia RTX video cards that were previously reserved only for Quadro commercial GPU’s.    Big work use boost for RTX card users.

I'm noting you only configured a single jumbo fast 2 TB M.2 NVME Drive1 and no other drives.    Normally we would advise doing a 500 GB or 1 TB Drive1 for the op system and a few important programs, and a larger Drive2 for all other programs & content storage.    You have 2 fast M.2 slots on the motherboard to use.    It would be easy to add more M.2 space later on as it just plugs into a port on the mobo.   Assume you will have other work drives to use.

DS 1 yr Parts Warranty can be boosted to a max 3 yr part replacement coverage...an easy sell for a work funded machine with the boss.

The Corsair AX1200I Platinum Efficiency PSU is my all time fav PSU.   If for budget room you need to drop to the Corsair 850W Gold Efficiency model, yes it would be enough for 1X GPU.
The Corsair AX1200i would allow you enough power headroom to acquire a 2nd GPU in SLI/NSync if ever needed.

MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 11:20am

HockeyBuck
Thank you for the advice.

All my past workstations have been Intel based, so this will be my first AMD endeavor. From what I’ve read, the new Threadripper is very fast in both single-core and multi-core performance. The benchmarks are very promising, I just hope the real-world use is as good as it looks on paper. I don’t want to start an Intel vs AMD debate either, I just don’t want to make a mistake that I regret for years to come.

I hadn’t really considered other cases – I just started in the Workstation category and went from there. But I really like the Velox case, and will probably go that route.

Fan upgrade – going with the ML case fan. Very good advice, much appreciated.

My decision to go with the RTX2080 Super was purely monetary. I considered the Ti, but it’s almost $600 more. The Titan RTX 24 is way too pricey. Since I don’t use any third party GPU render engines for Cinema 4d rendering, all my 3d rendering is CPU based.   The Digital Storm support team recommended the Quatro RTX4000 over the GeForce, but since the GeForce drivers now support 10-bit color, I don’t really see the reason.

Thanks again, Matt

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 12:39pm
Agree....NVidia will be selling fewer Quadro GPU now as they have finally recognized that many users also want to game after work with their home based work rigs.   Activating those RTX Adobe colorspace perks will sell far more RTX GPU’s and should keep far more powerful RTX cards coming down the line soon.

Good rig changes that should serve you very well.   Be aware that, to be different. lol, the DS Velox case places the motherboard and GPU upside down and thus the window on the right side.   The Lumos has the normal main window on the left side and motherboard is right side up.    Your rig is nicely designed CPU-Heavy and I suspect you will have cores and threads to spare for years to come using the AMD CPU.    Budget wise, you could easily add a 2nd SLI/N-Sync RTX 2080 Super if you find you need a reasonable GPU performance boost later on...or just plan on a GPU upgrade replacement in 3 yrs when something stronger appears from NVidia.

Let us know how the DS Order experience goes for you...
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 5:54am
From what I've seen, I think you'll find the 3790X will run rings around the i9-10980XE. (As it should for the money.) The difference from what you have should nearly astound. I, for one, would be interested to hear down the road how you think it performs. The majority of us are gamers, so it's not often we get feedback on these cutting edge procs.
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 8:28am
Order placed! 

I'll share my experience with DS and this build.  I didn't think I was ever going to get it approved - but as the year came close to an end, the Boss wanted the tax deduction!  AND I was able to negotiate the RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB VRAM!!!

Very Excited!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 11:44am
Haha...Now you have a stronger rig that makes work lots more enjoyable, and the boss is happier as well! Perfect....Should be a strong performance build that will be very upgradeable and should serve you very well. Cheers!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 3:45am
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 1:25pm
After three weeks and my order still in Stage 1, I contacted DS... only to find out the Velox case is out of stock. But they felt certain the shipment of new cases would arrive the next week. I checked-in again two weeks later and now they're saying it could be 3 - 4 weeks longer before the Velox cases are available.

So I switched my case selection from the Velox to the Lumos.   

DS said the build should take 7-10 days... so maybe by the end of next week (end of Jan)? I'm trying so hard to be patient, but the wait is driving me crazy!!!

Edited by MatthewF - 23 Jan 2020 at 1:26pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:16pm
Sorry to hear about the delay.   Same thing happened in December with long US Customs delays in releasing the DS re-supply of the black Velox cases.   

You should really like the Lumos ( Corsair Crystal 570X ATX case) as a bit more modern looking design with excellent airflow.   Really puts your components and RGB fans on show, and makes you keep up in keeping things clean...lol.    
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:06am
My order reached Stage 5, Stress Testing, a week ago (Jan 29th), and I haven't heard anything since. This is stressing me out!!! OMG - I'm failing the stress test!!!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:45am
Lol... I know they are still clearing production backlogs and dealing with part shortages from China, but you are clearly on final approach! This part you really want them not to hurry...as they will place your rig under full load and we want any component failures to happen on DS time...not on your time. Hang in there...good stuff coming soon!    

Edited by HockeyBuck - 05 Feb 2020 at 11:46am
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:52am
Thanks for the reassurance.  You're right - this is the part where I want them to be thorough and not to rush. The Digital Storm quality control process was a huge factor in deciding to go with them for this order.  It's getting close now, and once the machine arrives the wait will be behind me and will have been well worth it.
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 12:33pm
 ExcitedJust got the notice - Stage 6: Quality Assurance!!!

Edited by MatthewF - 05 Feb 2020 at 12:33pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 4:48am
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:12am
Update - The system arrived last Wednesday (Feb12th), but when I hooked it up, couldn't get a video signal.  Tried three different monitors and multiple cables, but nothing.  Spent the rest of the day on the phone with tech support (which was excellent) trying to diagnose / remedy the problem, but in the end had to settle for an RMA and ship it back.  They suspect the mobo, since there was NOTHING going to the monitor.  So sad.  Cry .  I'll post again when it comes back and is up and running!
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 7:51am
Seems like a giant leap to conclude it's the mother board. My first thought would be with the GPU - not seated properly; power supply cables not properly attached.

I found this link and posted it on another user's similar question:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/206319/Monitor+no+signal+after+start+up
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Online
  Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:01am
I am sure that tech support asked this question.

Were you plugging the monitor cable into the connection port on the graphics card and not to the video connection on the motherboard?
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Bob100

I am sure that tech support asked this question.

Were you plugging the monitor cable into the connection port on the graphics card and not to the video connection on the motherboard?

The motherboard doesn't have onboard video, which only adds to the difficulty in diagnosing the problem.   I tried different cable types (HDMI and Display Port) in all of the GPU connection ports. 

In addition, we tried moving the GPU to a different slot in the motherboard, resetting CMOS, booting without the HD, and the RAM shuffle. 

The GPU was getting power, the fans were spinning.  The reason tech support felt it was the mobo is that we were getting total black screen in all cases, not even a "No Signal" message.

Edited by MatthewF - 19 Feb 2020 at 8:16am
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:39am
Can you recall the post code on the motherboard?

Here is a link to the manual which contains the list of LED codes:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C59v1.1.pdf
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:52am

Originally posted by GrandesBollas

Can you recall the post code on the motherboard?

Here is a link to the manual which contains the list of LED codes:

I remember seeing the display, but I didn't know it was a debug code and so I didn't pay much attention to what it was showing. Well, I learned something today. Hmmm...that might have been helpful had I known.

Edited by MatthewF - 19 Feb 2020 at 2:46pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 5:55am
Very sorry for your issues. I feel for the frustration you must have over this. Electronics can be so... meh.
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 12:14pm
Tech replaced the GPU and updated drivers, and all seems to be going well. System is now in RMA Stage 5 (as of 02/21/20) - "Our quality inspectors are verifying that all issues have been resolved."
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 3:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply