FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Setting up a fan curve for GPU

Post Date: 2015-09-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
robertden View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote robertden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Setting up a fan curve for GPU
    Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 6:57am
Could someone walk me slowly through each step of setting up a fan curve? By the way has anyone else experienced hotter GPU temperatures since upgrading to Windows 10?I'd prefer using Nvidia software rather than let's say MSI Afterburner. The problem is none of my changes survive a restart> And in the Case of Afterburner it has no effect when I close the program even though I check "apply at Startup". Now does a default Nvidia card have an automatic fan curve? And when I click Auto, does that mean automatically saves a default curve or automatically saves user defined fan curve? But the main question is how to set up a fan curve that survives a restart or when the program is closed??

SLI Nvidia GTX 660TI(rarely use overclocking)

* I also posted this in the performance section of this forum hoping someone will answer.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 7:13am
Hi robertden....   I didn't see any temp increase with Windows 10 upgrade, so can't help there.

When I used a custom fan curve I used EVGA Precision.     Open Precision, click Fan Curve bottom right, on the screen that opens click Enable fan curve.   On the curve that pops up,   I moved it to have a 1 to 1 ratio, meaning at 40 degrees it was at 40% , 60 degrees at 60%, etc.    Click OK and then click Start up on home screen.  I would minimize and not close it down, although they say you can close it.  

For me it helped a lot with an older gtx 570.  With my gtx 970 I no longer use it.

Most video cards do have a fan curve in their bios.   But its more of a stepped curve where they keep the rpm low as long as possible for less complaints of noise.

Hope this helps.  Big%20Smile

Edit...the Auto setting has the card's default  do the adjusting.  

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Sep 2015 at 7:18am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 8:32am
I have placed my Vanquish on the EVGA precision curve at a 1:1 ratio, except at 80°c I shoot the fans to 100%. But that's me and I am really really paranoid about running in the 90° range. YMMV.

bprat - done
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Snaike

I

bprat - done

You da man.  Big%20Smile
robertden View Drop Down

Quote robertden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 9:15am
But you have to leave EGA Precision or Afterburner forever in the tray and in startup for a fan profile to run all the time or else the GPU bios will just default right?? Apparently one can't use the Nvidia drivers device settings tab in the Nvidia Control panel with cards newer than the 500 series, correct??
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 9:35am
I had it running but I did read somewhere it'll work just fine if its shut down and not just minimized.   On reboot the next day it worked fine for me.   Temps showed and the custom curve worked.  

You can also use the Monitoring tab to setup the temps to display where you want them.  

robertden View Drop Down

Quote robertden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 10:26am
Using MS Afterburner, the only way I can set it and forget it is to leave it running and at startup. Isn't there another way without 3rd party programs? There should be. I'm having this fan problem without overclocking. If I exit AB it loses any effect on my PC. And of course the same if I don't start it with windows.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 10:47am
I've never had or heard of issues using AB or Precision running.  I believe Asus, if you have an Asus mobo, has the option to control fans with its FanXpert under AI Suite.   It comes with the disc.  

Mine would start up every day, no need to re-initiate, so not sure the problem.   This was under Windows 7.  

Edit... Thinking twice, Fan Xpert might be just for fans plugged into the mobo and the cpu.  Check the manual. 

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Sep 2015 at 10:50am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 10:35pm
fan expert is just for the cpu, mobo, and chassis fans.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 10:44pm
under the "Performance" tab in the NV Control Panel you should be able click on "Device Settings" sub menu to set fan profiles.if you don't see the performance tab in the menu you need to dl "system tools" from the Nvidia site. 

if you don't mind experimenting with free third party software, SpeedFan is a good program to run for setting up custom fan profiles.

Edited by db188 - 25 Sep 2015 at 10:52pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 2:26am
Just me but Speedfan caused bsod randomly when I used it a few years ago.   Messed with different fixes like corruption, hardware drivers and finally just uninstalled it.   For me it was too much work with other programs that could do the job.

Don't think my experience was typical so if it works it is a good program.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Snaike

I have placed my Vanquish on the EVGA precision curve at a 1:1 ratio, except at 80°c I shoot the fans to 100%. But that's me and I am really really paranoid about running in the 90° range. YMMV.

Snaike, the temps shouldn't ever get close to 90° unless you've increased the target temperature of your GPU in Precision.  The GPU will automatically throttle back on clock frequency when it starts to approach the target temperature so it will not exceed it.
 Post Reply Post Reply