FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking about buying a Velox

Post Date: 2014-11-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Black Fire Dragon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Black Fire Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Thinking about buying a Velox
    Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 6:56pm
Budget:
6000-7000,

Expectations:
gaming at 1080, 60 fps

Usage:
Mostly things like ksp, prison architect, Payday2, the occasional AAA game. Might watch a movie once in a blue moon on it. Looking forward to Evolve, might get Alien:isolation and shadow of mordor.

Special Needs:
with the config I made, is a different cooling and/or psu option needed? thinking about ordering it around thanksgiving, might as well try and get any savings i can on it. also was wondering if i might as well add in a 3rd 980, or just swap them out for a titan(Z?). Thoughts?

Saved Ticket #: 1090472

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR (Ultimate in Audio Playback and Creation)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Black Fire Dragon - 08 Nov 2014 at 1:29am
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 7:02pm
I just want to point out that you don't need DS to tweak and disable services on the OS as it comes bloat free and you don't know what they will disable until you want to use a feature. Also most motherboard onboard audio is a lot better now so i would compare the audio specs for the motherboard you chose and the sound card.

The psu i believe will be plenty enough for what you have, if not someone will swing by and say something. Cooling is fine to.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 07 Nov 2014 at 7:03pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12

Quote Black Fire Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 11:27pm
Thanks for the advice on the OS, figured I might as well because half the time something is always bothering me when I'm trying to do something. And I don't have a clue what to look for in the way of sound cards, I just picked whatever looked good.

Edited by Black Fire Dragon - 07 Nov 2014 at 11:30pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 12:12am
This system goes well beyond 60fps at 1080p...a single GTX 980 could do it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review

Going over the specs:

Processor: unless you are going to do anything that is heavily threaded, like photo or video editing, or multitasking a ton, you probably will not make much use of the extra two cores in the 5960X and would probably better off with the higher clock of the 5930K

MB: Unless you plan on expanding the GPU configuration to 4-way SLI, the X-99 Deluxe is probably best. It has built in wireless, with 802.11ac, which has beam forming technology and is faster than the expansion cards they have.

Memory and power supply look alright

If you want to occasionally watch a movie, you may want a Blu-ray player instead of a DVD player in order to get movies at 1080p resolution.

I agree with AW777 on the sound card. If you want the best sound, hook your computer up to a good audio/video receiver with an HDMI cable. That will allow DTS-Master Audio and Dolby True-HD audio pass through. The computer does not have the proper decryption to decode and play this high quality sound. Also to keep in mind: your room that you are playing your sound in affects the quality more than anything else (source, amplifier, speakers, etc.).

For noise suppression, the Velox wouldn't be a good case...you'd be much better off with a Slade. I put this configuration together: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1090462

Edit: Clarification in text...I had to submit the post before my new DS Bolt II restarted from an OS update.

Edited by  - 08 Nov 2014 at 12:42am

Quote Black Fire Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 1:08am
Originally posted by 

This system goes well beyond 60fps at 1080p...a single GTX 980 could do it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review

Going over the specs:

Processor: unless you are going to do anything that is heavily threaded, like photo or video editing, or multitasking a ton, you probably will not make much use of the extra two cores in the 5960X and would probably better off with the higher clock of the 5930K

MB: Unless you plan on expanding the GPU configuration to 4-way SLI, the X-99 Deluxe is probably best. It has built in wireless, with 802.11ac, which has beam forming technology and is faster than the expansion cards they have.

Memory and power supply look alright

If you want to occasionally watch a movie, you may want a Blu-ray player instead of a DVD player in order to get movies at 1080p resolution.

I agree with AW777 on the sound card. If you want the best sound, hook your computer up to a good audio/video receiver with an HDMI cable. That will allow DTS-Master Audio and Dolby True-HD audio pass through. The computer does not have the proper decryption to decode and play this high quality sound. Also to keep in mind: your room that you are playing your sound in affects the quality more than anything else (source, amplifier, speakers, etc.).

For noise suppression, the Velox wouldn't be a good case...you'd be much better off with a Slade. I put this configuration together: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1090462

Edit: Clarification in text...I had to submit the post before my new DS Bolt II restarted from an OS update.

Thanks for the suggestions, most of the reason I picked two 980s was to be good for the next couple years of games, and the main motivation behind the choice of CPU was that I was thinking of going back and playing dwarf Fortress, and for those who don't know much about that particular game, it barely touches your gpu, it relies almost entirely on the CPU. So I figured the stronger the better.
The noise suppression choice is a bit more complicated of a reason… See my dog is very sensitive to noise and when my younger brother plays on his laptop the noise of it running makes her go crazy, running around, begging to go out, ect. I chose the noise suppression option to in hopes of avoiding the same thing happening with my desktop. I like the look of the velox, not sure the slade would look very good in my room. As for the blue-ray, I get my movies from downloading them from iTunes and the like. I almost never use speakers, normally listen through g35 headset.

Edited by Black Fire Dragon - 08 Nov 2014 at 5:00am

Quote Black Fire Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 1:25am
Took the considerations into account and changed the configuration accordingly, edited my original post to replace the ticket. Not sure why I selected the workstation class, thought I chose the rampage.

Edited by Black Fire Dragon - 08 Nov 2014 at 1:27am

Quote Black Fire Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 4:58am
cleaned up a bit of grammar in last night's posts, was trying to get some sleep. oh well.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 5:09am
Sleep?  SLEEP?!  Are you MAD?!  You've got a Velox about to be born, there's no time for sleep.  Get back up there, Mr. and get that beautiful rig built and gaming!

Grammar?  pshaw...  we ain't got no time fer grammar!
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 6:17am
There is no need for an audio card, the audio section of that motherboard is isolated, so no hiss or buzz. In general motherboard audio has vastly improved in the last few year.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 8:43am
One thing I missed, we could give you better suggestions for graphics needs, if you told us what your monitor configuration going to be (resolution and number).

Quote Black Fire Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 12:56pm
As it is, I might have made a mistake in doing the math for available cash on hand. I might not be able to swing it after all.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 11:46pm
There are a lot of price points between 700 and 7000... I am very sure that you will be able to find a unit that will be excellent for your needs.

Good luck!! Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply