FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heat from Bolt X

Post Date: 2022-03-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jboard View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jboard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Heat from Bolt X
    Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 4:01pm
I recently got a bolt x with Ryzen 9 5950x. When I fire up a game within mins the top of the case reads 115 to 120F on an infrared thermo. The current game IM playing is two point hospital not exactly a high frame rate situation.

I have never had a case get this hot before. Is this normal? are other bolt users seeing this? I do live in FL so the house is normally around 78F ambient. My old rig was an intel i7 extreme edition with an AIO and I never had this issue.

I tried to get in touch with support but I cant seem to figure out how to email them back then they close my case.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 4:24pm
Welcome to DS and congratulations on that system. Awesome

The Bolt does tend to run on the warm side since it is a Small Form Factor system and the heat has nowhere to go but inside the case. That said, the temp you want to monitor is not the case's (btw, use Celsius/centigrade and your case is a "cool" 49C) but the hardware inside. I use CPUID HWMonitor.

If heat becomes a problem the gpu and cpu have programing that lowers output to reduce heat all the way to shutting down before any damage occurs.

Enjoy. Smile
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 5:49pm
Measure your temps in °C, not °F. Anything less than 90°C for internal components is workable, 70°C and less is ideal.

And yes, Bolts do run warm but nothing they can't handle.

Monitor your internal temps with HWMonitor (as hoserator recommends) or any other temp program. Personally I use more than one just to make certain. (Speccy, RealTemp, HWMonitor, etc)
jboard View Drop Down

Quote jboard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 6:37pm
CPU says 77.7C
CPU package says 89C

after 10mins of a game running.

I was hoping to hear from BOLT X owners to see if this is normal, I'm trying to ensure I don't have an issue with my fans. I don't feel much air coming out and the fact that the entire case gets that hot just doesn't seem normal to me. Its ruining my experience cause its heating up my entire work area.

Edited by jboard - 28 Mar 2022 at 6:38pm
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 7:40pm
Like Snaike said, I think you are ok under 90C. From what I remember, the 5950x thermal throttles above 90C so you are getting close to reduced performance due to temp. I don't have a Bolt, but as another data point I am running a 5950X in a Lumos with an AIO (I eschew liquid cooling) and 6 Corsair fans (3 front intake, 2 AIO top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust) and I usually see high mid to high 60s to low 70s when gaming. What do your fan curves look like? Just reading this thread has got me playing with mine again...darn you. ;)

Edited by ealderson - 29 Mar 2022 at 11:34am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 1:07am
Do you have the special window with vents? DS used to provide one for the Bolt. Maybe call them and request one. You need a lot of air running through that case to keep it "cool".

And yes the systems keep the ambient where they are located warmer since they put out a lot of heat with the new hardware, my computer room is noticeably warmer year round than the rest of the house.
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 1:36am
As everyone above already mentioned, monitoring the internal temperature is the most important, and making sure your fan curves are aggressive enough can help.

There isn't much you can do about the rising ambient temperature in the room though. Your Bolt is probably using 500-ish watts of power, and that heat has to go somewhere. It's just like having a 500 watt space heater in your room.

If you're really curious about the energy use, you can get one of these:

Kill-a-Watt Meter
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 5:08am
I'm not a Bolt X owner, but I've seen this concern quite a bit in the last year or a bit more. The straight answer is that your temps are typical in the Bolt with recent hardware installed. They are not dangerous, and they are not a malfunction. The only relief seems to be the side glass with vent holes hoserator mentioned.    
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 5:35am
There are some suggestions and comments in this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/mwtljo/ryzen_9_5950x_temperatures/

People posting up their temps here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jubaz9/5950x_temperatures_post_yours_here/
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 8:27am
Originally posted by jboard

I do live in FL so the house is normally around 78F ambient.

Originally posted by JamesAstro

Your Bolt is probably using 500-ish watts of power, and that heat has to go somewhere. It's just like having a 500 watt space heater in your room.

Its ruining my experience cause its heating up my entire work area.

Mmmhmmm... So, if your home thermostat is set at 78ºF, then your gaming/work space could very well reach into the mid-80s -- maybe more. And, of course, as the ambient temp increases, so does the component temp (even without extra load).

Originally posted by Cretae

The straight answer is that your temps are typical in the Bolt with recent hardware installed.

This is in part (the other being cost) why I advise gamers not get the highest tier CPU, fall prey to the hype.
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
jboard View Drop Down

Quote jboard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 11:24am
Thanks everyone

my last extreme edition based rig which 4ish years ago was the best you could buy never got anywhere near this hot in the same place. This small form factor case is actually larger in height than my last atx case. Thats why I started this thread Im going to replace the fans with noctua and see if that helps get the hot air out.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 11:25am
By the way, if you find that your room temperature increases while gaming, I have a good solution: Get an ecobee thermostat with some remote temperature sensors. You put one sensor in each room of your house, and the thermostat will only use the sensors where motion is detected. This way, whenever you're gaming, the thermostat sees that the gaming room is getting warm, and it'll turn your AC on. I did this a few years ago, and it made my gaming room much more comfortable.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 11:26am

Thanks everyone

my last extreme edition based rig which 4ish years ago was the best you could buy never got anywhere near this hot in the same place. This small form factor case is actually larger in height than my last atx case. Thats why I started this thread Im going to replace the fans with noctua and see if that helps get the hot air out.

I have Noctua fans in my Velox machine, and I love them!
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 12:19pm

my last extreme edition based rig which 4ish years ago was the best you could buy never got anywhere near this hot in the same place.

First:
Originally posted by hoserator

The Bolt does tend to run on the warm side since it is a Small Form Factor system and the heat has nowhere to go but inside the case.

Vast majority of SFF cases have significantly restricted airflow (i.e. less space between components and bulky cable bundles) plus do not allow for as many/large fans. The Bolt X specifically appears to lack exhaust fans due to the skinniness. Therefore, the only forced airflow is whatever breeze makes it through the radiator.

Second: You do not say which graphics card you're currently utilizing. The upper half tiers of the RTX 30 series run quite toasty, and all of that heat is being blasted into the case. Without exhaust, the heat is being recycled and increased even more rapidly/significantly.
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 12:48pm
Based on the data proivded, those temps are within expectations, even with or without a SFF system, these high CPU core count processors can run hot.

As long as the system is not running near 90'C+ all the time, you don't have any stability issues, and performance is as expected (no thermal throttling) you should be good.
jboard View Drop Down

Quote jboard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 1:21pm
I run a 3070

is there diagram on how the airflows in the case?
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Cretae

The straight answer is that your temps are typical in the Bolt with recent hardware installed. They are not dangerous, and they are not a malfunction.

Originally posted by Alex

Based on the data proivded, those temps are within expectations, even with or without a SFF system, these high CPU core count processors can run hot.

I agree, the reported temps are not a problem.

An anecdote, I pushed a third gen. Core i5 at its max thermal limit of ~95ºC nearly 24/7 for about a year (doing Foldiing@Home) without issue. Basically, a server-type situation. It was working fine (relatively speaking with age) when I sold the system.

is there diagram on how the airflows in the case?

My insight/interpretation specifically regarding the Bolt X was from reading a few prior threads:

Stormy Experience - Bolt X

Bolt X Issues

Bolt x airflow

And watching:

HYPER BUILD With A Water Blocked TITAN RTX In A BOLT X! HYPER BUILD S1E4 | Digital Storm (YouTube)

I am not belittling the Bolt X design, simply pointing out there are indeed limitations in compact PC cases -- no matter which dimensions are squished. Plus the other, general gaming PC, factors discussed.

Edited by MrCheetah - 29 Mar 2022 at 2:02pm
jboard View Drop Down

Quote jboard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 3:08pm
Thank you MrCheetah
 Post Reply Post Reply